Murphys cottages off Dorset street dublin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murphys cottages off Dorset street dublin

Hi There I am trying to trace a picture of murphys cottages off Dorset street dublin, my great grand parents lived at no 7 &11 from 1905 /1930 , it to your left if you where facing blackchurch, on mountjoy street it's been demolished since the early 1970s, there is fencing around it today with noting built on it as of yet.
    Even a picture of an old map will also help
    Regards
    Diarmuid

Originally posted by Diarmuid View Post
    Hi There I am trying to trace a picture of murphys cottages off Dorset street dublin, my great grand parents lived at no 7 &11 from 1905 /1930 , it to your left if you where facing blackchurch, on mountjoy street it's been demolished since the early 1970s, there is fencing around it today with noting built on it as of yet.
    Even a picture of an old map will also help
    Regards
    Diarmuid
    Have a feeling Murphy's Cottages were between Gloucester Street and what was Mecklenburg Street now Townsend Street
    Could be wrong but think it shows up on Dublin 1890's map.
    Here houses and occupants 1901 census. Hope it helps. Will post further info if I come by it.

Here Murphy's Cottages 1911 Census http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...hildrenLiving=
    Attached Files
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Hi There
      Thanks for your help, yes that's the proper murphys cottages off mountjoy street, to the left of blackchurch, paradise place it at the back of it my great grand parents lived
      There for 30yrs ,John gannon lived at no 7 & 11, the electoral register from 1908-15 ,
      -you can view online ,Gloucestershire place is another murphys cottages, they where
      Built by the guy who own the railway and named after him he was called Murphy,
      Diarmuid

Comment

Originally posted by Diarmuid View Post
        Hi There
        Thanks for your help, yes that's the proper murphys cottages off mountjoy street, to the left of blackchurch, paradise place it at the back of it my great grand parents lived
        There for 30yrs ,John gannon lived at no 7 & 11, the electoral register from 1908-15 ,
        -you can view online ,Gloucestershire place is another murphys cottages, they where
        Built by the guy who own the railway and named after him he was called Murphy,
        Diarmuid
        Ahh two lots ! no wonder I went all over the place, anyway glad that's right info and do let us know if you progress your search.

You might like to have a look at KM's genealogy thread here Lots of info on searching, good luck
        I often see individual threads on both the Genealogy forum and in the Neighbourhood Forums by people who have hit a brickwall in their research, requesting information on a particular family. I thought it might be an idea to have a thread devoted to such queries, to be used by anyone who has exhausted all the usual sources

Comment

Somewhere here then....the block to right of church looking up St Mary's ?.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 11-05-2019, 01:56 PM.

Comment

St. Mary's Place closest I can find so far
            Last edited by bigby; 23-09-2021, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
              St. Mary's Place closest I can find so far
              Bigby

That photo is of Saint Marys cottages off Saint Marys place
              Shown in the map DTW posted

It looks like
              Murphys Cottages and Saint Marys Cottages are the same cottages
              -------
              Looking at the 1901 and 1911 censuses it seems to be the same occupiers of the cottages
              -------
              1901.....Murphys Cottages

and
              1911......Saint Marys cottages
              Last edited by john doran; 11-05-2019, 03:26 PM. Reason: Map

Comment

Murphys cottages was behind 116 Dorset Street
                See baptism address

This fits with the map posted by DTW (now) showing Saint Marys Cottages behind 116 Dorset Street
                See
                Street directory showing 116 Dorset street 6 doors from St Marys place
                Attached Files

Comment

Here we are
                  A map showing Murphys Cottages which became Saint Marys Cottages
                  -------
                  You can see the Black church...Saint Marys chapel of rest
                  Paradise Place ...Mountjoy Street ...Wellington Street etc for reference

Worthington cottages became Brennans cottages
                  Attached Files

Comment

Well done JD...nice work...wondered when ye might pop in.
                    Doubt if ever a pic was taken there that survives but ye never know eh ?.

Comment

Just a big thank you to everyone for your kind help , just brilliant,
                      Diarmuid
                      For map & picture
                      Brilliant

Comment

DWT
                        that photo that Bigby posted above is of Saint Marys cottages aka as Murphys Cottages
                        I posted that before and someone regoqnised the people standing at the doorway
                        Last edited by john doran; 11-05-2019, 08:55 PM.

Comment

St. Mary's Chapel of Ease
                          Last edited by bigby; 23-09-2021, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
                            St. Mary's Chapel of Ease
                            Great photos Bigby

Those gates belonged to the Midland Great Western Railway company and led to the Broadstone station via a private road known as the new road...this became the Western Way when the road was taken into public ownership
                            A gatekeeper was employed to open and close the gates and lived in the gatelodge to the right of photo
                            People may remember the gatelodge as Roches upholsterers firm

Comment

Low wall and railings on right of photo still there, and a small house that looks like a gate lodge, was in a terrible state for many years but was sold and looks much better now. I walk that way regularly when the weather is good.

Comment

Working...
                              X