Changes in Street names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes in Street names

Russell Place was, in the late 1800s, that part of present-day North Circular Road which forms the third side of a triangle with Belvidere Place & Fitzgibbon Street.

I'm trying to pinpoint where numbers 15, 16, 17, 18 & 19 Russell Place would have been on North Circular Road ; number 19 Russell Place was an 'Old Men's Asylum'

Any help appreciated.

The NCR? I'd say the Cabra mafia will be more helpful... they should be clocking in soon if they haven't already.

And welcome to the forum George.
    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Oh wait... that's my end of the NCR. I'll see what I can find out for you.

Comment

Thanks Rashers -- any pointer would be great!

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
          Oh wait... that's my end of the NCR. I'll see what I can find out for you.
          Did you manage to find out anything yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
            The NCR? I'd say the Cabra mafia will be more helpful... they should be clocking in soon if they haven't already.

And welcome to the forum George.
            the cheek of ya
            be afraid
            be very afraid of the Cabra mafia

Hi george

Comment

At the top of Eccles Street, where the Mater Misericordiae Hospital (opened in 1861) stands now, the Directory maps from 1796 until about thirty years later, and Byrne's Map of Dublin in 1819 mark a certain Royal Circus, whose form is indicated. It was projected but never constructed, It was to have been a splendid range of private mansions surrounding a circle instead of the usual form of a square. It was to have been approached by several grand streets, of which Eccles Street was one; and another, called Elizabeth Street, probably from Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Wm. Montgomery, Bart., and first wife of Lord Mountjoy, was to have started from Synnott Place then newly built. The Royal Circus comprised the site of St. Joseph's Church, the Mater Misencordiae Hospital, Berkeley Road and the streets west of it to the City Branch of the Royal Canal, It was intended to have included ground even
              beyond the North Circular Road, where Mountjoy Prison was afterwards built about sixty years ago. The only part of it which was, in fact, made, with the exception possibly of some of the houses in Eccles Street, was Cowley Place on the North Circular Road, built in 1792 and named after Lieutenant General Cowley who erected it. The three tall old houses of Cowley Place were demolished a few years ago. (Cowley Place was to have reached the Royal Canal bank near the 4th Lock, as the old maps show, It was to have been the eastern entrance to the Royal Circus. The corresponding western I entrance was to have been a new street, opposite to Cowley Place, almost exactly on the spot where St. Joseph's Church now stands, This street is marked as Margaret Place, and like the actual Margaret Place, (1818), N.C.R., near Russell Place, appears to have derived its name from the wife, afterwards widow, of Lord Mountjoy, Margaret, daughter of Hector Wallis of Russell Place.)

any help?

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
                At the top of Eccles Street, where the Mater Misericordiae Hospital (opened in 1861) stands now, the Directory maps from 1796 until about thirty years later, and Byrne's Map of Dublin in 1819 mark a certain Royal Circus, whose form is indicated. It was projected but never constructed, It was to have been a splendid range of private mansions surrounding a circle instead of the usual form of a square. It was to have been approached by several grand streets, of which Eccles Street was one; and another, called Elizabeth Street, probably from Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Wm. Montgomery, Bart., and first wife of Lord Mountjoy, was to have started from Synnott Place then newly built. The Royal Circus comprised the site of St. Joseph's Church, the Mater Misencordiae Hospital, Berkeley Road and the streets west of it to the City Branch of the Royal Canal, It was intended to have included ground even
                beyond the North Circular Road, where Mountjoy Prison was afterwards built about sixty years ago. The only part of it which was, in fact, made, with the exception possibly of some of the houses in Eccles Street, was Cowley Place on the North Circular Road, built in 1792 and named after Lieutenant General Cowley who erected it. The three tall old houses of Cowley Place were demolished a few years ago. (Cowley Place was to have reached the Royal Canal bank near the 4th Lock, as the old maps show, It was to have been the eastern entrance to the Royal Circus. The corresponding western I entrance was to have been a new street, opposite to Cowley Place, almost exactly on the spot where St. Joseph's Church now stands, This street is marked as Margaret Place, and like the actual Margaret Place, (1818), N.C.R., near Russell Place, appears to have derived its name from the wife, afterwards widow, of Lord Mountjoy, Margaret, daughter of Hector Wallis of Russell Place.)

any help?
                That's very good info Breda. I've checked the 1849 map and it's not there, just Russell Street (Brendan Behan's birthplace).

Comment

I was also thinking Grangegorman area where St Dympna's was there was also an Asylum there

There are a few interesting names to be mentioned on the North Circular Road between Phibsborough and the Park. St. Dymphna's, the residence of the Medical Superintendent of the Richmond Lunatic Asylum, is called after that Irish virgin, martyred in Belgium, whose feast occurs on the 15th of May.

Comment

if you have a surname you could try here
                    The alphabetical list of residents from Henry Shaw's Dublin City Directory, 1850

Comment

The alphabetical list of residents from Henry Shaw's Dublin City Directory, 1850

Morgan, James, 23 Russell place

Comment

Thanks Rashers & Bigby, for your help.

But I'm still trying to pinpoint how those Russell Place numbers tally with the current numbers on that particular stretch of the NCR (i.e. the section between Fitzgibbon St. & Belvidere Place).

Comment

Russell Place, NCR

To George, I was quite amazed to discover that Russell Place was in fact the North Circular Road! I have been looking for it further up the road at Drumcondra. My relations lived at number 19 Russell Place in the mid 1800's and now you tell me it was an Old Man's Asylum!! Does anyone know if it was just a row of houses on the Croke Park side of the road or was it both sides of the road? When did it change and become part of the North Circular's number system? It makes sense to me though - later these relations lived in Gt. Charles Street, Frederick Lane, Portland Street, Belvedere Place etc.

Comment

cabra mafia.............ya bloomin git ya.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                              Thanks Rashers & Bigby, for your help.

But I'm still trying to pinpoint how those Russell Place numbers tally with the current numbers on that particular stretch of the NCR (i.e. the section between Fitzgibbon St. & Belvidere Place).
                              I always yse the OSI streey map (beta) to find street numbers but for tsome reason this area isn't covered.

Comment

Working...
                              X