This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by paudge View Post
    Well done to all who post these wonderful pics here, its great to look back at all the ''locals'', sadly now long gone into the history books. The Phoenix saw one of my locals as a kid. To the best of my knowledge it closed down in 1960. Last film shown there was Ride Baquero. A western starring Robert Taylor Ava Gardner Howard Keel Anthony Quinn.
    There ya go. a 1953 western film made by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
    Attached Files
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Starboy2 View Post
      Thank you everyone for all the memories of the old Dublin Cinemas, I also just love the Dub speak that goes with it....my memories are with the Ritz in Sandymount ..known to everyone as the Shack..My mother and father had a little cottage beside it when they were first married and the poor little dog they had was blinded in one eye by a stone which was thrown by one of the young lads on the way home from the cinema, so they never did like the Ritz..but to us kids it was the place to be, and yes we had the 4 penny rush, we also had Granny OConner on her little sweet and apple stand at the gate. Mr Brown was the manager and you did not mess with him or out you went. Ahhhh memories are so good as we get old and thank you all for switching on the replay button.
      PS they called it the shack because when first built it had a tin roof and if the rain was hard you could not hear the film...so the Shack...
      CiarĂ¡n Carthy remembers the Shack..

Everything is self-evident.

Comment

• Dorset Picture Hall.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Once my favourite cinemas, here it is as it was at the time I patronised it, 1950s. The Mary Street Cinema, known to all as The Maro.
          Attached Files
          'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rashers View Post
            Once my favourite cinemas, here it is as it was at the time I patronised it, 1950s. The Mary Street Cinema, known to all as The Maro.
            Great pic there Rashers... not seen that one before. Here another and one of recent times with the old door all blocked off.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Great picture of the Maro Rashers. The building to the right of the cinema became O'Shaughnessy's Chemist. I was a messenger boy there in 1957 and many an evening when I finished work I walked out of the chemist and straight in to the Maro. The cinema closed its doors for the last time in 1958. Offhand I can remember seeing Moby Dick there and thought Gregory Peck was just great as Captain Ahab. O'Shaughnessy's lasted into the 80s. The shop is still standing but nothing going on there now, always feel a little sad when I pass by and see the place lying idle.

Comment

• In an earlier posting I said the last film shown in the Phoenix [Feeno] was Ride, Baquero. If was of course Ride, Vaquero. My deliberate mistake

Comment

• 1939 I have it opening.... it included a stage where most acts inc the Rolling Stones / Beatles / Beach Boys n Johnny Cash and many others performed....it lasted till 1995.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                    1939 I have it opening.... it included a stage where most acts inc the Rolling Stones / Beatles / Beach Boys n Johnny Cash and many others performed....it lasted till 1995.
                    I think I saw ''of human bondage'' there......and maybe..''the hill''
                    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

1939 I have it opening.... it included a stage where most acts inc the Rolling Stones / Beatles / Beach Boys n Johnny Cash and many others performed....it lasted till 1995.
                      That bloke leaning on the wall at the bottom left likes like a 'wino' with a bottle in his hand.
                      I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                      Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

• Originally posted by jembo View Post
                        That bloke leaning on the wall at the bottom left likes like a 'wino' with a bottle in his hand.
                        Dat wus Quinner
                        I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

• Originally posted by tommie View Post
                          Dat wus Quinner
                          Deffo Q....
                          Attached Files

Comment

I remember going to see Cliff Richard there about 1963 or 64. Ella Fitzgerald was another star I went to see. When it opened in 1939 the main attraction was Errol Flynn in Robin Hood with Oliva DeHavilland and making a brief appearance............................... TRIGGER. Yes folks the same horse that Roy Rogers rode as he cleaned up the west.

Comment

• Originally posted by paudge View Post
                              I remember going to see Cliff Richard there about 1963 or 64. Ella Fitzgerald was another star I went to see. When it opened in 1939 the main attraction was Errol Flynn in Robin Hood with Oliva DeHavilland and making a brief appearance............................... TRIGGER. Yes folks the same horse that Roy Rogers rode as he cleaned up the west.
                              There ye go....great bit of info P. Think this is from the 30's.
                              Well would you believe it... 1929 silent movie = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pIfgwAlv0c
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 26-02-2015, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tommie View Post
                                Dat wus Quinner
                                lol.....strangely enough tommie...there was always a few demi-johns bubbling away on my kitchen counter top......I loved making wines....

Though, I never drank any.....not even a drop on xmas day....

Nor, have I ever drank other than in pubs or hotel bars.....not a drop now for over thirteen years .....Kath goes to the club every week, and she doesn't even drink alcohol
                                Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X