No announcement yet.

1st posting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spend a lot of time on Sandymount Strand with me aul dog and came across this photo of a 'Pier' that ran out as far as the baths. It must have been very impressive in its day but fell into disrepair and was eventually demolished in the 1920's.

Comment

Originally posted by Magic View Post
      I spend a lot of time on Sandymount Strand with me aul dog and came across this photo of a 'Pier' that ran out as far as the baths. It must have been very impressive in its day but fell into disrepair and was eventually demolished in the 1920's.

Seems to be a building on the middle of the bridge Magic , hardly built just to collect the entrance fee into the baths ?

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
        Seems to be a building on the middle of the bridge Magic , hardly built just to collect the entrance fee into the baths ?
        Merrion Promenade and Swimming Baths....It was a concert area Bo, a bandstand, band concerts were held twice a week after it opened in 1883...fell into disrepair by the 20's and was demolished.
        Attached Files
        We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Ah , a shame , it looked like it could have been a nice feature but it wasnt that well constructed .

Comment

Thanks Bojangles and Damn the Weather, great photos.
            I was just reading that the Pier was run by a group called the Merrion Pier and Bath Company, and was 90 yards long. It had a short lifespan as such just under 30 years but in each of the years, according to their AGM’s returned a profit even during the years when the weather had been atrocious.
            The baths were filled twice daily by means of gas driven pumps and in the evenings the Pier hosted firework displays as well providing entertainment with bands or wandering minstrels, the last to play there were the Seaside Serenades, a troupe of four men and two women. The Pier also advertised a fully licensed refreshment room, I wonder is that the room you pointed out in the photo Bojangles?, as well as stalls selling various foodstuffs including cockles and muscles.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
              Ah , a shame , it looked like it could have been a nice feature but it wasnt that well constructed .
              Probably built mainly for the baths unlike the Brit piers built as entertainment centers, Blackpool, Brighton etc.
              Attached Files
              We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by Magic View Post
                Thanks Bojangles and Damn the Weather, great photos.
                I was just reading that the Pier was run by a group called the Merrion Pier and Bath Company, and was 90 yards long. It had a short lifespan as such just under 30 years but in each of the years, according to their AGM’s returned a profit even during the years when the weather had been atrocious.
                The baths were filled twice daily by means of gas driven pumps and in the evenings the Pier hosted firework displays as well providing entertainment with bands or wandering minstrels, the last to play there were the Seaside Serenades, a troupe of four men and two women. The Pier also advertised a fully licensed refreshment room, I wonder is that the room you pointed out in the photo Bojangles?, as well as stalls selling various foodstuffs including cockles and muscles.
                Yes Magic , thats the one , nowadays that whole section of our coastline seems to be underdeveloped . the Council or whoever dont want anything there , those Victorian constructions would be masterpieces now , maybe DTW and others should start a thread dedicated to seaside type buildings around , Dublin , The Martellos , bridges ,railway stations etc

Comment

Old Sandymount Strand

My childhood days were spent on the strand,we had largest play ground other than the park...as I only lived about 500 feet from the sea wall we never put on shoes until Sunday and then only for the Church Times....every game was played and swiming was part of the day...we set fishing lines out as far as the tide went out and turned to come back in...and at times had to be up out of bed very early so as to catch the tide on the turn and pick the fish of the lines which were over 200 hooks...we always done very well but my mother always told us to give all the doors a knock and give the fish away..but people also gave us the odd tanner so we were happy.
                  That old baths was part of our play ground and we always said it was our ship when the tide was in....in did win the prize as the shortest pier in Ireland or England in 1902
                  Ahaaaa happy days:

Comment

Nice post S

Comment

what a great picture of your childhood star boy....thanks for sharing

Comment

The Strand

Just come back from our walk along the Prom....that would be the nice clean bit of tar macadam which the DCC put down for us good folk to enjoy our walk on..Has anyone in the DCC ever had a look at work done in their name if so do would the ever just grab a level you know the thing with the bubble in it and pop it on the said walk it has to be the worst bit of promenade ...they put in some beautiful lights nice bit of grass trees but all is let down by a crap job on the tar macadam..come on lads lots of old folk like my wife and myself try to walk on this and don't need a trip to the A@E ..ok ok that's my rant for the day
                        Does anyone on the forum walk this walk....
                        Sandymount it self has not changed a lot TG, the shops have got new owners also the pubs but the village is still a village and people still stop for a chat in the green.
                        As a kid the green was not very well looked after...but the water fountain was working...on many a day men would play pitch and toss to try and win the price of a pint...times were hard for everyone and when people said they had no money...THEY had no money and the shop pawn shop was the bank ......
                        Ahaaa the good old days !!!!!!!!

Comment

Agreed S.....the condition of some paths in my area is just dangerous because of the problems outlined

Comment

Sandymount folk

Hi everyone looking for somebody people from Sandymount...First person is Jim Byrne from Lea Road. part of our gang in the 50s along with Gerry Scally now lives in USA. The late Tony Keagan Strand Road...and many more ..any info do drop in SB

Comment

Hiya SB, I had a good friend who lived in Sandymount in the 50s and 60s.His name is Phil Walsh, he would be in his 70s now. He was away at sea for some of the 50s.I think his family were in the plumbing business. He lived in Havelock Square for a while, cant remember his other address in Sandymount. We lost touch in the 60s I'm sorry to say,you may have come across him?

Comment

Hi Paudge, don't know the man but I will ask my brother in law and his brother if they have any ideas on the name and will check back with you ok SB

Comment

Working...
                                X