No announcement yet.

Piles Buildings Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i had this little motor to rewind last week, this is the oldest motor I have ever come across to rewind, its amazing to say that it was made only twelve years after the first heavier than air aeroplane was tested by the wright bros 1902 ? and the first world war was only two months started. its only 1/6 horse power , I wondered what it was for, as it turned out when the owner picked it up ,he told us it was out of the organ in St marys catederal here in perth [it drives the bellows]. that company 'century' still manufacture motors today mostly fans. this would have been state of the art back then......

p/s sorry for the poor pics ,I had to use camera on to my mobile screen and then onto computer.
    Attached Files
    in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
      i had this little motor to rewind last week, this is the oldest motor I have ever come across to rewind, its amazing to say that it was made only twelve years after the first heavier than air aeroplane was tested by the wright bros 1902 ? and the first world war was only two months started. its only 1/6 horse power , I wondered what it was for, as it turned out when the owner picked it up ,he told us it was out of the organ in St marys catederal here in perth [it drives the bellows]. that company 'century' still manufacture motors today mostly fans. this would have been state of the art back then......

p/s sorry for the poor pics ,I had to use camera on to my mobile screen and then onto computer.
      Strange looking set of fail-safe on what looks like the brake/clutch....
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

DC Gearless

Nice photo of some DC gearless machines
        Attached Files

Comment

generator...

DC motor on the right with DC generator on the floor.....

Notice banks of resistors on controller for Ward-Leonard circuit....
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
            DC motor on the right with DC generator on the floor.....

Notice banks of resistors on controller for Ward-Leonard circuit....
            Easy to see why we were well-used to getting electric shocks......lol

Comment

Easy to see why we were well-used to getting electric shocks......lol
              The usual introduction for a new Mate into a Lift Motor/Room was...

DON'T FU**ING TOUCH.....ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Only if you tell me what was the function of the compensating chains/s or in most lifts..Compensating ropes....
                Wudja give over ffs
                We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                  Wudja give over ffs

OK.lol.....

Look at the weight of the ropes hanging over when the lift is at the top.....The chains/ropes compensate for that weight so the Motor has less work to do,,,,,

Now you can buy me a pint.....

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post

The supply in the UK is 415volts at 50 cycles.....240 volts each phase....

That must be 120 volts each phase....Much the same as it is in the USA today....

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post

That must be 120 volts each phase....Much the same as it is in the USA today....
                      Schindler's (Swiss) is 380 volts 50 cycles. 220 volts each phase......Ok in the UK except for door operator motors which had transformers for the UK market.....

Comment

that's 120 v single phase joe.

Comment

• Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                          that's 120 v single phase joe.

What is the supply in Australia cos.

Comment

OK.lol.....

Look at the weight of the ropes hanging over when the lift is at the top.....The chains/ropes compensate for that weight so the Motor has less work to do,,,,,

Now you can buy me a pint.....
                            That's worth 2 pints.
                            We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

What is the supply in Australia cos.
                              the single phase voltage is 240v 50 ~, three phase is 415v 50~. it used to be 250v 40 ~ single phase, and 440 v 40~ three phase. a lot of the time we have to convert the voltage and cycles to suit the aus system, most of the American motors are 115 v 60~. and a lot of them are wound with aluminium wire [which is good for a rewinder here as the copper equivelant is smaller than aluminium because of the resistance difference, it means theres more room in the slot to work with].

Comment

• Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                                the single phase voltage is 240v 50 ~, three phase is 415v 50~. it used to be 250v 40 ~ single phase, and 440 v 40~ three phase. a lot of the time we have to convert the voltage and cycles to suit the aus system, most of the American motors are 115 v 60~. and a lot of them are wound with aluminium wire [which is good for a rewinder here as the copper equivelant is smaller than aluminium because of the resistance difference, it means theres more room in the slot to work with].
                                I remember some US up and over Doors at the Honda car factory being 115v 60 cycles.........

The use of frequency drive motors these day will take care of the cycles......Most lifts now have 110 volt transformers for DC circuitry so no problems with the use of US equipment....

Look at the size of the rectifier on the top of the controller in my picture.....Bare wires floating about everywhere....They were 110V (Otis) 90v (Schindler)..........The difference being that UK 415v.....Swiss 380v supply.....
                                They use three Thermisters now wrapped at 120 degrees.....

Notice also no rubber mats beside controllers etc....Plenty of sparks came from bare/metal toe-tector boots.....That is the back of the controller in the picture....contactors and relays are at the Front....

Comment

Working...
                                X