No announcement yet.

Richmond Street Sth. - old and new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was talking about the bottom end of the street before Bambricks Pub.From there I remember Dowlings,The Hardware Store,The Star Market.

Across Gordon Lane Caden's new shop,Egan's Butchers,The Ozark Inn, Pork Butchers,Gibson's Pawn,O'Hara's Ladies Shop,Another Butchers Shop.

After Richmond Place was Murphys,Jerry O'Connell's Pub,Rowan's Furniture,Paddy Fay Barbers ( Another Butcher ),Christy Bird's,Searson's Pub.

I'll leave the other side of the street to another time or perhaps you'll fill it in.Almost forgot before Bambrick's was Hackett's Bicycle Shop and then Morton's.

Between Morton's and Bambrick's was a door leading to The Snooker Hall.The owner was called The Boss.Anthony Ward from Richmond Place worked for him..
    Last edited by camden; 02-06-2012, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• Between the Pawn brokers & O'Hara's ...was Fitzpatricks fruit & veg and grocery
      The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

• I may have posted these already on .ie
        Jerry O'Connell's, about 1976. From left: Jean, Deirdre, Kevin, Micky, Alan, Beth, Dave, Gerry.
        Attached Files
        Do what you love - love what you do.

Comment

• Brown Eyed Girl: Beth, Gerry, Mark
          Attached Files

Comment

• Gerry Phelan RIP. A good friend, he first started off in Jerry O'Connell's.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Teddy Delamere, Davey Spillane and myself, just after I had hitch-hiked back from India. O'Donoghue's, January 1976. The hat is from Iran, the bracelet from Amritsar.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Sea cadets marching into Richmond St, 1905
                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by camden View Post
                  Yes I knew of them OK.I think they lived in Mount Pleasent Avenue.I knew

a couple of them for a short while when I played Snooker in Morton's.

The names were James,Charlie,Tommy.I think they were all blonde.Did they

have one sister.I'm sure there were about 10 in that family ? Believe it or

not even though I lived in the area I've never been in Jerry O'Connell's or

Searson's.The only Pub I've been to in Portobello was The Lower Deck.

That would have been on Sundays to see and hear The Fleadh Cowboys.
                  Did you know any of the crowd from Charlemont mall....the Jordan's...Carrols.....Mooney's.....or Owen McGlynn from Richmond Street he lived next door to Jerry O's ?. Here's a young pic of an ould Dubliner in Richmond Street.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 23-11-2012, 08:40 PM.
                  We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• When I was 17 ...myself and Owen McGlynn ..went to the Kilkenny Beer Festival ....we slept in a field outside the town for a couple of nights

Comment

• Originally posted by dinny View Post
                      When I was 17 ...myself and Owen McGlynn ..went to the Kilkenny Beer Festival ....we slept in a field outside the town for a couple of nights
                      That'd be Owenie OK....he's still about....just retired and looking as young as ever....I'm still in touch.....I'm sure I must have met you sometime somewhere in those parts....You remember Sykie Riley....Pat Morrissey.....Paddy Laycock.....the Carrols moved from the Mall to Windsor Terrace.....and the Hawkins family were from around that way.
                      We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                        That'd be Owenie OK....he's still about....just retired and looking as young as ever....I'm still in touch.....I'm sure I must have met you sometime somewhere in those parts....You remember Sykie Riley....Pat Morrissey.....Paddy Laycock.....the Carrols moved from the Mall to Windsor Terrace.....and the Hawkins family were from around that way.
                        I remember Sykie Riley from the snooker hall.....he was a very good player......I remember the Carrolls on Windsor Tce......but only the girls...Breda used to hang out in our circle of friends

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                          Did you know any of the crowd from Charlemont mall....the Jordan's...Carrols.....Mooney's.....or Owen McGlynn from Richmond Street he lived next door to Jerry O's ?. Here's a young pic of an ould Dubliner in Richmond Street.

kath said......he should of fecking stayed there.....
                          Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• Still going strong...
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Auld Decency View Post
                              I think there was a Newman family ran a shop in Lennox St. Anyway, I think the larger one closed down and another smaller one opened a bit closer to Synge St. Kennedy & Nolan's was on the corner of Kingsland Park Avenue and Florence St. My great-uncle Peter had a shop in Kingsland Park Avenue for a few years. There was a strange Jewish shop in Walworth Road that sold comics - never saw anyone going in there besides myself (I was addicted to comics!). What was the name of the shop at the corner of Walworth Road and Kingsland Parade? Something like Bambrick's?
                              Bradbury's. I think Mrs.Bradbury was a widow, I went to Marymount with her son, he seemed to have unlimited access to sweets, I remember his teeth but not his first name! Also there was a butchers on the corner of Lennox st and Kingsland park Ave, a big man with most of his fingers missing; and the 'skinman', I think his name was Johnny, he did ballroom dancing and kept pigs behind Wexford st, near the park where little Tommy whatsit's body was found.

Comment

• That was the graveyard in Camden Row.The dead boy was called Tommy Powell.

They never found the person for that murder.Back then it was the topic of

conversation for years.Now it would be forgotton in a couple of weeks

Comment

Working...
                                X