• Show
Clear All

• Joan, was this the side bar on Windmill, The Shaw Arms 1926
    Attached Files

Comment

• Have you ever seen The Estate as well laid out, Crumlin 50s
      Attached Files

Comment

• Looks good there Raphael I just read today about Herbert Simms he was the Architect who Built Crumlin Cabra Marrowbone Lane Pearse House and many other places. Chancery park Chancery Place the work he did was great and his houses and flats still stand because he used only the best materials,

He would not sign off on any complex if he thought the materials were shoddy. The houses may have been very cramped and small but so much better then what the families had been used to.

His use of a bath with a cover that was supposed to be a worktop also was a bit mad. Sadly poor Herbert Committed suicide when he was fifty he said in a letter that he felt overworked and over whelmed Most of His buildings were built in the thirties. He is known as the man who rebuilt Dublin
        Attached Files

Comment

• Not Crumlin Raphael but a place I know you still search for maybe one day you will find it
          Attached Files

Comment

• Old Crumlin Football Photos
            Attached Files

Comment

• CRUMLIN WALKINSTOWN HISTORICAL GROUP Excellent opportunity to learn and share knowledge of the history and heritage of the parishes of Crumlin and Walkinstown. EVERYONE WELCOME - Guaranteed interesting projects, research and exhibitions to be enjoyed.

https://tinyurl.com/ybhc662d Copy and paste to see poster.

Last edited by Butzs; 04-04-2018, 09:54 PM.

Comment

• CRUMLIN HISTORICAL WALK - Saturday 7th April 12.00 at car park St Agnes Church Pat Liddy will conduct an informative talk on the history and origins of the built heritage of the Village.

Comment

• Thank You Butz I look forward to seeing you there

Comment

• School Photo I think 53/54 Armagh Road
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Another Photo 1962/63 Armagh Road
                      Attached Files

Comment

• so will anyone take us into the old Corps disco...where I ceremoniously fell off the roof and broke my nose.......?

Comment

• Never remember the Corpo Disco Nick But then your younger then me as to a broken nose you were very lucky you could have been killed.

Most of us Crumliners managed to get injured during their youth, I once fell on a bottle going for a bottle of milk for a neighbour. It cut right through my wrist and my writing has been shit ever since because it severed tendons,

Lots of other injuries also one running from bold boys after a game of catch a girl kiss a girl. I was so determined not to be caught that I ran into a brick wall Shucks if I had known what I was missing I would not have run at all. But I have a scar on my head from the stitches. That is just two injuries lol!

Comment

• My Dad left Crumlin in 1981, My Mam had died and so after a lot of coaxing and a bit of hassle from the local teenagers putting stuff through the letterbox he agreed to move to my sister's house in Tallaght

Years later he talked so much about his Crumlin home that my brother asked the woman who bought the house could he visit it,

She agreed and my Dad walked into the house he had lived in for forty years with my Mam . He could not believe the difference, The house had been completely modernized and there was nothing of the old home left. Most of the neighbours were dead and gone. There were children of neighbours living in houses but he scarcely remembered them.

When he went to the Annual Party in the place he once worked he was shocked to see he was the only one left of his generation and although they made a great fuss of him he never went again

Thankfully today older people seem to be very much part of society.

My Late father never thought of himself as old and once on a visit to a Dublin Hospital he was surrounded with people his own age and he remarked on how old they looked and how someone would do them a great service by throwing a hand grenade into the room lol!

Before he died he also got permission to visit his childhood home on Brian Road in Marino and that was a very emotional experience for him. I think your best leaving the past in the past

His parents were both buried in Glasnevin yet I never remember him visiting the grave., He would say they are not there, Only old bones But myself and my Siblings still visit Mount Jerome to my Dad and Mams old bones always leaves me feeling sad so maybe he was right

Comment

• A very good friend sent me this photo of Glebe House
                              Attached Files

Comment

• In the forties the Greenshild stamp came out and there was great excitement with the Crumlin. My Mam included. Now in certain shops they could get stamps for purchases and after filling a book they could get something FREE.

In Crumlin The Local Draper was the only shop that had those but now clothes for kiddies and womens nylons were good for stamps. My Mam decided to get two books one for my sister and one for me.

Stamps were equally divided but it took ages to fill a book. Then my Mam had twins and she had to make a big purchase, They never bought clothes then until the baby arrived it was considered bad luck and she certainly did not know she was having two.

She went to the shop and bought double nappies petticoats and lots of other things my sister went with her and she almost filled my sister's book.

Well I kicked up murder and her logic was good we would fill my sister;s book and then we would fill mine. I couldn't wait to tell my dad. Who was also of the mind it was unfair lol! It was the end of the Greenshield stamps.

Years later I was married and a lot of shops traded them but you were so tired collecting them for a fecking iron maybe four books. I think most people got trired of the long wait and they realised they were buying silly shopping just to get enough stamps to fill the book.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X