X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• and 1911......

Last edited by KatieMorag; 02-12-2017, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• I don't know why Jennie calls herself Hannah and says she's from Carlow......asaik she came from Wicklow. Also the entries for no. 21 Henry Street in 1911 are a little confusing, it looks like there's loads of other people at no 21 but when you look more closely they're at nos 22-26......they look like the staff from the drapers......

Comment

• Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
          Huuuum.....something not quite fitting there right nuff.

So.... Fire in 1894....and assume 21 was involved.....rebuild by 1904 is what various info says. Then builder says rebuild No 21 1913.....odd, but anything could have happened tween time.

Appraisal
          Despite significant alterations, this building retains its general external form. It appears from 'Irish Builder' references that a new building was begun in 1913 on this site and by 1916-17 it was 'being erected'. The architect was George Palmer Beater, while the contractor was Dan Daly. This may mean that it did not suffer as much of the destruction as neighbouring buildings did following the 1916 Rising.
          Then this (again) =
          1875... First Arnotts built.
          1894....First Arnotts burnt out and rebuild starts.
          1901... Wyse-Power living there (1901 Census).
          1904... All reconstruction completed inc the extensions.
          1911... Mrs Wyse Power is living on the premises. (Census).
          1913....Rebuild starts (according to The Builder).
          1916....Bomb damage to some structural work....and lots of damage by fire.
          1917... Number 20 is completely rebuilt.
          1919....No21 has been sorted out certainly by 1919, cos the Volunteers were
          using it as HQ.

Only explanation is that there was some kind of living accommodation there at said times, otherwise someone got it wrong.

Or 21 wasn't touched by the fire in 1894 at all ?. But why rebuild, unless it was only partially damaged...?.

Wonder if they ever thought we'd be unraveling the mystery over a hundred years later.
          Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 02-12-2017, 02:38 PM.
          We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

I don't know why Jennie calls herself Hannah and says she's from Carlow......asaik she came from Wicklow. Also the entries for no. 21 Henry Street in 1911 are a little confusing, it looks like there's loads of other people at no 21 but when you look more closely they're at nos 22-26......they look like the staff from the drapers......
            Yeah...Staff.
            Carlow is a bit confusing.

Comment

• It might just be a case of no 21 "moving" to a new place.......the number that is, not the building. Maybe the whole row of houses was altered so that what was originally no 21 became part of no20 and a new no 21 was built when they rebuilt nos 22-26 in 1912/13........just guessing, but I think it must be something like that.

Comment

It might just be a case of no 21 "moving" to a new place.......the number that is, not the building. Maybe the whole row of houses was altered so that what was originally no 21 became part of no20 and a new no 21 was built when they rebuilt nos 22-26 in 1912/13........just guessing, but I think it must be something like that.
                Trouble is with that.....although a lot of renumbering went on... Original pix of that Arnotts building hardly altered from 1904....as far as I can make out.

Here's a copy of the way it was in original.
                The rebuild was well extended along Henry St.
                Attached Files

Comment

• I give up then......it's actually starting to make my head hurt.........

Comment

I give up then......it's actually starting to make my head hurt.........
                    Think we did very well considering where it all started....If anything turns up while mooching about later ....well and good.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                      Think we did very well considering where it all started....If anything turns up while mooching about later ....well and good.
                      Something fell in me lap....Interesting to see one is a Druggist and the other one a Confectioners. And Mrs W-P mentioned a party wall with Bewleys.... So there we are for now.....again
                      Attached Files

Comment

• I found The Irish Farm Produce Company in the 1913 Dublin phone book, listed at 21 Lower Camden Street and 97 Upper Leeson Street......no mention of Henry Street, obviously the work was ongoing at that time. Maybe I should give them a ring........,

Comment

I found The Irish Farm Produce Company in the 1913 Dublin phone book, listed at 21 Lower Camden Street and 97 Upper Leeson Street......no mention of Henry Street, obviously the work was ongoing at that time. Maybe I should give them a ring........,
                          why not....give them a shout.

Comment

• [QUOTE=DAMNTHEWEATHER;461458]why not....give them a shout.[/QUOT

Imagine if someone answered....

Comment

why not....give them a shout.

Comment

Creeeeepy.....

Comment