X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by john doran View Post
    DTW
    Merrion Parade had also been known as Llandaff House and Herbert Lodge
    It was just past the Saint Mary's Blind Asylum almost facing Booterstown Train station
    Well spotted JD....excellent....and it's still there as Llandaff Terrace.... looks like the old houses have been all done up and kept as well as the name. https://www.instantstreetview.com/@5...,237h,3.67p,1z
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
      [
      Can't for the life a me find Merrion Parade....any ideas ? Mt Merrion Ave YES but NO Parade.

How come Monmouthshire ??? have I missed something ?. Don't ya just love the names....good o.

As R M Levey would have been away from home from time to time fulfilling engagements in the UK and Europe, it is possible that some of the christenings were held back until he was at home. Mozart must have died as he appears to have disappeared from the scene altogether.

However another problem arises for me here.

The other two boys were called Haydn and Handel after the composers. Handel seems to have disappeared and I have Haydn Handel being baptised in 1841 and further information on his life in London, as detailed below.

The question is was the name Handel repeated, that is the first name of one child, and the second name of his brother. It would seem odd by our standards, but that was a different time. However, Handel has disappeared also and I can find no further record of him beyond the birth in the newspaper.

1841 Haydn Handel Levey was baptised.

By jaze he might have been away a lot....either the wimmin were nymphos or he never practised the fiddle

Haydn Handel also called himself Handel. He was a Silk Agent. He died on 18th June 1920 in Lambeth where he had lived. His second wife, Fanny died in 1916.

See pix for pic uploading.

That's all for tonight folks
      If you hit the QUOTE box as to quote a post as normal.....you will see pic one....but scroll to the btm of the frame and hit the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS box and you will get Pic 2.

From here hit the first CHOOSE FILE box and it will take you to where your computer files are stored....Find what you want and hit the UPLOAD BOX and when it's done close the frame. That takes ye back to the post you were sending and the pic will be attached to your post.... Post Preview.....to check it's ok....then SUBMIT REPLY to post it.

Sounds complicated but a lot easier than it sounds....try it.[/QUOTE]

DTW I tried to upload the picture had no joy. I did what you said and clicked manage attachments. I chose the file and got it from where it was saved, but when I hit upload, it disappeared. I tried it three times. I don't know what I am doing wrong, so no picture.

In 1842 Mary Levey was born, christened in St Andrews in Westland Row.

In 1843 Lina O'Shaughnessy Levey was born. Unfortunately I have no date for her birth or christening, and no further information about her at all.

In 1844 Francis Sophia Levey was born. The spelling Francis is normally used for a boy, while Frances is used for a girl. As this child was a girl presumably this is a spelling error in the record. Spelling mistakes are very common in the records.

In 1844 R M Senior and Ellen and family had moved to 70 Great Brunswick Street. In 1845 and 1846 they had moved to no. 56 Great Brunswick Street.

In 1860 (approx.) Emma Levey, daughter of R M Senior and Ellen, married Henry Alfred Cruise, referred to already.

On 7th July 1863 R M Senior’s wife Ellen died of apoplexy at 193 Great Brunswick Street. She is buried in Glasnevin cemetery.

On 21st September 1863 the Misses Levey opened an Academy of Music at 193 Great Brunswick Street. They are daughters of R M and Ellen, but I am unsure as yet, as to which ones they were.

On 28th August 1864 R M Senior husband of the late Ellen married Julia Cruise in Dundrum.

On 1st March 1866 they had a child Joseph Mario Richard. He was born at 61 Lower Mount Street. He died on 15th September 1869 at 61 Lower Mount Street at three years of age.

Julia Cruise Levey herself died on 31st March 1869 also at 61 Lower Mount Street

More tomorrow

Comment

• Brill job there V2...... such detail must have taken a long time to collect.

Comment

Brill job there V2...... such detail must have taken a long time to collect.
          Thanks DTW this kind of thing always take a long time to do. Sorry about the photograph. Maybe if I try some other time, I will have better luck

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
            Thanks DTW this kind of thing always take a long time to do. Sorry about the photograph. Maybe if I try some other time, I will have better luck
            Yer doin very well..... great story.....For pic = QUOTE..... MANAGE ATTACHMENTS......CHOOSE FILE......DOUBLE CLICK ON PHOTO YOU WANT.......UPLOAD.....an yer done

Comment

Yer doin very well..... great story.....For pic = QUOTE..... MANAGE ATTACHMENTS......CHOOSE FILE......DOUBLE CLICK ON PHOTO YOU WANT.......UPLOAD.....an yer done
              Sorry this episode is late coming, I was out last night and just too tired to do it when I came back home.

