Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dinny View Post
    I would have been maybe 15 or so
    Ah well that accounts for it, at the Sunday dances we were all more or less around the same age, looking forward to 21sts

Comment

• I was looking up something about Rathmines on the net last week....when I came across a headline "Anyone from Leinster Road around"....so I had a look at it...it was put up by a man who was born on Leinster Rd and he wanted to converse with anyone who lived there.....there was an email address.....so I emailed him...gave him so details of where I lived and how long ago since I lived there.....
      He returned my email and was telling me he was born there in 1923 and left to get married in 1949......then moved to Rathfarnham.......He listed of a load of names of people he knew from the road....I only knew one of them....it turned out the house he lived in was the house my best friend at the time lived in ...his family moved in when that man left......but the thing that amazed me was he is aged 96 ...still living life to the full and has a great knowledge of computers and uses it everyday and Skypes his family daily .....i have emailed him a lot since and he's a great character .....and full of life
      The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

I was looking up something about Rathmines on the net last week....when I came across a headline "Anyone from Leinster Road around"....so I had a look at it...it was put up by a man who was born on Leinster Rd and he wanted to converse with anyone who lived there.....there was an email address.....so I emailed him...gave him so details of where I lived and how long ago since I lived there.....
        He returned my email and was telling me he was born there in 1923 and left to get married in 1949......then moved to Rathfarnham.......He listed of a load of names of people he knew from the road....I only knew one of them....it turned out the house he lived in was the house my best friend at the time lived in ...his family moved in when that man left......but the thing that amazed me was he is aged 96 ...still living life to the full and has a great knowledge of computers and uses it everyday and Skypes his family daily .....i have emailed him a lot since and he's a great character .....and full of life
        My granny lived at 113 leinster road, Mary Kenny Ahern
        Last edited by spongebob; 29-07-2019, 11:08 PM.

Comment

I was looking up something about Rathmines on the net last week....when I came across a headline "Anyone from Leinster Road around"....so I had a look at it...it was put up by a man who was born on Leinster Rd and he wanted to converse with anyone who lived there.....there was an email address.....so I emailed him...gave him so details of where I lived and how long ago since I lived there.....

That is a lovely story Dinny. I remember the Pearsons lived in Ormond, also the Garvins, but I have no idea of the numbers

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
            That is a lovely story Dinny. I remember the Pearsons lived in Ormond, also the Garvins, but I have no idea of the numbers
            Ormond Road ....is nearly in Ranelagh Vico..

Comment

Ormond Road ....is nearly in Ranelagh Vico..
              I know Dinny, and the Pearsons considered they lived in Ranelagh, while the other family considered they lived in Rathmines. You make sense out of it.

Comment

Lovely post Dinny...he would be a great asset to the forum I'd say...lots of knowledge about Dublin...

Comment

• Originally posted by barefoot View Post
                  Lovely post Dinny...he would be a great asset to the forum I'd say...lots of knowledge about Dublin...
                  He's to young for here

Comment

• Old Windmill Rathgar Quarry by ????Petrie
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by kellier View Post
                      Old Windmill Rathgar Quarry by ????Petrie
                      Where was the quarry in Rathgar Kell

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                        Where was the quarry in Rathgar Kell
                        I would say probably Orwell Road as that was once known as Windmill Lane

Comment

Thanks, it looks a lot different now

Comment

Kellier

You're right about it being on Orwell Road
                            It was near the part at Zion Road and Highfield road
                            You can see the windmill marked on the map at the Engine house

"George Petrie made a watercolour study of a windmill that stood in Rathgar Quarry, long gone: the windmill pumped water from the quarry and fed it into the Dodder, the quarry is now Herzog Park and Rathgar Tennis Club. "
                            Attached Files

Comment

• I only posted that because while looking through old threads i saw that someone was asking about the windmill

Comment

• Originally posted by john doran View Post
                                Kellier

You're right about it being on Orwell Road
                                It was near the part at Zion Road and Highfield road
                                You can see the windmill marked on the map at the Engine house

"George Petrie made a watercolour study of a windmill that stood in Rathgar Quarry, long gone: the windmill pumped water from the quarry and fed it into the Dodder, the quarry is now Herzog Park and Rathgar Tennis Club. "
                                Thanks for that John, great info.

Comment

Working...
                                X