This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twobob's Antiques Road Show.

Up to scratch on old pocket watches , have come across one , 9cr gold made in 1927 with chain , also 9ct gold with a 1914 George V sovereign attached to it .
    Last edited by bojangles; 16-02-2020, 08:42 AM.

Originally posted by Twobob View Post
    Up to scratch on old pocket watches , have come across one , 9cr gold made in 1927 with chain also 9ct gold with a 1914 George V sovereign attached to it .
    Could be a Chester 1927 .By Smith & Ewen.....if it is could be worth up to 1,000 euro...
    The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

could be a Waltham American made, gold watch`s are very desirable right now, gold is at a very good price, I had a chance a few years ago to purchase a hand made pocket watch [every part was individualy hand made ] 24 carat, 1670 or so was the year, it was beautiful to look at, the workmanship was superb .
      it was going for 7,500 $. funny enough the antique shop it was in, the owner was up in court on a charge of selling stolen antiques months later.
      in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Thanks lads ……...I was having a vision of the scene from ' Only Fools And Horses ' .

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
          could be a Waltham American made, gold watch`s are very desirable right now, gold is at a very good price, I had a chance a few years ago to purchase a hand made pocket watch [every part was individualy hand made ] 24 carat, 1670 or so was the year, it was beautiful to look at, the workmanship was superb .
          it was going for 7,500 $. funny enough the antique shop it was in, the owner was up in court on a charge of selling stolen antiques months later.
          His time was up then .

Comment

he tried to fob me off.
            in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Where did you find it anyway TB?

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                Where did you find it anyway TB?
                The Mrs came across it when clearing out her family home few months back , me thinking it was on her fathers side .

Comment

Good thread Twobob , what do you all think of having a thread dedicated to antiques , valuation etc ?. We could start one and merge this to get it started.Or just rename this one.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
                    Good thread Twobob , what do you all think of having a thread dedicated to antiques , valuation etc ?. We could start one and merge this to get it started.Or just rename this one.
                    Work away Bo ……….I have 2 old Jelly Moulds [copper] stamped , my mother brought them down to the [what was ] Skylon Hotel years ago , there was a valuation crowd in , can't remember what they put on them , also a 1 old ' Free State ' pound note ' , the moulds are nice when polished up .

Comment

We will all be on it as I think we are all antiques LOL

Comment

Good idea Bo

I have a little I think Pewter, notebook cover with the head of Edward V11. It was made to commemorate his coronation. It belonged to my father's cousin who lived with us.

Comment

Why not...I spent years restoring old stuff antique and Vicky as a small hobby business......and three years weekend salesman at pals antique shop...always had an interest.

This American Rocker in mahogany, I was given about 43 years ago along with £50 for fixing an old ladies chimney pot flaunching that was leaking. We did a deal for the work. She had gotten it from her aged aunt who had died, she had one of her own so I said I'd do the job for the chair plus £50 and the deal was done.

The rocker was in a hell of a state and I had to totally dismantle it and re-glue all parts, clean and re-polish and re-upholster in a Pimo design fabric.....took fair bit of time ....but as Mrs Damn was keen on one for years, it was a pleasure to do it.

Some examples of American Rockers out there and the price. Quite a few have been altered ....I believe the arm rest cushions are an add on...I found mine had extra bits of new ish timber added to make the arm rest wider, so decided to restore to original, hence no cushioning. They're late Victorian and a comfy rock,,,but no roll Value: between £250 and £350 depending on condition.

With turned spindles and stretchers, and upholstered seat, back and arms, this is an example of the classic American rocking chair.
                          Attached Files
                          We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                            Why not...I spent years restoring old stuff antique and Vicky as a small hobby business......and three years weekend salesman at pals antique shop...always had an interest.

This American Rocker in mahogany, I was given about 43 years ago along with £50 for fixing an old ladies chimney pot flaunching that was leaking. We did a deal for the work. She had gotten it from her aged aunt who had died, she had one of her own so I said I'd do the job for the chair plus £50 and the deal was done.

The rocker was in a hell of a state and I had to totally dismantle it and re-glue all parts, clean and re-polish and re-upholster in a Pimo design fabric.....took fair bit of time ....but as Mrs Damn was keen on one for years, it was a pleasure to do it.

Some examples of American Rockers out there and the price. Quite a few have been altered ....I believe the arm rest cushions are an add on...I found mine had extra bits of new ish timber added to make the arm rest wider, so decided to restore to original, hence no cushioning. They're late Victorian and a comfy rock,,,but no roll Value: between £250 and £350 depending on condition.

https://www.antiques-atlas.com/antiq...hair/as231a362
                            Yes , Damn , and a good idea to post pics up as well .So have have you a go to guide book on identifying stuff ?

Comment

Love the thread title!

Comment

Working...
                              X