No announcement yet.

Anybody From Rathmines/Harolds Cross ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im from the top of Mount Drummond, St clare terrace, very handy for for city centre, I used to walk in and out.

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post
      In around the Governor Lane / Leinster Park / St Clare's Ave / Parkview Ave area....somewhere in there......
      Thats all different directions , ha

Comment

Originally posted by spongebob View Post
        Thats all different directions , ha
        Where did you live?
        The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

St Clare tce, number 1. Lived there till 1999 and then bought a house in Rathfarnham

Comment

St Clare tce, number 1. Lived there till 1999 and then bought a house in Rathfarnham
            Knew a few people in the Mount Drummond area....which is beside you

Comment

Not many old neighbours left, only 1 original left on the terrace, My friend is back living on the square, there are a few golden oldies left up there. The grosvenor stores is no more. I was only saying to my daughter when we walked down Leinster rd a few weeks ago , how its changing, My granny lived in 13 Leinster road .

Comment

Not many old neighbours left, only 1 original left on the terrace, My friend is back living on the square, there are a few golden oldies left up there. The grosvenor stores is no more. I was only saying to my daughter when we walked down Leinster rd a few weeks ago , how its changing, My granny lived in 13 Leinster road .
                It's a small world alright ...I also lived on Leinster Road.....I used to walk by your granny's house and down the lane to St Louis when I was a kid

Comment

my dad Charles Morris, lived in 74 Harolds Cross Rd

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post
                    It's a small world alright ...I also lived on Leinster Road.....I used to walk by your granny's house and down the lane to St Louis when I was a kid
                    My grandparents used to own a pub in Salthill, when they sold it and moved to Dublin, My grandmother could not settle, they moved to Effra rd, then when my grandad died she moved to Bayside with my uncle, he passed suddenly aged 57 and she went to live with my aunt first in Landscape then to Wexford, My favourite house was bayside, the train passed the end of her garden and we would go to Howth head every sunday and back down to get the fish in Dorans, somehow related to my mother,

Comment

• Originally posted by archangel View Post
                      my dad Charles Morris, lived in 74 Harolds Cross Rd
                      Beside the hospice, st clares owned two of the houses there and there was a piano teacher lived in one

Comment

• Lived Upper RMines Rd for five years Was resident Disc Jocky in the Ranelagh boxing club / dance hall for three years. Was at a sale of work in the Legion of Mary building Rathmines Rd when news of JFK shooting was announced. .... Used RMines wonderful library.....Went to fairground (Irish Carnival) up bach Town Hall.... Used Banba...book shop Ate great food in the Alce resturant ..Let stink bombs off in the Stella......Never went round the black church three times......Bought n sold in Christy Birds.....Got me bike fixed in old Neds bike repairs Richmond Hill.....Never went into Mt Pleasant or Hollyfield buildings.....Used to see The General around before he became the General.....Used to see Ronnie Drew use the underground jacks n his way home on foot after gigs.....Worked as factory boy in AE Philips stationary file manufacturers off Richmond Hill....Learned te swim under Emmet naller bridge.......Robbed apples no far from Leinster Square....Was regular at HX psrk swings. ...Was a regular at Leinster cinema.....went to mass in All Saints Rathgar (the old servants church built by Prod aristocracy (with few windows te keep cost down) for skivvy catholics sos they dint spend too much time away from dor work traveling to Rathmines / Portobellow church......ad burried both my parents from there to MtJerome.....Used a barber in Swan Lane if memory serves.....Cant remember ever being in the Prinner but sure I must have been. Shot rats with BB gun at Portobello Bridge opposite Charlemont Mall.....Spent time in Herbert Park....Used Caroline Records aka GigsPlace Ate fine steak meals in the Ozark next to Portobello House.....Caught pinkeens in the naller basin beside Ever Ready battery factory.....Made me communion ans confo in St Kevins Harrington Street....ate late night meals in the famous Manhatten Harcourt Road....used Harcourt Rail station for trips to the seaside Blackrock Baths or Bray...broke into it for pig iron after it was closed down:-)....Drenched many a pal with water from the horse trough near the Harcourt St rail bridge and the one round the corner from Kevin St Polis Bks (still there)......Spent manys a day in Bushy Park daytime either catchin pimkeens with neck of milk bottle in a jam jar or climbing the old 'fort' near the Doder weir.....Nightime gettin me.'ware' off local big house country skivvies....in the pitch black! !!! ...Later drank Guinness in The Hideaway (Concorde) (Roddy Bolands)..O'Byrnes. ...Slatterys. ..Searsons. ...Jerry O'Connells and The Bleedin Horse among others.... .Ahhhh sure that'll do for now.......
                        We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                          Lived Upper RMines Rd for five years Was resident Disc Jocky in the Ranelagh boxing club / dance hall for three years. Was at a sale of work in the Legion of Mary building Rathmines Rd when news of JFK shooting was announced. .... Used RMines wonderful library.....Went to fairground (Irish Carnival) up bach Town Hall.... Used Banba...book shop Ate great food in the Alce resturant ..Let stink bombs off in the Stella......Never went round the black church three times......Bought n sold in Christy Birds.....Got me bike fixed in old Neds bike repairs Richmond Hill.....Never went into Mt Pleasant or Hollyfield buildings.....Used to see The General around before he became the General.....Used to see Ronnie Drew use the underground jacks n his way home on foot after gigs.....Worked as factory boy in AE Philips stationary file manufacturers off Richmond Hill....Learned te swim under Emmet naller bridge.......Robbed apples no far from Leinster Square....Was regular at HX psrk swings. ...Was a regular at Leinster cinema.....went to mass in All Saints Rathgar (the old servants church built by Prod aristocracy (with few windows te keep cost down) for skivvy catholics sos they dint spend too much time away from dor work traveling to Rathmines / Portobellow church......ad burried both my parents from there to MtJerome.....Used a barber in Swan Lane if memory serves.....Cant remember ever being in the Prinner but sure I must have been. Shot rats with BB gun at Portobello Bridge opposite Charlemont Mall.....Spent time in Herbert Park....Used Caroline Records aka GigsPlace Ate fine steak meals in the Ozark next to Portobello House.....Caught pinkeens in the naller basin beside Ever Ready battery factory.....Made me communion ans confo in St Kevins Harrington Street....ate late night meals in the famous Manhatten Harcourt Road....used Harcourt Rail station for trips to the seaside Blackrock Baths or Bray...broke into it for pig iron after it was closed down:-)....Drenched many a pal with water from the horse trough near the Harcourt St rail bridge and the one round the corner from Kevin St Polis Bks (still there)......Spent manys a day in Bushy Park daytime either catchin pimkeens with neck of milk bottle in a jam jar or climbing the old 'fort' near the Doder weir.....Nightime gettin me.'ware' off local big house country skivvies....in the pitch black! !!! ...Later drank Guinness in The Hideaway (Concorde) (Roddy Bolands)..O'Byrnes. ...Slatterys. ..Searsons. ...Jerry O'Connells and The Bleedin Horse among others.... .Ahhhh sure that'll do for now.......
                          Brought back so many memories,