On 2nd July 1874 Marie Levey, second daughter of R M Senior of 61 Lower Mount Street, married Hugh Rooney of Edinburgh in Westland Row church.

On 15th July 1874 R M Levey Senior, married (for the fourth time) Elizabeth Ledwidge. Elizabeth Ledwidge was born in 1855. She was quite a bit younger then her husband. She also was a musician/singer.

On 8th March 1880 Mrs Elizabeth (Ledwidge) Levey played the part of Azucena in Il Trovatore as part of a Benefit Concert for R M Levey himself, in the Gaiety Theatre, Dublin.

On 25 February Mrs Elizabeth (Ledwidge) Levey appeared in the Annual benefit Concert for R M Levey in the Gaiety Theatre, Dublin. The Leveys were living in

On 28th December 1883 while still living at 61 Lower Mount Street, Charles Santley Levey was born. He was named after Charles Santley, opera and oratorio star. In the census of 1901 and 1911 he is recorded as Charles Santty. His occupation is recorded as 'barber' when in fact he was a banker.

On 7th December 1884 Emma Levey, widow of Henry Alfred Cruise died at 15 Westland Row, Dublin.

In 1895 R M Senior and his wife Elizabeth moved from Lower Mount Street to Violet Hill, Vico Road, Dalkey. Violet Hill had been the family home of Eliabeth Ledwidge.

R M Levey Senior died on 28th June 1899 aged eighty eight. He was buried on 1st July 1899 in Glasnevin Cemetery, grave no. B5 Garden Reference Section 2844, in the O’Connell Circle. There was a huge funeral with many tributes paid to him by emimant musicians. He was a great loss to the musical world.
              I have pictures of some of the tributes made to him, but unfortunately so far I have not been successful in posting pictures. Maybe in the future.
              His wife Elizabeth and their son Charles Santley continued to live in Violet Hill.

Last part tomorrow

Comment

Sorry this episode is late coming, I was out last night and just too tired to do it when I came back home.
                No excuse....hoot with the owls and soar with the eagles....you know the drill sailor....

Comment

On 2nd July 1874 Marie Levey, second daughter of R M Senior of 61 Lower Mount Street, married Hugh Rooney of Edinburgh in Westland Row church.

On 15th July 1874 R M Levey Senior, married (for the fourth time) Elizabeth Ledwidge. Elizabeth Ledwidge was born in 1855. She was quite a bit younger then her husband. She also was a musician/singer.

On 8th March 1880 Mrs Elizabeth (Ledwidge) Levey played the part of Azucena in Il Trovatore as part of a Benefit Concert for R M Levey himself, in the Gaiety Theatre, Dublin.

On 25 February Mrs Elizabeth (Ledwidge) Levey appeared in the Annual benefit Concert for R M Levey in the Gaiety Theatre, Dublin. The Leveys were living in

On 28th December 1883 while still living at 61 Lower Mount Street, Charles Santley Levey was born. He was named after Charles Santley, opera and oratorio star. In the census of 1901 and 1911 he is recorded as Charles Santty. His occupation is recorded as 'barber' when in fact he was a banker.

On 7th December 1884 Emma Levey, widow of Henry Alfred Cruise died at 15 Westland Row, Dublin.

In 1895 R M Senior and his wife Elizabeth moved from Lower Mount Street to Violet Hill, Vico Road, Dalkey. Violet Hill had been the family home of Eliabeth Ledwidge.

R M Levey Senior died on 28th June 1899 aged eighty eight. He was buried on 1st July 1899 in Glasnevin Cemetery, grave no. B5 Garden Reference Section 2844, in the O’Connell Circle. There was a huge funeral with many tributes paid to him by emimant musicians. He was a great loss to the musical world.
                  I have pictures of some of the tributes made to him, but unfortunately so far I have not been successful in posting pictures. Maybe in the future.
                  His wife Elizabeth and their son Charles Santley continued to live in Violet Hill.

