X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jembo View Post
    Foley Street
    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rashers View Post
      And all the babbies parked outside the dinner house (Lourdes House) while the nuns down in the basement dole out the stew in pots and billycans. Then the mothers hid the pots and cans under their coats (if they had one) or in the babbies prams, because they felt ashamed that they were getting the free dinners, god love them.
      I remember going there Rashers,we called it the stew house,I remember thinking the rice pudding was lovely,everything was served on white metal dinner plates with a blue stripe around the edge,the shame we felt for going there,how sad was that?

Comment

• The Pet Shop
        Attached Files
        I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
        Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

• Originally posted by maire View Post
          I remember going there Rashers,we called it the stew house,I remember thinking the rice pudding was lovely,everything was served on white metal dinner plates with a blue stripe around the edge,the shame we felt for going there,how sad was that?
          I liked Fridays. Rice and jam. That was because the nuns wouldn't serve anything with meat in it.

When I think of those times! I used to stand at the railing above the basement taking in all the lovely smells coming from the kitchen. It was the first place I saw a dessert spoon.

And of course I loved the gur cake.

Comment

• We thought dessert spoons were jewelry.

Comment

The Pet Shop
              Tommy's old Pet Shop. Tommy's a member here, most likely our oldest member, although he looks in intermittently, he doesn't post much these days. Tom lived in the same house as Bang Bang in Mill Lane in the Liberties....his Ma used to look after BB. Tommy was doin OK last time I spoke to him....must give him a call for Christmas.

Myer Rubinstein's Shop on the corner of Lombard Street West and Clanbrassil Street. Run by his son Barney for all the time I can remember. barney was in the Jewish Choir and loved to sing all day - loudly - while working away in the shop....a real character.
              Attached Files
              We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                Tommy's old Pet Shop. Tommy's a member here, most likely our oldest member, although he looks in intermittently, he doesn't post much these days. Tom lived in the same house as Bang Bang in Mill Lane in the Liberties....his Ma used to look after BB. Tommy was doin OK last time I spoke to him....must give him a call for Christmas.

Myer Rubinstein's Shop on the corner of Lombard Street West and Clanbrassil Street. Run by his son Barney for all the time I can remember. barney was in the Jewish Choir and loved to sing all day - loudly - while working away in the shop....a real character.
                i think he is, hope so anyway......next time he's in dublin, he'll mention me to some of his relations.....friends from the old days.....
                Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• CIE publicity photo taken in 1948 on the Foster aquaduct Broadstone with the Hendron building under construction in the back ground.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Is this the 'cage' in Corporation St
                    Attached Files

Comment

Is this the 'cage' in Corporation St
                      Yep, better known as The Buildings.

Comment

• Howth tram.

tall ships 1880s.

corporation bldgs. `61.
                        Attached Files
                        in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Is this the 'cage' in Corporation St
                          bit more info on that pic, from the booklet: Memories from Corporation Buildings and Foley Street
                          Attached Files

Comment

• There's a good article here from Terry Fagan. http://rabble.ie/2012/04/17/folklore...-stood-strong/

Musta been a hell-hole to live in.
                            Attached Files
                            We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Another one of The Buildings. Was this Holy Year 1950?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Another one of The Buildings. Was this Holy Year 1950?
                                The decorations were for a Corpus Christi procession.

Comment

Working...
                                X