Borstal Boy (Brendan Behan movie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paddybourke View Post
    Well Deirdre,my grandfather,P.J.Bourke opened a Stage/Film costume & dress hire business in Fredrick St.in the 1920 and moved it to 64 Dame Street,which I know we really owned.So I really grew up in a theatrical family atmosphere,we were always going to The queens,The Olympia,The Gaiety & The Abbey.I'm sure I met almost everyshowbusiness person in Ireland,from Jimmy ODea,Maureen Potter,Noel Purcell on down.Now I'm not saying they would all remember me,but they certainly knew my family.And of course we grew up in The 4 P's so I knew every Showband there was,The Royal,Dickie Rock,The Royal Blues,The Miami,all of them.Here's a little story about Dickie Rock ! He asked me on time in the 4 P's if I would ask my Da for his pay from the night before,so I says to my Da,"Dickie is outside looking for his pay,so my Da stuck a fiver in a pay envelope for him and he was happy as larry !! Now the reason I tell you that is because when he wrote his Dickie Rock Story,he never once mentioned the 4 P's.Now I'm just a regular Dub,no airs or graces,but it's people like him that I would say "Do you know who I am " Sothere you are,I'll think of something else to tell you when I finish,isin't it always like that ?.Tell me about you,where are you from,etcif you don't want to say maybe you can pm me. Seenow I already thought what I wanted to ask you and anyone reading this,Do you remember The 4 P's ? Did you ever dance there ? I forgot to mention Peader Kearny was my Da's mothers brother,and Gerry Ryans Ma was my Das sister.If you think of anything of interest let me know,stay in touch, Paddy
    Paddy, I danced at the FP and loved every min of it, great times and sorry to say i was never a fan of Dickie Rocks.
    Eithne

Comment

Eithne,you can't just leave it at that,tell me about yourself,we might have something in common.

Comment

They went to Marino School ?

Comment

Alright,stop teasing me,I knew a Leonard from Larkhill,am I getting warm ??

Comment

Paddy, I was born in Dublin in 1945, from the age of 17 went to dances, started of going to dances in the Christen brothers on armagh rd Crumlin, well the first time I went to the four P's i could not believe it, it had a balcony all around the upstairs it seemed magical to me, I met my hubby there at the age of 17. we left Ireland in 1988 Mick 45 and me 43 we had two children Karl was 21 and Michelle 20, my son was a private pilot in Ireland and he wanted to finish his commercial here, in North Carolina USA, we now have two beautiful grandsons and I believe you late Dad is responsible for all of this, wish he was still here to tell him, and give him a big hug i married the sweetest man. We lived as i said in an earlier message close to Furlongs, as a matter of fact my sister dated Rory for a short time. hope this is not to much information Paddy but you asked me lol............love your posts

Comment

Howya Eithne,great to hear from you.Like you and a lot of my Family,I met my wife in The 4 P's too,so me Da has a lot to answer for,hopefully all good !!My wife is from Ballyboden,Rathfarnham,never heard of it till I met her,married 41yrs this June and we have3 kids,2men and a woman !!! all born at home in The Coombe.My son Darren is an electrician in Manhattan and Barry is a painter/maint with the MTA in Manhattan,and my daughter Alison is a Speech Pathologist in a hospital in Florida,and we are going there today for 2 weeks.Barry had a baby boy in Jan,our first grandchild,so great excitement there,miss home all the time,stay in touch with all our friends all the time.Don't know if you know,Gerry Ryan was my cousin,hard to believe he's gone so quick,take care ,stay in touch, Paddy

Comment

Hello Paddy,
                Beat you by a couple of years, we were 43 years married last Jan. We had a son and daughter also born in Dublin, our daughter is a radioligst she lives in Wilmington NC she is married and we have two little grandson's Ben 7 Jonathan 5, sadly we lost our son just before his wedding. Paddy the joy of grandchildren is a joy so great we just love to spend time with them, they live about four hour drive from us.
                Congratulations on the new edition to your family.

We were very saddened to hear about Gerry such a young man, our deepest sympathy to you and the rest of his family and friends, lovely hearing from you, take care keep us updated.

Eithne

Comment

Paddy
                  I'd be interested to know if you are aware of any relationship between the Kearney/Behans and a family from Drimnagh of Kearneys

Kathleen Bourke of Kilkenny married Philip Kearney of Dublin in 1923 - family history claims a connection with Peadar Kearney but to date I cannot find a logical one!

Any information would be appreciated - thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post

~ Ends ~
                    Ahhhh brill post R.
                    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by myluck! View Post
                      Paddy
                      I'd be interested to know if you are aware of any relationship between the Kearney/Behans and a family from Drimnagh of Kearneys

Kathleen Bourke of Kilkenny married Philip Kearney of Dublin in 1923 - family history claims a connection with Peadar Kearney but to date I cannot find a logical one!

Any information would be appreciated - thanks
                      Yes they were related Peadar Kearney wrote the national anthem as you prob know, he lived in Inchicore and died there....Behan's Mother Kathleen was a Kearney... Peadar was her brother.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                        Yes they were related Peadar Kearney wrote the national anthem as you prob know, he lived in Inchicore and died there....Behan's Mother Kathleen was a Kearney... Peadar was her brother.
                        Never knew that bit about the national anthem. Thanks 😊
                        I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                        Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Originally posted by jembo View Post
                          Never knew that bit about the national anthem. Thanks 😊
                          Yeah Peadar Kearney...I put a bit in here about the fight he had te get a few bob for royalties...it was tough going...and the thing bein played in every cinema and on tv and anywhere else...think they even played it in pubs at end night at one time....Anyway Peadar lived near my old mans house.....but he and the fella who put the nusic to it never did all that well out of it and they should be getting royalties into their estate to this day...cept they did a once off feal if memory serves.

Comment

Working...
                          X