Your First Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your First Car

Mine was a 1964 Volkswagen Beetle 6 volt battery. I bought it 1975 for 100 pounds in an “ back street garage “ in Abbey Street. They saw me coming! Everything that could go wrong with it did. How I wasn’t killed in it I’ll never know.
    Last edited by bojangles; 09-01-2024, 08:40 AM.

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
    Mine was a 1964 Volkswagen 6 volt battery. I bought it 1975 for
    1971 Austin 1100 I got it for nothing from my Father in 1976 as he was upgrading

Comment

Obe1Keonobi, just to give you the heads up, when you type the pound symbol all the script after that gets deleted. We had this problem with the previous forum software, not sure why its happening on this.

Comment

Mine was a "Fiat Ritmo" ..aka (a heap of shite) ....Bought it in the late 70's for 400 punts .....Like Bo they saw me coming ....from the first day I bought it, it would conk out about 4 or 5 times a week ....having to ask passers by for a push to get it started. ..had the car a week when the clutch burned out.....they put a new one in for half price.....it also burned out after a week......had to get it towed away , garage said the clutch cable was to short and clutch pad was tight and it was burning away while I was driving. That was only the start of it.

Called up to mate of mine one evening....and a guy he worked was also there....we were talking about cars and he happened to say that his wife was looking for a car and the only one she would drive was a Fiat Ritmo as she had one before.....and he said we was on the look out for a banger that he could do up himself...I said I have one outside and you could have it for the right price .....he went out and had a look ...he said it wasn't in great shape but if i was selling it he could offer me no more that 400 punts.....I nearly took the hand off him....it was his the next day.
        The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post
          Mine was a "Fiat Ritmo" ..aka (a heap of shite) ....Bought it in the late 70's for 400 punts .....Like Bo they saw me coming ....from the first day I bought it, it would conk out about 4 or 5 times a week ....having to ask passers by for a push to get it started. ..had the car a week when the clutch burned out.....they put a new one in for half price.....it also burned out after a week......had to get it towed away , garage said the clutch cable was to short and clutch pad was tight and it was burning away while I was driving. That was only the start of it.

Called up to mate of mine one evening....and a guy he worked was also there....we were talking about cars and he happened to say that his wife was looking for a car and the only one she would drive was a Fiat Ritmo as she had one before.....and he said we was on the look out for a banger that he could do up himself...I said I have one outside and you could have it for the right price .....he went out and had a look ...he said it wasn't in great shape but if i was selling it he could offer me no more that 400 punts.....I nearly took the hand off him....it was his the next day.
          She is probably still trying to start it

Comment

Fiat 124, friend of brother in law won a car and was only selling because of that!! cost a fortune to keep repairing it but I managed to go a lot of paces in Ireland in it when it decided to work

Comment

Obe1Keonobi, just to give you the heads up, when you type the pound symbol all the script after that gets deleted. We had this problem with the previous forum software, not sure why its happening on this.

Thanks Bo, it frustrated the hell out of me last night,

My first jalopy was a 1962 Mini Minor which I bought in Sept 1964 for 140 quid.
              I’d just sold my Bonneville the weekend before for 180.

I’ve had 3 Fiats, an 1100 Speciale, a 128 & a Panda.
              They were all trouble free apart from the Panda as the Mrs couldn’t get it into reverse.

My brothers first was car a Ritmo which didn’t give him any trouble till he stuck it in a granite wall in Dartry & wrote & wrote it off.

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
                Fiat 124, friend of brother in law won a car and was only selling because of that!! cost a fortune to keep repairing it but I managed to go a lot of paces in Ireland in it when it decided to work
                FIAT , short for Fix it again Tony.

Comment

Or, first in all things.
                  Some also say, F—k it away today.

Comment

Originally posted by ob1kenobi.23 View Post
                    Or, first in all things.
                    Some also say, F—k it away today.
                    And yet , a lot of drivers swore by them. After driving bangers for a few years , namely the Beetle, a Corsair , a Ford Capri automatic and constantly breaking down on my way to work as a brickie , which could be anywhere in Dublin I decided to get finance and bought a two year old Toyota K30. Absolute luxury!
                    Around the same time , my brother bought a two year old Austin Allegro for nearly half the price for what I paid. If you know anything about these cars you’d know that was not a bargain. It was always breaking down , every time I’d look out the window he would have the bonnet up after detecting another queer smell or water leak. Only 2 years old !, They were nicknamed “ all aggro “ in England.

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post

You did very well there Dinny. How could you live with yourself.

Comment

My brother in law only drives Fiats & Alfas & has just restored an X19.
                        Have to say I’ve been very lucky with cars as the only really troublesome one I had was the mini, my first car.
                        The suspension collapsed, the water pump bearing went & put the fan through the rad.
                        The bracket on the bulkhead which supported the master cylinder & the engine tie rod broke away causing the engine to fly backwards & shatter the SU carb.
                        Leaving the lights in Rathmines one night, the driver’s seat pulled out of the floor leaving me sprawled in the back of the car & the GF having to steer from the passenger seat till I managed to pull the hand brake & turn it off.

Comment

And yet , a lot of drivers swore by them. After driving bangers for a few years , namely the Beetle, a Corsair , a Ford Capri automatic and constantly breaking down on my way to work as a brickie , which could be anywhere in Dublin I decided to get finance and bought a two year old Toyota K30. Absolute luxury!
                          Around the same time , my brother bought a two year old Austin Allegro for nearly half the price for what I paid. If you know anything about these cars you’d know that was not a bargain. It was always breaking down , every time I’d look out the window he would have the bonnet up after detecting another queer smell or water leak. Only 2 years old !, They were nicknamed “ all aggro “ in England.
                          The K 30 one of my favourite cars l sold mine to a footballer called Ray Keogh he was a black guy and he played League of Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by rasher View Post

The K 30 one of my favourite cars l sold mine to a footballer called Ray Keogh he was a black guy and he played League of Ireland
                            I had 3 of them rasher, one after the other and have driven Toyota ever since.
                            quick story, I was brought to a Drums match when I was about 11 or 12 , and my only memory of it was the ball going out of touch and this black player came over to retrieve it whereby he got disgusting abuse from the fans , as an 11 year old I couldn’t understand why they were doing it. The ref said something to him like “ just ignore them “ He always stuck in my mind , who was he , how did he get on , I wonder what had happened to him. Fast forward about 50 years my wife said did you know Ray Keogh died ? I said who is he , she said you must have met him dozens of times , he was always in her fathers shop in Windy Arbour , I used to help behind the counter when they were busy back in the 80s and he lived across in the “ Scheme “ as they called Columbanus. , the houses behind the 9 arches Pub. So that was what became of him. He had good tastes in cars too

Comment

My first car was an NSU Prinz 4 a car that looked the same coming or going because of the shape ...it was one nippy car ...then Opel Kadetts and a Datsun which went like a rocket...the only problem was rust ..the subframe collapsed .under me whilst I was driving it past Mountjoy garda station ....luckily it was taxed and insured ...the roof actually rusted off it enentually....then Toyotas and a Renault which refused to start in any kind of damp weather no matter what remedy I applied to it

Comment

Working...
                              X