X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bridge View Post
    Hi Martinb
    as i said its a drawing - its from Thoms Directory 1850

the 1st one is the drawing from the directory, the 2nd is a cut out, I tried to enlarge it because the writing is so fuzzy, but had no luck but you can see the words police station (i'm sure) hope it helps
    That sorts it then Bridge.....well done....it seems things changed and the entrance got smaller or something, anyway I do believe we've nailed it OK. This from a quick search;

RIC / DMP Stations for : Dublin City

District Station A Division DMP
    Kevin St. Upr.
    Kevin St. Upr., Horse Barracks
    Chancery Lane
    Newmarket
    Kilmainhan
    Grand Canal Harbour
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
      That sorts it then Bridge.....well done....it seems things changed and the entrance got smaller or something, anyway I do believe we've nailed it OK. This from a quick search;

RIC / DMP Stations for : Dublin City

District Station A Division DMP
      Kevin St. Upr.
      Kevin St. Upr., Horse Barracks
      Chancery Lane
      Newmarket
      Kilmainhan
      Grand Canal Harbour
      well, whatever happened.......when that end of the lane was demolished......some of the brickwork was left and formed Dockrells walls....the rest was built up in cement blocks.....

from memory, Dockrells had an entrance gate about where that gate was....and another where the shop on the left is..
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• While we are on the subject of Ship Street - another few, they were probably posted before - apologies and thanks to the previous posters I can't remember where I got them.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Have this photo of Soldiers patrolling on two Forums and a Facebook site. At least one person on each site feels that it does not look like a Dublin City street. Reasons given are, no street lights, no side walks, no cobblestones etc. I feel those that think that way have a very strong argument, as it is only guesswork as to where the Street is, and if it is in the Dublin City area. People have mentioned Smithfield and North Brunswick Street heading for Arbour Hill area. No one really knows what these streets looked like 92 years ago, unless photos of that time can prove otherwise.
          With regard to Smithfield the photo does show a wide area, large buildings that would not be out of place in a City, an industrial Chimney in the top right. Smithfield was a Farmers Market probably more so than now and the street surface could have been designed to suit.
          I also attach a photo of more soldiers on patrol. The National Library has it designated as 'British Troops in the Streets of an Irish town in 1920'. This 'Irish Town' is in fact the Phibsboro Road close to Doyle's Corner and on the way to Broadstone. There does not seem to be any Street lights here either. To be honest I now think that considering that mistakes of location can be made 30 to 90 years later that the photo could relate to Soldiers on patrol in Lucan, Swords, Skerries or Balbriggan or even further afield, who knows. Its still a good atmospheric image from that time.

Attached Files
          Last edited by pegasus; 12-07-2014, 09:55 PM.

Comment

While we are on the subject of Ship Street - another few, they were probably posted before - apologies and thanks to the previous posters I can't remember where I got them.

I don't know how far down the first photo is......but, the chip shop was there at the steps I think....

Comment

• another selection

1 Bride Street 1950
              2 Bride Street 1950
              3 Christchurch
              4 Engine Alley
              5 Fishamble Street
              6 Fishamble Street
              Attached Files

Comment

another selection

1 Bride Street 1950
                2 Bride Street 1950
                3 Christchurch
                4 Engine Alley
                5 Fishamble Street
                6 Fishamble Street
                bridge.....do you recognise any of the Kielers in the bride st photo....?

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
                  bridge.....do you recognise any of the Kielers in the bride st photo....?
                  Hi quinner
                  i thought the guy on the left was familiar, is it Thomas?

Comment

• a few more

1 Fishamble Street
                    2 Fishamble Street
                    3 Dockerells Shop Georges Street
                    4 Rag Dealers Patrick Street c1906
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi quinner
                      i thought the guy on the left was familiar, is it Thomas?
                      bridge....I see two kielers and a Wynne there......

may be wrong......but I see, Paddy and Eric Keiler.....and Johnny Wynne...

Comment

I keep looking and looking.....I now see the boy with his back to the camera as....Paddy Graham, lived in chancery lane.....

Comment

Hi Quinner
                          I don't think you are wrong, I knew most of the Kielers but I'm very bad with names. Johnny Wynne as far as i remember had black hair but he would have been in his late teens or early twenties when i knew him, he would have been a friend of my cousins Jimmy Wall - but the boy with the blond hair looks like him.

Comment

Hi Quinner
                            I don't think you are wrong, I knew most of the Kielers but I'm very bad with names. Johnny Wynne as far as i remember had black hair but he would have been in his late teens or early twenties when i knew him, he would have been a friend of my cousins Jimmy Wall - but the boy with the blond hair looks like him.
                            bridge.....

I think that photo is about 1953.....

paddy, eric, and johnny are two to three years older than me....more my big brothers age.....

jimmy was about my age, he would have known them....but, not as close friends at that age.....

jimmy was more friendly with the Mahons and myself.....me and him often went camping in knockree......and spent many great days with us all swimming in the dodder...

Comment

bridge.....

I think that photo is about 1953.....

paddy, eric, and johnny are two to three years older than me....more my big brothers age.....

jimmy was about my age, he would have known them....but, not as close friends at that age.....

jimmy was more friendly with the Mahons and myself.....me and him often went camping in knockree......and spent many great days with us all swimming in the dodder...

BRIDGE......sorry I said Eric Kieler......I meant John kieler.....

Comment

Hi Martinb
                                as i said its a drawing - its from Thoms Directory 1850

the 1st one is the drawing from the directory, the 2nd is a cut out, I tried to enlarge it because the writing is so fuzzy, but had no luck but you can see the words police station (i'm sure) hope it helps
                                That's it wrapped up bridge - another mystery solved again.
                                Thanks v much

Comment

Working...
                                X