Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• woolies henry st, I worked there as a 13 a thirteen yr old in the cafeteria, best fed days of my life up till then, and a window seat looking down on henry reserved for staff.

is that joes apartment on the left ??

nth great Denmark st.

kids playing football ..looks like Thomas st area
    Attached Files
    in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• new houses for tallaght, 60s.

the long walk back , two kids at sandymount beach.

pub in dame st where the invincibles plotted.
      Attached Files
      in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• Originally posted by cosmo View Post
        woolies henry st, I worked there as a 13 a thirteen yr old in the cafeteria, best fed days of my life up till then, and a window seat looking down on henry reserved for staff.

is that joes apartment on the left ??

nth great Denmark st.

kids playing football ..looks like Thomas st area

Lol.....No cos...next one up to the left......

The Bollard is where the wall was at the corner of Olivers lane..I remember when it was being demolished the lads had a big brazier there for making their tea......That was our short-cut when we lived in Wood street...Where the Bowater lorry is is where they stored the Elm planks for making coffins and such like...Next door but one to that was Birds custard and Jelly factory.....
        some familiar faces in that photo.......The lad standing by the cars lived in Whitefriar Gardens.......Used to get some days casual work off one of the lads by the big Dockrells gate......
        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
          Lol.....No cos...next one up to the left......

The Bollard is where the wall was at the corner of Olivers lane..I remember when it was being demolished the lads had a big brazier there for making their tea......That was our short-cut when we lived in Wood street...Where the Bowater lorry is is where they stored the Elm planks for making coffins and such like...Next door but one to that was Birds custard and Jelly factory.....
          some familiar faces in that photo.......The lad standing by the cars lived in Whitefriar Gardens.......Used to get some days casual work off one of the lads by the big Dockrells gate......
          Notice the ''Sprinkler system bell'' above the sign outside Dockrells.......I have fired a 38 pistol at that bell from a verandah out of sight to the left.......Missed......

Just next to the buttresses we found lots of 303 ammunition in the ground there.......they were filled with cordite.......

Comment

• Golden Lane - Olivers Alley

Same area before the flats. Looks about 1940 ish!
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by bridge View Post
              bottom picture I believe is the Automac in the 'alley''.....They are walking along the ''new road'' and to their left became the entrance to Mc Donagh house.......I remember the Big hill of rubble at the Wood street corner of the Alley which I climber over every day on the way to school....

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
                bottom picture I believe is the Automac in the 'alley''.....They are walking along the ''new road'' and to their left became the entrance to Mc Donagh house.......I remember the Big hill of rubble at the Wood street corner of the Alley which I climber over every day on the way to school....
                Can't be 1940 as I remember walking up golden Lane with my Man and going through the Alley to get home to Wood street..if the New Road had been there we would have taken that short cut as the Bulldozers and workmen were in the Alley demolishing where Mc Donagh House was built.....

Comment

• Originally posted by bridge View Post
                  Great picture of the lone man walking past ''Biddy Slicker's'' house......
                  #
                  ''Fur coat and no knickers'' as they used to say in those days.......

Comment

• school yard sand pit.jpg

The caption on this photo says schoolyard playground , but it looks like the public playground I used to play in in Nth Great Georges Street . Can anyone identify ? ( edit I should say Hill Street )
                    Last edited by bojangles; 10-09-2017, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• Hardwicke Street.jpg

Hardwicke Street looking towards St Georges Church .

Comment

• It looks like Hill Street playground, off Parnell Street. It was formerly the site of Georges Church. The remnants of the Church Tower and some gravestones are still there.

Comment

• Originally posted by pegasus View Post
                          It looks like Hill Street playground, off Parnell Street. It was formerly the site of Georges Church. The remnants of the Church Tower and some gravestones are still there.
                          Sorry , I meant to say Hill Street . I remember that sand pit so well .

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles View Post
                            Sorry , I meant to say Hill Street . I remember that sand pit so well .
                            Bojangles
                            Yes its Hill Street playground
                            As Pegasus says it is the Old Saint Georges church
                            At one time .when it was first built.....the entrance to it was from Parnell Street just where the sweets shop owned by the " Boss" was
                            ps
                            The photo is back to front
                            You will remember that when you went inside the gate the sandpit was to your left
                            Here it is reversed
                            You are now looking down Hill St
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                              new houses for tallaght, 60s. the long walk back , two kids at sandymount beach.pub in dame st where the invincibles plotted.
                              Nice wans Cos. So a little enhancement here and it shows the pub last year called BROGAN's now closed..... that alleyway takes ye to Crampton Court and the back door of the Olympia....then right through to the back door to the bar in what was the famous Dolphin Hotel....steeped in Dublin history....and a haunt of the Lord Mayor Alfie Byrne who was a regular for breakfast. The most celebrated proprietor in the 40's and later was Jack Nugent, a legend in his own lifetime....and later he took over his father's pub in town called M.Nugent. The Dolphin Hotel building is still there being used for other purposes now....it's in Essex Street.....down Parliament Street from City Hall and turn left....
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 10-09-2017, 08:32 PM.
                              We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by john doran View Post
                                Bojangles
                                Yes its Hill Street playground
                                As Pegasus says it is the Old Saint Georges church
                                At one time .when it was first built.....the entrance to it was from Parnell Street just where the sweets shop owned by the " Boss" was
                                ps
                                The photo is back to front
                                You will remember that when you went inside the gate the sandpit was to your left
                                Here it is reversed
                                You are now looking down Hill St
                                Thanks for that John . My older sisters went to the school across the road from it , so we were brought there quite a lot . I went to the junior infants class in that school for a few days ( don't know why because all my brothers went to St Josephs in Dorset Street )and can vividly remember one child in the classroom being lifted up by the nun and getting a severe beating off her , We are talking about a 4 year old !! He may have soiled himself or something ,but that incident never left me .

Comment

Working...
                                X