Clear All

• Wow!! Thank you.

Comment

• Great work Jem....very interesting - thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by nansson View Post
        Great work Jem....very interesting - thanks
        Thank you for those kind words.
        I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
        Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

• Encore !!!

Well Jembo, with over 35'000 hits on this and your Irish Def Force medal Thread.....may I applaud you for all the effort you have put into colating the information for both these superb threads.....it shows a dedication to the subject and to this forum......I think I can speak for a lot of members when I say you can consider yourself a much valued member of the team here. Thank you. http://www.dublinforum.net/forum/sho...70&postcount=1
          We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• yes a great effort there, most interesting thread to read.
            in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• Originally posted by jembo
              DTW, many thanks for the kind words. I had a little opposition when I started the thread but little did I know that after all this time and over 35.000 views it is still going strong. Because of the 'Military Amnesia' practiced by successive Irish Governments it was a thread waiting to happen.

The Irish have dominated the history of the Victoria Cross with nearly 200 recipients.
              The first VC was awarded to Irishman Charles Lucas.
              The last irishman to win a VC was James Magennis
              The only man in the world to win the VC and the Iron Cross was Dubliner William Manley
              The youngest recipient was fifteen year old drummer boy Thomas Finn.

The Victoria Cross carries the highest prestige of all military decorations.

I used to do a speech about the Irish VC's on the club circuit and it always went down very well with the audience. My speech was entitled:-

It's only a little piece of Bronze
              ''It's only a little piece of bronze'''

Jembo, as far as I'm concerned your Posts have won you the biggest gold medal in the whole World........Great info, great research, and cracking posts....We are all admiringly proud of Men and Women who win honours, but specially proud when they are our fellow Countrymen/Women.....

I bet your speeches were eagerly awaited no matter where you went....I would have loved to be one of your audience.....

I would dearly love to meet you in person one day, a chat, a drink, a sharing of old Dub. memories but most of all just so I can say to those I meet in the future...''I met Jembo''.....
              Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Ah Jazis joe there won't be a door big enough for me to to get my head in after you and DTW have finished with me.
                Sure what about you joe and your many amusing threads threads that have the likes of me rolling on the floor at times . Your poams thread is a pleasure to read and I can't imagine how you can put then together at shuch short notice.
                Your contribution to the forum is loved by all and your quick Dublin wit is indeed a pleasure to behold. One day we will have that pint and we might even invite your man on the beach to join us. What do you think of that then? Maybe summertime in Bournemouth?
                Under the Boardwalk jembo......Burt the Sailor must behave....

Comment

Ah Jazis joe there won't be a door big enough for me to to get my head in after you and DTW have finished with me.
                  Sure what about you joe and your many amusing threads threads that have the likes of me rolling on the floor at times . Your poams thread is a pleasure to read and I can't imagine how you can put then together at shuch short notice.
                  Your contribution to the forum is loved by all and your quick Dublin wit is indeed a pleasure to behold. One day we will have that pint and we might even invite your man on the beach to join us. What do you think of that then? Maybe summertime in Bournemouth?
                  Jembo.....Me and Kath may drop down one Sunday to where you are....Could meet you in that open space by the old market or somewhere..

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
                    Jembo.....Me and Kath may drop down one Sunday to where you are....Could meet you in that open space by the old market or somewhere..
                    Joe, I am going out to lunch with a group on Sunday so unfortunately I am unable to meet up, however I would love to do it another day.

Comment

• Originally posted by jembo View Post
                      Joe, I am going out to lunch with a group on Sunday so unfortunately I am unable to meet up, however I would love to do it another day.
                      No probs Jembo......We shall feed the Seagulls instead...

Comment

• Well done JBo....

Comment

Lieutenant Walter Richard Pollock Hamilton VC Indian Army. Born on 18th August 1856 at Inistioge, Co.Kilkenny. Killed in action at Kabul 3rd September 1879. Facebook.
                          Another gem JBo....one more remembered.

Comment

• Is this the same man at top of page?
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Nemesis View Post
                              Is this the same man at top of page?
                              The very same man. Thanks for the contribution.

Comment

• I can't fully remember why I have a copy of this old bookCover.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X