Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viking Splash in liquidation ?

Will be a shame if it's gone...

The popular tour business is facing liquidation, and a lot of people have been feeling nostalgiac.
    Everything is self-evident.

Originally posted by cogito View Post
    I heard the owner talking about it on the radio and I feel sorry for him as he was after spending a lot of money upgrading the business before all this shit happened

Comment

God is that still around? I remember going on that back in 1990, our driver was called Patrick I seem to remember

Comment

Same operation I'm sure. Hopefully someone will bail them out... pardon the expression.
        Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Same operation I'm sure. Hopefully someone will bail them out... pardon the expression.
          I believe that was on the Bull Road (bull Alley street) across from the Bayno.....I have never seen it but have heard a lot about it.....

I Believe the Viking Ships could get up as far as there on the river Poddle.....There was one pool (from where Dublin got its name) below the hill that is now the site of Dublin Castle but looking at the lay of the land when I was a kid I believe there was another pool along the Poddle that would be from Bride road Corner where the old City Gate used to be along Patrick street up to the Coomb (Valley), where the river split in two to form an Island...A stream coming down New street would have helped to form that pool.....

All speculation but I believe that was the situation....
          Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
            I believe that was on the Bull Road (bull Alley street) across from the Bayno.....I have never seen it but have heard a lot about it.....

I Believe the Viking Ships could get up as far as there on the river Poddle.....There was one pool (from where Dublin got its name) below the hill that is now the site of Dublin Castle but looking at the lay of the land when I was a kid I believe there was another pool along the Poddle that would be from Bride road Corner where the old City Gate used to be along Patrick street up to the Coomb (Valley), where the river split in two to form an Island...A stream coming down New street would have helped to form that pool.....

All speculation but I believe that was the situation....
            Had the kids in town good few years ago , out of the blue ended up doing a tour of Dublin Castle , enjoyable have to say .......... came out of there went across the river and brought them into the 4 courts ............ happy to say they've never been back there since .........touch wood .

Comment

Originally posted by Twobob View Post
              Had the kids in town good few years ago , out of the blue ended up doing a tour of Dublin Castle , enjoyable have to say .......... came out of there went across the river and brought them into the 4 courts ............ happy to say they've never been back there since .........touch wood .
              LOL.....One of my childhood playgrounds....Well If you stood below Bermingham tower you would have been in the Pool in Viking times...The river Poddle went around the church there, it the split in two going either side of parliament street and joined up again to go into the liffey..I believe the Poddle would have been tidal up as far a little ship street and maybe a bit further.

Comment

LOL.....One of my childhood playgrounds....Well If you stood below Bermingham tower you would have been in the Pool in Viking times...The river Poddle went around the church there, it the split in two going either side of parliament street and joined up again to go into the liffey..I believe the Poddle would have been tidal up as far a little ship street and maybe a bit further.

When O'Neill and O'Donnell escaped from Dublin Castle I bet they waited for the tide to come in and hid in the Poddle on their way up to New Street to get out of Dublin.

Comment

Very interesting stuff Q, thanks for posting it

Comment

Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                    Very interesting stuff Q, thanks for posting it
                    Thank you.......Next time you pass St Patricks Cathedral and the park....Imagine the pool that was there...See the high bit on the east side of the park that goes all the way to Bride Road as there is the same high bit in the Bayno yard......If you go in the bayno front door on the street level you have to go down a floor to come out the back door....

Comment

Take wood quay for instance....Yes it was made out of wood, that I believe was the main docking area for Dublin.....
                      The Custom house was then just by Capel street bridge on the banks of the river poddle..There is a Corporation building there that I believe took its place (I think they have the electoral roll there). I believe that the docks went all along there with the fish being landed at the bottom of fishamble street.....I think the liffey was very wide there all the way to the Brazen Head where another stream emptied into the Liffey.I believe there was another stream coming in from the North side...The first Bridge then was across the river from the Brazen head..Bridge street.....Wine was probably landed along there for the wine Taverns in Winetavern street..

Comment

Take wood quay for instance....Yes it was made out of wood, that I believe was the main docking area for Dublin.....
                        The Custom house was then just by Capel street bridge on the banks of the river poddle..There is a Corporation building there that I believe took its place (I think they have the electoral roll there). I believe that the docks went all along there with the fish being landed at the bottom of fishamble street.....I think the liffey was very wide there all the way to the Brazen Head where another stream emptied into the Liffey.I believe there was another stream coming in from the North side...The first Bridge then was across the river from the Brazen head..Bridge street.....Wine was probably landed along there for the wine Taverns in Winetavern street..
                        I am remembering all this from when I was a ten/twelve year old boy with a great interest in history and geography....

Comment

I remember as a little boy I was told by my granddad that the seaside was once beyond rings.....I already knew that my uncle worked had worked on the docks extension on the other side of the river......It made sense that the gates on the east side of Alexandria Road were called ''the extension gates''.......It was ever said that they knocked down tenements in Dublin, just to get the rubble for the docks extension.....Living in a one room flat was great for overhearing adult chats and conversations....I became an avid eavesdropper at a very young age......

Comment

I remember as a little boy I was told by my granddad that the seaside was once beyond rings.....I already knew that my uncle worked had worked on the docks extension on the other side of the river......It made sense that the gates on the east side of Alexandria Road were called ''the extension gates''.......It was ever said that they knocked down tenements in Dublin, just to get the rubble for the docks extension.....Living in a one room flat was great for overhearing adult chats and conversations....I became an avid eavesdropper at a very young age......
                            I did wonder why eaves were ears for listening...Then one day I saw a house that resembled a mans head with a hat on.....Of course then the eaves were just below the hat....

Comment

I did have a look for the elusive 'ushers island'.....But could not work it out with the lay of the land..I think it was all built over mainly by the lower Guinness works...

The ''back of the pipe''....The pipes were for the water needed to make Guinness....It was brought from the Poddle by pump or gravity.....I would say origionnly gravity but I don't know how far south up the Poddle they would have went to get the height needed for a gravity flow.......

Don't know if they needed the Poddle's black water for colour or flavour or they couldn't pump up the hill from the liffey...

I know the railway was origionally planned to go along the river past Guinness's docks.....Why they stopped where they did I don't know.....Was it because of the docks or because the ground was not suitable?....I would say it was very marshy there at one time because of the original island....

Comment

Working...
                              X