Aer Lingus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bojangles View Post

Dinny , they have been like that a long time now. I remember a few years ago , if you had a choice of who to fly with to the same destination , you would always choose Aer Lingus , but now it’s the opposite. They have gone downhill. They were flying from Lanzarote to Dublin last week and forgot to put enough fuel in the plane , so had to divert to Faro after a half hour. Ridiculous.
    That is a unbelievable Bo....and so dangerous .....I will think twice before I travel with them again
    The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post

That is an unbelievable Bo....and so dangerous .....I will think twice before I travel with them again
      They are never on time , whereas Ryanair take time keeping very seriously.

Comment

They're privatised now so profit is god.
        I think Willie Walsh left IAG & it's run by a Spaniard now.

Comment

Originally posted by ob1kenobi.23 View Post
          They're privatised now so profit is god.
          I think Willie Walsh left IAG & it's run by a Spaniard now.
          Willie Walsh tried to buy Aer Lingus years ago. Bertie Ahern blocked it. In hindsight it was a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post

Willie Walsh tried to buy Aer Lingus years ago. Bertie Ahern blocked it. In hindsight it was a bad idea.
            Did he ry to buy it for himself or BA.

Comment

Originally posted by ob1kenobi.23 View Post

Did he ry to buy it for himself or BA.
              FROM HIS WIKIPEDIA ENTRY

In October 2001, Walsh was elevated from COO to CEO of Aer Lingus, succeeding Michael Foley, who had resigned following a harassment complaint.[4][5] The carrier was in financial difficulty. Walsh eliminated 2,000 staff positions and reconfigured Aer Lingus as a low-cost airline.[6] He also withdrew various services like short-haul Business Class[7] and restricted the airline's frequent-flyer programme, TAB.[citation needed]

The company operating profits rebounded, but the cost of the write-offs and redundancies meant that net profitability was not as quick to recover. Not all of Walsh's reforms were successful, such as the outsourcing of aircraft cleaning. The contracting had not been agreed with Aer Lingus unions, which led to large payments to the private contractor while Aer Lingus employees did the cleaning work. A three-day lock-out occurred in 2002 during the peak of the cutbacks.[citation needed]

The management team suggested to the principal shareholder, the Irish Government, a float of Aer Lingus on the stock market. Stock floats are often rewarding to top management and this was opposed by the unions who feared a privatised Aer Lingus would impose even tougher working conditions. The Government eventually turned down the float, and Walsh resigned from the company in January 2005.[8]

The Taoiseach Bertie Ahern subsequently described Walsh's offer of an MBO as "a time when management wanted to steal the assets for themselves through a management buy out, shafting staff interests".[9]

Dermot Mannion, formerly of Emirates, succeeded Walsh as Aer Lingus chief executive officer in August 2005.[10]

He went to British Airways, where he would replace Rod Eddington at the end of his contract.[2] Walsh was hired in May 2005, with a six-month shadowing period to get to know the business before the departure of Eddington in October 2005.[2]
              Last edited by bojangles; 21-03-2024, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Booked Aer Lingus flight to Bordeaux ....was to Fly out at 11.50am on Thursday last , booked a taxi to the airport and only one I could get was at 8.15am that morning , so I was in the airport and checked in by 9am.....went to departures only to be told that flight was delayed until 2pm......Got on the plane at 2pm sitting in seat for about 15 mins only to be told to get off again as the plane was not fit to fly.
                Got on another plane and took of about 3.40pm......arrived in Bordeaux at about 6.30pm.....20 mins getting through passport control....then 50mins waiting for bags to be loaded on to conveyor belt.....another 20mins to get a tram to hotel ...9.20pm checking into hotel....whole day wasted we were supposed to arrive in a 3pm.....also on flight home on arrival at Dublin airport ...we were 45 minutes waiting on bags to arrive at the belt , we were at belt 5 the belt with the Bordeaux baggage sign ... and of course the bag started coming out at belt one....45 minutes later.....I will never give out about Ryanair again .....Aer lingus are hopeless..
                Decided to apply for compensation from Aer Lingus on Saturday for the delays......believe it or not got a text about an hour ago to say i'm entitled to 250 euro for each person....so 500 euro will be deposited into my account in the next few days......Great company that Aer Lingus !!!!!!

Comment

Decided to apply for compensation from Aer Lingus on Saturday for the delays......believe it or not got a text about an hour ago to say i'm entitled to 250 euro for each person....so 500 euro will be deposited into my account in the next few days......Great company that Aer Lingus !!!!!!
                  Nice one ....... use them again ? .

Comment

Originally posted by Twobob View Post

Nice one ....... use them again ? .
                    Yes.....And hope i'm delayed again....lol

Comment

I wonder if Michael O'Leary would do that.

Comment

I really like this post, well done Dinny

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post

I really like this post, well done Dinny
                          Thanks bigby ....wasn't going to bother ....and wasn't expecting anything back...thought they would come up with some excuse not to pay out

Comment

Working...
                          X