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                            Lived Upper RMines Rd for five years Was resident Disc Jocky in the Ranelagh boxing club / dance hall for three years. Was at a sale of work in the Legion of Mary building Rathmines Rd when news of JFK shooting was announced. .... Used RMines wonderful library.....Went to fairground (Irish Carnival) up bach Town Hall.... Used Banba...book shop Ate great food in the Alce resturant ..Let stink bombs off in the Stella......Never went round the black church three times......Bought n sold in Christy Birds.....Got me bike fixed in old Neds bike repairs Richmond Hill.....Never went into Mt Pleasant or Hollyfield buildings.....Used to see The General around before he became the General.....Used to see Ronnie Drew use the underground jacks n his way home on foot after gigs.....Worked as factory boy in AE Philips stationary file manufacturers off Richmond Hill....Learned te swim under Emmet naller bridge.......Robbed apples no far from Leinster Square....Was regular at HX psrk swings. ...Was a regular at Leinster cinema.....went to mass in All Saints Rathgar (the old servants church built by Prod aristocracy (with few windows te keep cost down) for skivvy catholics sos they dint spend too much time away from dor work traveling to Rathmines / Portobellow church......ad burried both my parents from there to MtJerome.....Used a barber in Swan Lane if memory serves.....Cant remember ever being in the Prinner but sure I must have been. Shot rats with BB gun at Portobello Bridge opposite Charlemont Mall.....Spent time in Herbert Park....Used Caroline Records aka GigsPlace Ate fine steak meals in the Ozark next to Portobello House.....Caught pinkeens in the naller basin beside Ever Ready battery factory.....Made me communion ans confo in St Kevins Harrington Street....ate late night meals in the famous Manhatten Harcourt Road....used Harcourt Rail station for trips to the seaside Blackrock Baths or Bray...broke into it for pig iron after it was closed down:-)....Drenched many a pal with water from the horse trough near the Harcourt St rail bridge and the one round the corner from Kevin St Polis Bks (still there)......Spent manys a day in Bushy Park daytime either catchin pimkeens with neck of milk bottle in a jam jar or climbing the old 'fort' near the Doder weir.....Nightime gettin me.'ware' off local big house country skivvies....in the pitch black! !!! ...Later drank Guinness in The Hideaway (Concorde) (Roddy Bolands)..O'Byrnes. ...Slatterys. ..Searsons. ...Jerry O'Connells and The Bleedin Horse among others.... .Ahhhh sure that'll do for now.......

Did almost everything you mentioned here DTW....The barbers is Doran's Castlewood Ave....across from the Swan Centre...it's still open and does great business....I usually went there or Salmon's on Harolds Cross Bridge...or if I was short of money I would go to the butcher "Paddy Fay"...Danced to the disco in Ranelagh boxing club.....was in the boxing club joined with Patsy Reilly you may remember him from the area.....

Comment

• Originally posted by spongebob View Post
                              Brought back so many memories,
                              When we look back over fifty years eh ??? They could be tough oul days... but when all's said an done they were the good oul days whichever way ye look at it.
                              We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Stanleys and Lees in Rathmines too

Comment

Working...
                                X