camden street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dinny View Post
    Did you go to the Leinster cricket club ......
    No, sorry Dinny, not me. I know where it was but was never in there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aulddub View Post
      You were very adventurous. We drifted down towards the Stags Head and what was Leonard's in Dame street beside the Olympia. I remember also the Bunch of Grapes in Clanbrassil Street which was very rough and ready but had a great pint.
      The Bunch of Grapes, the Napper Tandy and McDaids in Harry St. must have been the smelliest pubs in Dublin, all for different reasons. There were two pubs close to each other past the Bunch of Grapes on the way into town where dominos were played - these were the only pubs where I saw dominos being played in Dublin. There was another pub around there with darts and Joe McDonald's in Patrick St. had good sing-alongs, though it could be a bit rough betimes.
      Do what you love - love what you do.

Comment

• From "The Cock and Anchor", by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu, 1845

At the time in which the events that we have undertaken to record took place, there stood at the southern extremity of the city, near the point at which Camden Street now terminates, a small, old-fashioned building, something between an ale-house and an inn. It occupied the roadside by no means unpicturesquely; one gable jutted into the road, with a projecting window, which stood out from the building like a glass box held together by a massive frame of wood; and commanded by this projecting gable, and a few yards in retreat, but facing the road, was the inn door, over which hung a painted panel, representing a white horse, out of whose neck there spouted a crimson cascade, and underneath, in large letters, the traveller was informed that this was the genuine old ‘Bleeding Horse.’

Old enough, in all conscience, it appeared to be, for the tiled roof, except where the ivy clustered over it, was crowded with weeds of many kinds, and the boughs of the huge trees which embowered it had cracked and shattered one of the cumbrous chimney-stacks, and in many places it was evident that but for the timely interposition of the saw and the axe, the giant limbs of the old timber would, in the gradual increase of years, have forced their way through the roof and the masonry itself—a tendency sufficiently indicated by sundry indentures and rude repairs in those parts of the building most exposed to such casualties.

Comment

• Old Camden St may have looked like this.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Auld Decency View Post
            The Bunch of Grapes, the Napper Tandy and McDaids in Harry St. must have been the smelliest pubs in Dublin, all for different reasons. There were two pubs close to each other past the Bunch of Grapes on the way into town where dominos were played - these were the only pubs where I saw dominos being played in Dublin. There was another pub around there with darts and Joe McDonald's in Patrick St. had good sing-alongs, though it could be a bit rough betimes.
            I cant remember the Bunch of Grapes itself being particularly smelly, the whole area could smell something awful when O'Keeffe the Knackers were slaughtering horses. I don't know why it was tolerated at the time, people today wouldn't wear it and rightly so. I can't recall another pub on that side of the street, most of it was waste ground with the odd building here and there. There were 4 pubs,"The Four Corners of Hell", at the junction of New Street and Dean Street/Kevin Street further down which you might be thinking of, I think they are all gone now.I have a vague memory of seeing dominoes being played in a pub but cant recall exactly where. I would have only been in McDaid's once or twice, was it the toilets that smelled? that wasn't unusual in those days.

Comment

• Re McDaids, yes it was the toilets, which were downstairs, but, uniquely to McDaids, the stairwell was open, so every time the jax door was opened the smell rose upwards into the pub. I won't go into why the others were smelly - might get into trouble with somebody!

I used sell papers and drop off leaflets in all the pubs between the grand canal and Christchurch, so that's how I became so familiar with them - I wasn't drinking in them at the time!

Comment

• Heading over to Camden St tonight for a few small sherries with a few friends
                The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

• Gorevans

The family always went there for clothes.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks you so much for that wonderful photo of Gorevans.Like you we got a lot of our clothes from that shop.My school uniform was always bought there.

I'll always remember that system for sending cash to the office from the counter.I must check out what it was called but it always fascinated me.

Directly opposite was Walton's Musical Gallery. I'd love to see a photo that shop.Don't suppose you could oblige with that ? Thanks again for the great photo.

Comment

• That's the cash transport system, or cash carriers as they were called. My best memory is of the one in Clery's.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• In 1902 a drama group run by William and Frank Fay acquired rooms at 34 Lower Camden St., which they turned into a small theatre, which became the Camden Street Theatre. The Irish National Theatre Society, which became the Abbey Theatre, had its registered offices in 34 Camden St., in 1903. One of the most active members of the group was Máire Nic Shiubhlaigh (pictured below), who was born in Charlemont St. The group moved into the Abbey when it was constructed and on the opening night of 27 December 1904 she played the name part in Cathleen Ni Houlihan.

Fianna Éireann was founded at 34 Lower Camden St. on 16 August 1909. This would be around where Age Action Ireland is now.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Auld Decency; 04-06-2012, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aulddub View Post
                          I cant remember the Bunch of Grapes itself being particularly smelly, the whole area could smell something awful when O'Keeffe the Knackers were slaughtering horses. I don't know why it was tolerated at the time, people today wouldn't wear it and rightly so. I can't recall another pub on that side of the street, most of it was waste ground with the odd building here and there. There were 4 pubs,"The Four Corners of Hell", at the junction of New Street and Dean Street/Kevin Street further down which you might be thinking of, I think they are all gone now.I have a vague memory of seeing dominoes being played in a pub but cant recall exactly where. I would have only been in McDaid's once or twice, was it the toilets that smelled? that wasn't unusual in those days.
                          one of the pubs on four corners was i think quinns, there used to be a card school at the bar [don] two would be sitting at the bar and two on the other side, the jacks in there was probably the worst in dublin, the only provision for ladies was a couple of jacobs biscuit tins out in the tiny yard.

i remember one night havin a slash outside , two american sailors threw up at the stench [this was the ladies tins, true]
                          in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• 34 Lower Camden Street

This building has been demolished in the last few weeks, another piece of Dublin history gone to the developers vault !!!!!
                            Last edited by Twofingers; 05-06-2012, 01:34 PM. Reason: forgot the address

Comment

• When I was a young boy I remember President De Valera unveiling a Plaque there to commemorate Na Fianna.That building was a Post Office during the time

I lived in the area.I think it was between The Monumont Creamery and a small Ladies Shop the name of which escapes me right now.It was'nt Gleesons which

now houses Age Action.I believe the old building was in a dangerous state,about to fall down.I remember the Plaque on the wall,I'm hope it's been stored safely.
                              Last edited by camden; 06-06-2012, 01:10 AM.

Comment

• Yes, it was the post office. Here's an old photo that shows it on the right.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X