No announcement yet.

camden street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for dat camden, i was just going by the caption on pic.
    in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Originally posted by camden View Post
      I lived directly opposite Earleys in Old Camden Street and I was also an Alter

Boy in the convent.That collection box you talk about was fixed to the railings

two houses further down the street going down into a box at the bottom of a

place we called " The Area " The Nuns collected the money from that box there.

The Nuns were very decent to the Alter Boys.We got 2/6 and a prayer book

at Christmas and at Easter 2/6 and an Easter Egg.That was quite a lot back

in The Fifties.2/6= Half a Crown (remember) We always waited for that big coin

and would have been disappointed if it was'nt given.Very Innocent Times Eh !
      I was an Altar Boy in the convent in Camden Street also, it would have been 1961 or 62. I'm ashamed to say that the half dollar ( 2/6 ) we got is what I remember most from that time. Like you say, it was a lot of money back then..There was a very nice little nun who looked after us and she would let us out the back way after mass into Grantham Place and through a lovely little garden they had at the back of the convent. I do remember that it was always 7 o'clock mass we had to serve which unfortunately gave you plenty of time to get to school afterwards.

Comment

This lady had a stall in that spot facing the de-lux
        Attached Files
        The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

I think she was outside Connolly's Shoe Shop. I believe her daughter in

the photo eventually did have a stall opposite The De- Luxe Cinema but

I could be wrong.I'm going from memory but you know how fuzzy that can be.

It was such a busy street on Saturdays in particular.Nice photo too.

Comment

She was outside Connellys.....just said de-lux as a marker

Comment

Dealers in Camden St., probably from 1972.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Auld Decency; 12-09-2012, 05:26 PM. Reason: Added date
              Do what you love - love what you do.

Comment

Would it be around 1962 ? Do you have any photos of the opposite side of the street showing Lynch's Tailors,Rudge's Pork Butchers,Star Furniture Company ?

Rudge's Pork Butchers,at least that's what I think they were called.I seem to remember they were a German family.That's a great photo of Camden Street !

Do you have you any old photos of Old Camden Street in particular what was called The Power House.That was the building opposite Earley's on one side of the

street and Carbury's shoe repairs on the other side.Before Tommy Carbury moved into that shop it was run by a man with the unusual name of Mr.Lemathy.
                Last edited by camden; 07-05-2012, 06:28 PM.

Comment

I don't think I have any more old photos of Old Camden St, aside what's already on this site, including one I took about 1972. I've enlarged a portion of a 1950s photo that has appeared earlier.
                  Attached Files

Comment

This shows the other side of the street, from 1964, I think.

Anyone know the fish-woman? My mother was in Grantham St school with some of the dealers.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• I think this is from 1964 also.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks for those great photos.Maybe Rudge's Pork Butchers closed down during the late 50's as they are not in that photo.I'd just love to see that shop again.

There was a certain unigue smell I can remember and I've never forgotton.There was also a hardware store in Charlotte Street between what was then

Spears Bakery and Cottor's Pub that I remember well. Again this shop had it's unique smell.This was from a paraffin heater.You got this smell as you came

in the door.They sold Hardware,Fancy Goods and Cheap Toys.The owner always wore a brown shop coat and his wife wore a blue one.They were nice people.

It always seemed to so dark in that shop but they were always very friendly I'm alway amazed just how quickly smells and sounds trigger the memory
                        Last edited by camden; 08-05-2012, 01:55 AM.

Comment

• Tommy Lynch's shop at the corner of Kingsland Park Avenue/S. C. Rd. always smelt of biscuits from the tins he had dotted around the front of the shop (around 1960). Kennedy and Nolan's at the other end of Kingsland Park Avenue smelt of ham - they had one of those old hand-operated slicing machines on the counter. There was a cobbler's, Maxwell, on Lower Clanbrassil St. just before Leonard's Corner that reeked of leather.

Comment

• I remember the woman slicing the ham her name was Nora

Comment

• I think the hardware shop in Charlotte Street was called Ludlows, I remember my mother buying a paraffin heater there, late 50' maybe. Rudges shop had stags and pigs heads mounted on wooden plaques on the walls. I remember that Anton O'Toole, the Dublin football player, had a summer job there when he was a kid as the messenger boy, he had the proper bike with Rudges enamel sign on. I always called him Mr. Rudge ever after, he took the joke well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aulddub View Post
                                I think the hardware shop in Charlotte Street was called Ludlows, I remember my mother buying a paraffin heater there, late 50' maybe. Rudges shop had stags and pigs heads mounted on wooden plaques on the walls. I remember that Anton O'Toole, the Dublin football player, had a summer job there when he was a kid as the messenger boy, he had the proper bike with Rudges enamel sign on. I always called him Mr. Rudge ever after, he took the joke well.
                                Ludlows were at the other end of the street beside The Lido Cafe.They sold fishing tackle and bicycles.Mr Ludlow was a bald man and I really don't know

anything about him.The shop I'm talking about was run by a Jewish man who wore glasses and he had a most strange bouncy walk.I spoke to the curator

Raphael Siev of the Jewish Museum on Walworth Road about him and he told me the man's name but you know how it is I did'nt write it down and I've forgotton

it now.You are correct about Rudge's,I'd forgotton those plagues on the wall.They had a Vintage car and they would drive out every Sunday in this beautiful

machine.I think they were brother and sister.The Jewish Museum on Walworth Road is a place very well worth a visit if you have a couple of hours to spare.
                                Last edited by camden; 08-05-2012, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X