Carrier Bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrier Bags

Since the introduction of the 5p charge for carrier bags in October last year, I have been telling customers at my work that it's not a new thing and that when I worked at Sainsbury's in 1979 we used to charge 3 and a half pence for a plastic carrier and 4p for a big paper one. I've been trying to find information online to verify this but can't find anything - I feel like I'm suffering from False Memory Syndrome. Can anyone who lived in the UK in the 70s remember paying for carrier bags? I'm sure I remember customers saying "can I have 4 Carriers please" before I started ringing up their shopping and having to check the bags out........

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
    Since the introduction of the 5p charge for carrier bags in October last year, I have been telling customers at my work that it's not a new thing and that when I worked at Sainsbury's in 1979 we used to charge 3 and a half pence for a plastic carrier and 4p for a big paper one. I've been trying to find information online to verify this but can't find anything - I feel like I'm suffering from False Memory Syndrome. Can anyone who lived in the UK in the 70s remember paying for carrier bags? I'm sure I remember customers saying "can I have 4 Carriers please" before I started ringing up their shopping and having to check the bags out........
    Your quiet right about that Kati. I remember Sainsbury's and Somerfields charging for plastic bags years ago.We used to ask for cardboard boxes to carry out our shopping.

It would seem that the controversial charge is a great success.
    The 5p charge for a single-use carrier bag has had a clear impact on shoppers' behaviour, six months after being introduced. | ITV National News

Controversial bag charge a success as shoppers will use six billion fewer plastic bags this year.
    Last edited by jembo; 30-07-2016, 04:05 PM.
    I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
    Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

22c per bag in Ireland
      The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

This bag charge here pisses me off i think its only 5 cents per bag but the profit from the bags was supposed to go to various charities so far it appears the charities received a big fat zippo... So the charge was supposed to be abolished and that hasnt happened either

In ireland i remember always bringing my own reusable bags when id be shopping dont remember buying bags at the stores.... My mother had the big huge wheely thing for her shopping and i see people here starting to use them again

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
          This bag charge here pisses me off i think its only 5 cents per bag but the profit from the bags was supposed to go to various charities so far it appears the charities received a big fat zippo... So the charge was supposed to be abolished and that hasnt happened either

In ireland i remember always bringing my own reusable bags when id be shopping dont remember buying bags at the stores.... My mother had the big huge wheely thing for her shopping and i see people here starting to use them again
          The wheelie bags are still around Helen. We have a lot of reusable bags here & i usually take one or 2 with me depending on whats needed. But there are times i find messages are needed & i have no bag i would just buy one. This could occur when i am at work lol.
          UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jembo View Post
            Your quiet right about that Kati. I remember Sainsbury's and Somerfields charging for plastic bags years ago.We used to ask for cardboard boxes to carry out our shopping.

It would seem that the controversial charge is a great success.
            The 5p charge for a single-use carrier bag has had a clear impact on shoppers' behaviour, six months after being introduced. | ITV National News

Controversial bag charge a success as shoppers will use six billion fewer plastic bags this year.
            Thank God for that......thought I was going mad.....

Comment

i have a bundle of the reusable ones too...but theyre generally at home or in one of the other cars when i need the bloomin things...so i cough up the 5cents per bag lol...one day i have time to spare i'll go on a crusade about them lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post

Helen; It's better to be pissed off than pissed on. lol

Comment

true ed hahahaa...you dont want to be around me when im pissed though..the cabra shows its colours hehee

Comment

Working...
                  X