X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gay Byrne n Kathleen Watkins leave church at Saggart after wedding 1964.
    Attached Files
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
      Gay Byrne n Kathleen Watkins leave church at Saggart after wedding 1964.
      we were at that wedding,,he was a good friend of the Da's
      I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

• Originally posted by bigby View Post
        great photos MARKD, thanks
        any idea why they were striking at the Ilac?
        Here is the article that went with picture:
        EIGHTEEN car parks in Dublin city centre are being picketed by car park attendants in a strike against threatened redundancies.
        The car parks, which include two at the lIac Centre, Parnell Street. one at the Setanta Centre, Nassau Street, and Essex and George's Quay car parks, are owned by Irish Car Parks, a subsidiary of the National Car Parks England group.
        The company is attempting to close some of the car parks and the strike committee representing the 54 attendants on strike is trying to keep the car' parks open and thus save jobs.
        Michael Trimble, spokesperson for the committee, says that the number of cars using the car parks has fallen off, due to the high charges -for parking. He says that the attendants warned the company about exorbitant charges and indeed managed to persuade them to lower the target tariff for a day's parking from £13:50, when the parks first opened, to £8,
        The car park attendants fore saw, that charges which were too high Would lead eventually to an under-use of the car parks, and wanted more realistic charges introduced. This, they feel, will ensure that more people will use the facilities and prevent job losses for the attendants',
        Joe Gavin, a member of the strike committee, called 'on motorists not to pass the pickets, pointing out that it is in their interest to support the strike and help lower parking tariffs, He also revealed that the management were helping to staff the 'car parks in an attempt to break the strike.
        April 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by MARKD View Post
          Here is the article that went with picture:
          EIGHTEEN car parks in Dublin city centre are being picketed by car park attendants in a strike against threatened redundancies.
          The car parks, which include two at the lIac Centre, Parnell Street. one at the Setanta Centre, Nassau Street, and Essex and George's Quay car parks, are owned by Irish Car Parks, a subsidiary of the National Car Parks England group.
          The company is attempting to close some of the car parks and the strike committee representing the 54 attendants on strike is trying to keep the car' parks open and thus save jobs.
          Michael Trimble, spokesperson for the committee, says that the number of cars using the car parks has fallen off, due to the high charges -for parking. He says that the attendants warned the company about exorbitant charges and indeed managed to persuade them to lower the target tariff for a day's parking from £13:50, when the parks first opened, to £8,
          The car park attendants fore saw, that charges which were too high Would lead eventually to an under-use of the car parks, and wanted more realistic charges introduced. This, they feel, will ensure that more people will use the facilities and prevent job losses for the attendants',
          Joe Gavin, a member of the strike committee, called 'on motorists not to pass the pickets, pointing out that it is in their interest to support the strike and help lower parking tariffs, He also revealed that the management were helping to staff the 'car parks in an attempt to break the strike.
          April 1984
          thanks for that MARKD I was not living here at that time so great to get the history of the time

Comment

• Originally posted by tommie View Post
            we were at that wedding,,he was a good friend of the Da's
            jaze imagine dat....rubbin shoulders wit the hoy poloy if ye don't mind. Lovely talented Kathleen was well liked in my time.
            Attached Files

Comment

jaze imagine dat....rubbin shoulders wit the hoy poloy if ye don't mind. Lovely talented Kathleen was well liked in my time.
              Gays mother lived in Rialto Cottages,when me Da worked for the Dublin Artisan Dwellings,,,so he became good friends,,,Gay often came to our place in Rathmines

Comment

Salt n Shake yeah !
                That's them....yum

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Gays mother lived in Rialto Cottages,when me Da worked for the Dublin Artisan Dwellings,,,so he became good friends,,,Gay often came to our place in Rathmines
                    Later he moved to powsh SCR...he did well for himself under the guiding hand of Eamonn Andrews in the early days. Glad he didn't run for President....can ye imagine his TV show 'Late Late, Up the Arus' 1968.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by nansson View Post
                      I just knicked that yesterday, beat me to it....Kennedy I think ?. Famous 100 ton crane in 1957.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Later he moved to powsh SCR...he did well for himself under the guiding hand of Eamonn Andrews in the early days. Glad he didn't run for President....can ye imagine his TV show 'Late Late, Up the Arus' 1968.
                        Silly man givin' all his wealth to Russell Murphy,,,,and I am sure (still doing a bit of checking),Russell was the son or relly of Justice Russell Murphy,from the High Court in the 50's,,he lived in Cowper Drive,up near Palmerston Pk,,,the Da did quiet a few Nixers on his house,,,us Kids got lots of presents from that family.
                        Ps,,,and we had to address his wife as,,Ma'am Murphy,,I beg yer pardon,,,she drove a MG Magnet to our place,,,,,show off
                        Last edited by tommie; 23-07-2013, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• hyster

my pictures

Comment

Silly man givin' all his wealth to Russell Murphy,,,,and I am sure (still doing a bit of checking),Russell was the son or relly of Justice Russell Murphy,from the High Court in the 50's,,he lived in Cowper Drive,up near Palmerston Pk,,,the Da did quiet a few Nixers on his house,,,us Kids got lots of presents from that family.
                            Ps,,,and we had to address his wife as,,Ma'am Murphy,,I beg yer pardon,,,she drove a MG Magnet to our place,,,,,show off
                            Yeah...the lot 20/30 years wages squandered by a gangster.Seems after that he demanded a massive pay rise from RTE and got it.
                            Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 23-07-2013, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I just knicked that yesterday, beat me to it....Kennedy I think ?. Famous 100 ton crane in 1957.
                                About time someone beat ya.....!

Comment

Working...
                                X