Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dinny View Post
    The Peggy Dell was rotten to say the least
    Jaze it was fierce esp mixed with the guinns mash mix.
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Quite a few people kept a pig or two in those days. But pigs are clean by nature and the smell was due to the fact that they were not fed the correct food and the pens were not cleaned out. They were left there in their own excrement.

It is interesting how town and country came together a lot then. No sign of that now.

Comment

• guinness and the rotten smell of brewing and the hops .....now that was rotten

Comment

• Originally posted by avcah View Post
          guinness and the rotten smell of brewing and the hops .....now that was rotten
          I remember that one too. Sometimes my mother and I would go shopping in Thomas Street. We went down the back of the pipes(for anybody old enough to remember it) and eventually into I think Forbes Street, and finally Crane Lane. I can remember that overpowering smell and the little Guinness trains crossing the tracks from one building to another

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
            I'll never forget when the wind blew in the wrong direction the mixed smell of Guinness's and Keefe the Knackers as they were boiling up at the same time....an overwhelming repulsive pungent smell that'd clear even the the most robust of Bowman glands
            Try again

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
              I remember that one too. Sometimes my mother and I would go shopping in Thomas Street. We went down the back of the pipes(for anybody old enough to remember it) and eventually into I think Forbes Street, and finally Crane Lane. I can remember that overpowering smell and the little Guinness trains crossing the tracks from one building to another
              Like this one. And a safety number walked in front waving a flag ?.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 07-11-2019, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Flag man. Think was a red flag.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Wonder how many miss all the horse nd cow shyte splattered all over the streets.
                  And smell of city farmyards ....one family in Cork Street let out part of a pig yard to an ice cream maker ffs...Such was the Liberties.

Comment

That's it DT thanks for posting it

Comment

That's it DT thanks for posting it
                      welcome V2

Comment

Wonder how many miss all the horse nd cow shyte splattered all over the streets.
                        And smell of city farmyards ....one family in Cork Street let out part of a pig yard to an ice cream maker ffs...Such was the Liberties.
                        And streets littered with "nanny goats currants" left by sheep on their way to market.....

Comment

And streets littered with "nanny goats currants" left by sheep on their way to market.....
                          As a chiseler...couldnt work out how sheep produced goat shyte :-)

Comment

As a chiseler...couldnt work out how sheep produced goat shyte :-)
                            Or even if they were nannies or billies

Comment

Or even if they were nannies or billies
                              I tried te eat dem "currants" but the first one wasnt very sweet

Comment

I tried te eat dem "currants" but the first one wasnt very sweet
                                My mother never used currants for baking, she claimed they were dirty fruit, so she only used raisins and sultanas. Maybe she knew something you didn't DT

Comment

Working...
                                X