Last part tomorrow

I am still having no joy importing the pictures. Don't give up hope, I might manage it yet.

Next episode

Charles Santley was a Banker, although the census form lists him as a barber, in error. The 1901 census lists the family as Sevey rather than Levey. The handwriting on the original form is unclear. On 10th June 1913 Charles Santley married Alice Carton of 10 Castlepark, Sandycove.

In Jan/March 1915 Maureen Elizabeth Levey was born to Charles Santley Levey and Alice Carton Levey. She was born in Violet Hill.

The Leveys also had a son called Richard Michael, but unfortunately I don't have a record of his actual birth.

8th February 1937 Maureen Elizabeth Levey of Violet Hill married Thomas E F Bennet, in the church of the Assumption, Dalkey.

27th April 1957 Charles Santley Levey died at Violet Hill. He is buried in Deansgrange cemetery.

On 7th March 1959 Richard Michael (Dick), son of Charles Santley, Levey of Violet Hill died in Guildford in Surrey. He is buried in Deansgrange cemetery.

In May 1963 Thomas Bennett died suddenly in Kerry.

15th January 1971 Maureen Elizabeth Bennet (nee Levey) died at Violet Hill

Maureen Levey and Thomas Bennett had about seven children, almost all of whom moved abroad to live. The remaining daughter who stayed in Ireland was Penelope Bennett. She married a well known journalist in RTE. I have the names but because I don't have the permission of the people concerned, I feel is best not to reveal them. As far as I am aware, they are all still alive.

I hope you all enjoyed the story.

Comment

• Thanks for posting your family story Vico. Where do you yourself fit into it? Of course you might not want to say.
                    Going to start up a new thread with the title "My Family Story" so that members who have successfully researched their families back through several generations can share their stories. They can then be added to or edited if needed, and people reading them might find they share a common ancestor!

Comment

• Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                      Thanks for posting your family story Vico. Where do you yourself fit into it? Of course you might not want to say.
                      Going to start up a new thread with the title "My Family Story" so that members who have successfully researched their families back through several generations can share their stories. They can then be added to or edited if needed, and people reading them might find they share a common ancestor!
                      At this point Katie I would say fourth cousins to the present Leveys. I wish I could have put up the pictures though, it would have made a difference.

I think your idea of a family history thread is a great one Katie.

Comment

At this point Katie I would say fourth cousins to the present Leveys. I wish I could have put up the pictures though, it would have made a difference.

I think your idea of a family history thread is a great one Katie.
                        good, i'll crack on with it.

Actually when I'd thought some more about it I decided it wasn't such a good idea after all as it could lead to all sorts of complications, so I've scrapped the idea.
                        Last edited by KatieMorag; 11-02-2018, 04:51 PM.

Comment

I often see individual threads on both the Genealogy forum and in the Neighbourhood Forums by people who have hit a brickwall in their research, requesting information on a particular family. I thought it might be an idea to have
                          a thread devoted to such queries, to be used by anyone who has exhausted all the usual sources available. People could post everything they know of the person/family they're looking for, and others could reply by PM if they know anything, to prevent the thread becoming too long and unweildy. If it could be stickified, that would be even better - the posts would be there for all new members to see, and they wouldn't get lost.
                          For those who are on facebook, there are 2 great site's

IGP's County Dublin (or whatever county) Ireland Genealogy Group
                          AUSSIE & UK ANGELS - reuniting long lost family and friends

They found my cousins in Oz with 12 hours.

Comment

• Originally posted by bettyl View Post
                            For those who are on facebook, there are 2 great site's

IGP's County Dublin (or whatever county) Ireland Genealogy Group
                            AUSSIE & UK ANGELS - reuniting long lost family and friends

They found my cousins in Oz with 12 hours.
                            Very useful thanks Betty.

Comment

Thanks for posting your family story Vico. Where do you yourself fit into it? Of course you might not want to say.
                              Jayzizmarynholysaintjoseph... I might find oim related te you....then wha eh ?.

Comment

Jayzizmarynholysaintjoseph... I might find oim related te you....then wha eh ?.
                                We'd have to call off the wedding

Comment

Working...
                                X