Donaghmede Kilbarrack Sutton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donaghmede Kilbarrack Sutton

I have lived on the northside for forty years, Lived on the south side for the first eighteen years, Those years are the ones I remember the best. I have often heard people say that southsiders don't settle on the northside, its so not true.

I do love living near the sea and I have made lifelong friends here, but I still consider myself a southsider,

I hope there are other north siders south siders out there who can tell me what crossing over the Liffey meant to them

Hi Joan,I live in Kilbarrack myself,been here 40 years now[cant believe its 40] I am a nthsider through and through,Stonybatter,Finglas and Kilbarrack.Dont think I could settle on the sthside,I get homesick when I cross the Liffey ha ha.Having said that, if I won the Lotto I'd probably buy a house in Dalkey.

Comment

Hi Joan and Paudge ... I used to live in Kilbarrack Lodge , do you know the house ?

Comment

Hi Capt Patch,I think I know where you lived,was the lodge on the Kilbarrack Road? There are appartments there now.

Comment

No Paudge, on the main road just short of Baldoyle corner near where the Kilbarrack sailing club used to be.

Comment

Yes I remember now.I used to go down to the Elphin pub for a pint,was that your local? I had a friend named Jimmy Wall who drank there.

Comment

Originally posted by paudge View Post
              Yes I remember now.I used to go down to the Elphin pub for a pint,was that your local? I had a friend named Jimmy Wall who drank there.
              Hi Paudge Do you remember the Murphy's who own the dinghy sailing shop

Comment

Hi Joan,I'm afraid I dont know the Murphys but the shop yeah.I dont go down that way much now,its years since I had a drink in the Elphin.A taxi man told me the pub was going to be knocked,that was about 18 months ago and its still there I believe.I usually go to the Bayside Inn these days,do you know it?

Comment

Hi Joan,I'm afraid I dont know the Murphys but the shop yeah.I dont go down that way much now,its years since I had a drink in the Elphin.A taxi man told me the pub was going to be knocked,that was about 18 months ago and its still there I believe.I usually go to the Bayside Inn these days,do you know it?
                  Yes Paudge My son used to drink there and I often collected him. His friend has a barber shop there and I often play bridge in the hall beside the church. I live quite close to Donaghmede shopping centre, actually just across the road

Comment

I remember the Elphin well from the time I was very young as I had pass it on my way to the shop beside it. I particularly remember Sundays as there was always kids left in the cars whilst the parent or parents drank in the pub for hours. Not being much of a drinker I seldom used the Elphin but I did have a jar or two when I was back in Dublin last in 2008 and it was much improved on what it used to be in the 50's and 60's.

Do you remember the old quarry that was behind the pub, full of water and a great source of tadpoles. ? I used to terrorize the neighborhood by trying to take Baldoyle corner at 80 MPH (never did in a car but came close). We once lost a boat trailer there coming back from Kilbarrack sailing club ..... fortunately it hit no-one or anything but rather embarrassing just the same. Another memory of there was the county council pay car (used to pay the council workers on a Friday afternoon) with a man in the front passenger seat with a machine gun on his lap, I saw it a couple of times.

I used to know practically everyone that lived in every house there as I went to St.Fintains and used to sell Raffle tickets door to door for the "Little Willie Hospital" in Baldoyle.

I've also swam from the sailing club across to the Bull island and also used to spear flat fish in the creek when the tide was out .... out by the mussel banks. ...... those were the carefree days.
                    Last edited by Capt Patch; 14-06-2011, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Patch View Post
                      I remember the Elphin well from the time I was very young as I had pass it on my way to the shop beside it. I particularly remember Sundays as there was always kids left in the cars whilst the parent or parents drank in the pub for hours. Not being much of a drinker I seldom used the Elphin but I did have a jar or two when I was back in Dublin last in 2008 and it was much improved on what it used to be in the 50's and 60's.

Do you remember the old quarry that was behind the pub, full of water and a great source of tadpoles. ? I used to terrorize the neighborhood by trying to take Baldoyle corner at 80 MPH (never did in a car but came close). We once lost a boat trailer there coming back from Kilbarrack sailing club ..... fortunately it hit no-one or anything but rather embarrassing just the same. Another memory of there was the county council pay car (used to pay the council workers on a Friday afternoon) with a man in the front passenger seat with a machine gun on his lap, I saw it a couple of times.

I used to know practically everyone that lived in every house there as I went to St.Fintains and used to sell Raffle tickets door to door for the "Little Willie Hospital" in Baldoyle.

I've also swam from the sailing club across to the Bull island and also used to spear flat fish in the creek when the tide was out .... out by the mussel banks. ...... those were the carefree days.

Some lovely new parks here now, If I turn the corner and walk for five minutes, I pass baldoyle school and I am then at the coast. Love to walk all the way to Dollmount, we have a lovely walkway and then turn out to Raheny village and walk back up to Donaghmede,

I love the sea although I never learned to swim after a near drowning and believe it or not a near death experience, which propelled me somewhere lovely. But the smell of it the lovely sheen from the water calls out to me,

Comment

Hi again Joan,well its a small world,Donamede shopping centre is where I do my shopping every Friday.Sometimes I have a walk over to the centre and I drop in to the Donamede Inn for a pint.I used to meet an old friend of mine there,his name was Sean,he passed away about 18 months ago from cancer.Everyone seemed to know Sean,he was like the lord mayor.Do you ever drop in there?

Comment

Hi again Joan,well its a small world,Donamede shopping centre is where I do my shopping every Friday.Sometimes I have a walk over to the centre and I drop in to the Donamede Inn for a pint.I used to meet an old friend of mine there,his name was Sean,he passed away about 18 months ago from cancer.Everyone seemed to know Sean,he was like the lord mayor.Do you ever drop in there?
                          Ah paudge, does a bear shit in the woods, Of course I drop in there, although not so often now, I used to go every wednesday with my ladies Club. I most likely knew your friend, I have been living here forty years,

I live on Newbrook Ave just across the road from there, I work upstairs in the office shop on tuesdays for sure and often other days,

Might run into you sometime

Comment

Well how about that? Seans second name was O'Neill and I wouldn't be surprised if you knew him,Sean had a way of making himself known.I have often dropped in to that shop,you might have served me.I'm the guy who looks like George Clooney,ha ha

Comment

Well how about that? Seans second name was O'Neill and I wouldn't be surprised if you knew him,Sean had a way of making himself known.I have often dropped in to that shop,you might have served me.I'm the guy who looks like George Clooney,ha ha
                              Was he a jeweler, I know a Seanie O'Neill who is a jeweler but its quite a common name, This man was small and good fun ring any bells. Gosh If a George Clooney lookalike appeared in the office shop the place would come to a standstill.

Comment

Working...
                              X