This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
    There ye go ! I'd seen this on Goolie alright...mind you, yill have te go hunting those four medals laid under the corners....have ye got a metal detector yet ?. Seems that whole area just outside the castle was the place to live at the time, and Francis Aungier, led the band. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis...er_of_Longford

Another interesting thing I found out while digging, was the answer to why Thomas Moores house looks nothing like it did when he was born there.
    Was trying to work it out a good while back with someone who lives down there and uses JJ's, (can't remember who now), but the reason is that apparently they knocked the old building down and completely rebuilt it.

There was a hue and cry in the papers at the time, but it didn't stop it. Later, the bronze bust from the niche was allegedly, sold off for scrap....ffs.

On another note; Apparently still today, there is a classic example of stucco work on the ceiling in Fannigan's Undertakers, next to the old private medical school now Avalon House on the corner same side as the church.
    I arranged things in there for me Da in 2005, and when I look back, while hanging around in their front office, I did clock how elaborate the ceiling was right enough.

Seems that whole area is steeped in rich history, but ppl like me and you, walking around about their business wouldn't have a clue.

Cheers Noel - It's a shame about that Tom Moore bust, but not surprised , you know yourself that some folk care more about cash than historic pieces of Irish history.

I drink in JJs all the time, it's a great boozer, one of the last proper local boozers in town. JJS himself still serves behind the bar.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridge View Post
      Hi Martin - This is a picture of the corner you are asking about - the graveyard was at the back of these houses. the entrance was through a gateway in Great Ship Street, there is a car park there now but there is a sign on the wall outside with information on the graveyard and church and school that stood on the site.
      Bridge
      Thanks bridge so my flat is exactly where that old house is, amazing to think there was a graveyard close by at one stage. It's pretty much a car park / waste ground and occasional film set. I think there was a green walkway planned for it a few years ago but it was canned. I think also that the Raddison had plans to extend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Martinb View Post
        Cheers Noel - It's a shame about that Tom Moore bust, but not surprised , you know yourself that some folk care more about cash than historic pieces of Irish history.

I drink in JJs all the time, it's a great boozer, one of the last proper local boozers in town. JJS himself still serves behind the bar.
        Martinb.....I haven't been in there for 10 years......there must be some locals there that know the area
        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Martin........pic two here is not Benburb Street... it's Aungier Place.... included in 'Dublin Tenement Life' by Kevin Kearns, Image No 15. And today.
          Thank Noel - The site I found it I'm said it was benburb. Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Martinb View Post
            Thank Noel - The site I found it I'm said it was benburb. Thanks for clearing that up.
            Yer welcome M.
            Thomas Mc Donagh Portrait.
            Thomas was born on the 1st of February 1878 in Cloughjordan. His brothers John, Joseph and Jim were born in Cloughjordan. Residents of that time recalled with affection this talented and well loved family. Their mother gave piano lessons to local children after school. They recalled the MacDonagh children as ‘high-spirited’, playing games with them and roaming the fields and surrounding countryside. Thomas made many references to the local places of his youth in his poems. Commandant of the 2nd Battalion, Dublin Brigade of the Irish Volunteers, which fought in Jacob's biscuit factory. He was executed for his part in the Rising at the age of thirty-eight.
            Attached Files
            We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Oldie.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Anyone recognise this building ?.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Old Westmoreland.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Anyone recognise this building ?.
                    Is it the kildare street club, or a gentlemans club in kildare st.
                    Old age and treachery will outdo youth and skill anyday

Comment

• Don't park yer car round here mister.........
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharkface View Post
                        Is it the kildare street club, or a gentlemans club in kildare st.
                        I think it was an old officers club Shark....but can't remember exactly.... I have a tagged copy somewhere, will try dig it out.

Comment

I think it was an old officers club Shark....but can't remember exactly.... I have a tagged copy somewhere, will try dig it out.
                          Ya mean I might be wrong again ??
                          Old age and treachery will outdo youth and skill anyday

Comment

• Crowds gather at the end of Parliament Street during the 4 Courts Occupation.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• 1 April 1927 Dev and his Ma Catherine Coll.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Crowds gather at the end of Parliament Street during the 4 Courts Occupation.
                                When we have our next revolution or civil war I'm opening that burger stand.
                                'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Working...
                                X