This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
    old buildings are not usually suitable for modern use..(computor flooring, fire regulations etc)....is it wise to stop devopers from knocking them down and building suitable structure in their place.......?????
    can the new building not be enjoyed by the new generations, just as we enjoyed the old....
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
      old buildings are not usually suitable for modern use..(computor flooring, fire regulations etc)....is it wise to stop devopers from knocking them down and building suitable structure in their place.......?????
      Facade retention answers the problem, when you can put what you like behind it.
      We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
        Facade retention answers the problem, when you can put what you like behind it.
        only in certain cases to be economical........with a 300mm computor floor and false ceilings to house sprinkler/lighting/heating etc.....

there is no romm between a lot of old floor levels......of course there should be so that can be saved....but not for general usage.....

motor roomless lifts give them a certain advantage to keep below height regulations....but does not solve all the needed sq. floor area......the developer must be able to make a profit.....otherwise no developers....

blending in is a better solution......but, there has to be leeway.....the council should make a photo record of such demolition sites that have no choice.....

Comment

These were good jobs if you could get in.1957.
          great photo,i worked at the hotel in dawson st it was across the road from the mansion house as a page boy,cant think of the name of it,started with a hir,would you have any photos of the pages boys d t w,around 1962.

Comment

• Was it the La Stampa Hotel?
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by rosebud View Post
              great photo,i worked at the hotel in dawson st it was across the road from the mansion house as a page boy,cant think of the name of it,started with a hir,would you have any photos of the pages boys d t w,around 1962.
              Hibernian? My cousin was some kind of chef there, his name Michael Moore.
              'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rashers View Post
                Hibernian? My cousin was some kind of chef there, his name Michael Moore.
                my mother worked there.....through the sixties.....

Comment

• Back in the early 50's a drover was herding a flock of sheep along the Grand Canal,near Portobello Bridge,,some sheep ran amok,,down Lr Mt pleasant Ave,one happened to run up a lane way then jump over 2 wall that were about 4 foot apart,on to our shed roof,in Bannaville,then on up to the main house roof,,the Da,called the fire brigade to assist,,the result is in the photo,,,Da on the right,sheep got away..pity,,thought we were in for Lamb Chops
                  sorry the pic is not great
                  Attached Files
                  I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

• Hahaha...brilliant Tommie
                    Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Nice one AD... another couple of views.
                      Thanks DTW

Comment

• support your local sherriff.

cabra west stew house.

the tartans from ballyer . [someone on face book was looking for them].

liffey ferry.

this dublin family emigrated to oz in the 50s with ten children [five more born in oz].
                        Attached Files
                        in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• black maria.

dublin kids in "bumper boots". ...kid on right looks like one of the lawless`s from ringsend??.

liffey swim.

new rail.

gotchie .
                          Attached Files
                          in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                            dublin kids in "bumper boots". ...kid on right looks like one of the lawless`s from ringsend??.
                            That photo was taken in a Summerhill backyard about 1965. The kid on the extreme right is Albert Moran who lived next door to us in the 60s. As far as I know Albert still lives in the area.
                            'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

• Title says it's goldenlane

Is it?
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Martinb View Post
                                Is it?
                                Oh it is Golden Lane The Cinaman pub can be seen.

Comment

Working...
                                X