No announcement yet.

John's Lane East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John again a really great aerial photo of the area around John's Lane East. A real Hell of a place to live. The outline of the Racket's Court can be clearly seen. I can nearly see where I lived. If the photo was clearer I could pick out things. Is there any place I could look for the original photo that appeared in the newspaper?
    Talking about Medieval I remember around 1957 when the cobble "stones" in Fishamble Stret were replaced, we collected the old ones and they were burnt in the fire ín John's Lane East. The "stones" were wooden! I often wondered how old the original stones were.

Comment

Originally posted by Joxer View Post
      John again a really great aerial photo of the area around John's Lane East. A real Hell of a place to live. The outline of the Racket's Court can be clearly seen. I can nearly see where I lived. If the photo was clearer I could pick out things. Is there any place I could look for the original photo that appeared in the newspaper?
      Talking about Medieval I remember around 1957 when the cobble "stones" in Fishamble Stret were replaced, we collected the old ones and they were burnt in the fire ín John's Lane East. The "stones" were wooden! I often wondered how old the original stones were.
      Joxer
      No more info on where the photo came from
      Here is a section of it which I enhanced
      Attached Files

Comment

Here's another looking down onto the lane
        You can make out the whitish gable wall of one of the houses just to the left of the Cathedral....near centre of photo
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks John for another fantastic photograph. Great to see the old power house opposite the Castle Inn pub in Christchurch Place. I now have an original photo that was in the book about the Hell area that was at the back of the Cathedral.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Joxer; 23-01-2021, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Good on the original photo.....did it give you any more detail on it

Here is a link to photos of Dublin ...it shows a few around Christhchurch area including one of the old power house
            Paul Walsh Photography. Dublin 50 years apart, Cushman images reproduction

Comment

Very nice to see the power house again in your link John. In the photo of Christchurch Cathedral I don't remember the propped-up houses in Winetavern Street near the end of John's Lane East. In my time around 1954 they were demolished. I believe the photo is from the 1940's. Copper Alley can be seen left of the MRCB. The old graveyard of St. John's Church to the left of the Solwaye Freres building was my playing ground. Our 2 room flats were built next to the Solwaye Freres building in John's Lane East.
              Last edited by Joxer; 24-01-2021, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Joxer
                You may have seen this one ...but just in case you didn,t
                Attached Files
                Last edited by john doran; 24-01-2021, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by john doran View Post
                  Joxer
                  And this one
                  I,m thinking you would not like to have a hangover on a Sunday morning
                  bong bong bong etc
                  Just as well it was not a catholic cathedral or it would have been every six hours with the Angelus
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by john doran View Post
                    Joxer
                    I recognise the MRCB my dad bought paint there years ago to paint the house

Comment

Originally posted by Joxer View Post
                      Does anybody remember this lane which had Royals shop, Talcum Powder Factory of Mr. Levin in it. M.R.C.B., St. John's Primary School and Dublin Corpoartion Public Electrical Department in Fishamble Street.
                      I am sure I remember Mrs Royle, she would stand at the half door and chat to people..

I did some casual work with her son in Dockrells in chancery lane. He still sold brawn to the lads there.
                      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                        I am sure I remember Mrs Royle, she would stand at the half door and chat to people..

I did some casual work with her son in Dockrells in chancery lane. He still sold brawn to the lads there.
                        The Nellie you refer to in Piles Buildings I think was called Nellie Condron.I remember when she was found dead in her flat..

The back of your yard would have been connected to Spain's back yard in number 4 Wood Street?...They moved in to your flat as an extra flat for their big family.
                        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X