Booth Brothers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booth Brothers

I'm trying to find information on Booth Brothers, a Dublin hand tool manufacturer. They made hand planes, saws, chisels, lathes and many other tools. They started out on Golden Lane 1830, moved to 63 Upper Stephen Street around 1860. The Stephen street address was also the location of Dunlops tyre factory, but I've seen advertisements from the same period for Booth brothers, so it appears they shared the address (one of the booths was on Dunlops board of directors). The factory on Stephen Street burnt down in 1935. I'm not sure if the booth brothers ever set back up in that location. I know in the 1960s they where in operation at 18 Pembroke row, before moving out to Bluebell and finally winding up in the late 80s. Booth Poole the car assembler was a related business that evolved out of their involvement with Dunlop and the car industry. I have a small collection of their tools, and a catalog from the early 1920s. If anyone has any other information about them, or even knows one of the Booths descendants, I would love to hear from you.

Originally posted by seanodonnell View Post
    I'm trying to find information on Booth Brothers, a Dublin hand tool manufacturer. They made hand planes, saws, chisels, lathes and many other tools. They started out on Golden Lane 1830, moved to 63 Upper Stephen Street around 1860. The Stephen street address was also the location of Dunlops tyre factory, but I've seen advertisements from the same period for Booth brothers, so it appears they shared the address (one of the booths was on Dunlops board of directors). The factory on Stephen Street burnt down in 1935. I'm not sure if the booth brothers ever set back up in that location. I know in the 1960s they where in operation at 18 Pembroke row, before moving out to Bluebell and finally winding up in the late 80s. Booth Poole the car assembler was a related business that evolved out of their involvement with Dunlop and the car industry. I have a small collection of their tools, and a catalog from the early 1920s. If anyone has any other information about them, or even knows one of the Booths descendants, I would love to hear from you.
    After the fire in August 1935 they moved (across Sth Great Georges street ) to 15 to 17 South King Street and were back trading in September a week or two later
    That premises were almost opposite the Gaiety theatre.
    On January 29th 1958 they closed Sth King street for stocktaking ...closed there completely and opened in Pembroke Row on 10 February 1958

Comment

Originally posted by john doran View Post
      After the fire in August 1935 they moved (across Sth Great Georges street ) to 15 to 17 South King Street and were back trading in September a week or two later
      That premises were almost opposite the Gaiety theatre.
      On January 29th 1958 they closed Sth King street for stocktaking ...closed there completely and opened in Pembroke Row on 10 February 1958
      Thats fantastic information John, Thank you very much! Those are very precise dates! Do you mind if I ask how you know?

Comment

Thats fantastic information John, Thank you very much! Those are very precise dates! Do you mind if I ask how you know?
        Newspaper reports which are available online in the local libraries
        and Street directories
        Here is the notice of them moving from South King street to Pembroke Row Feb 1958
        Attached Files

Comment

Thats really useful! Thank you!

Comment

Thats really useful! Thank you!
            Hope that helped with the time Sean

Comment

Working...
            X