This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
    That's him....no further with McKenna as yet, but still looking. Can't be that many left.
    True... Lawson mentions that when he joined in March '21 the unit had a total strength of 21 - three companies of six men led by Tom Kehoe, Joe Leonard and Jimmy Slattery - with O'Daly in overall command.

Mick McDonnell
    Tom Kehoe
    Jimmy Slattery
    Paddy O'Daley
    Joe Leonard
    Vinny Byrne
    Sean Doyle
    Paddy Griffin
    Eddy Byrne
    Mick Reilly
    Jimmy Conroy
    Ben Barret
    Bill Stapleton
    Charles Byrne
    Pat McCrae
    Charlie Dalton
    Ben Byrne
    Frank Bolster
    Mick Keogh
    Mick Kennedy
    Sam Robinson
    Johnny Dunne
    Joe Byrne
    Paddy Drury
    Patrick Lawson
    Tom Mckenna

How does that tally ?
    Everything is self-evident.

Comment

• Originally posted by cogito View Post
      True... Lawson mentions that when he joined in March '21 the unit had a total strength of 21 - three companies of six men led by Tom Kehoe, Joe Leonard and Jimmy Slattery - with O'Daly in overall command.

Mick McDonnell
      Tom Kehoe
      Jimmy Slattery
      Paddy O'Daley
      Joe Leonard
      Vinny Byrne
      Sean Doyle
      Paddy Griffin
      Eddy Byrne
      Mick Reilly
      Jimmy Conroy
      Ben Barret
      Bill Stapleton
      Charles Byrne
      Pat McCrae
      Charlie Dalton
      Ben Byrne
      Frank Bolster
      Mick Keogh
      Mick Kennedy
      Sam Robinson
      Johnny Dunne
      Joe Byrne
      Paddy Drury
      Patrick Lawson
      Tom Mckenna

How does that tally ?
      Just the job, probably the only place on the net / in books with a true figure and names to date.
      PS; I emailed T P Coogan for some info, await reply.
      We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Rare pic; Charlie Dalton (right)...with brother Emmet. Charlie was a member of Collins' Squad. Emmet was a jack of all trades.
        Attached Files

Comment

Rare pic; Charlie Dalton (right)...with brother Emmet. Charlie was a member of Collins' Squad. Emmet was a jack of all trades.
          Good pic of the Dalton bros...

Comment

Mick McDonnell
            Tom Kehoe
            Jimmy Slattery
            Paddy O'Daley
            Joe Leonard
            Vinny Byrne
            Sean Doyle
            Paddy Griffin
            Eddy Byrne
            Mick Reilly
            Jimmy Conroy
            Ben Barret
            Bill Stapleton
            Charles Byrne
            Pat McCrae
            Charlie Dalton
            Ben Byrne
            Frank Bolster
            Mick Keogh
            Mick Kennedy
            Sam Robinson
            Johnny Dunne
            Joe Byrne
            Paddy Drury
            Patrick Lawson
            Tom Mckenna

How does that tally ?
            Think we can add John Caffrey to the list. Info tells us although he was only involved with the Squad for a short time before he was absorbed into the ASU, he nevertheless took part with the Squad in the attempted springing of MacEoin from Mountjoy in May 1921.

Comment

Think we can add John Caffrey to the list. Info tells us although he was only involved with the Squad for a short time before he was absorbed into the ASU, he nevertheless took part with the Squad in the attempted springing of MacEoin from Mountjoy in May 1921.
              Well... so did Emmet Dalton - but he wasn't in The Squad. Caffrey's Witness Statement is here... http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.i...BMH.WS0569.pdf

Am I being a tad pernickety ??

Comment

Well... so did Emmet Dalton - but he wasn't in The Squad. Caffrey's Witness Statement is here... http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.i...BMH.WS0569.pdf

Am I being a tad pernickety ??
                Well yeh, but Dalton was into everything and was just about everything.

Caffrey ?....Lewis Gun....Moreland's......the job....and later officially inducted into the fledgling ASU. So I would say he just scrapes in, as that job was all Squad men as I read it, except for Dalton. Although he's not so hard necked to record himself as being a 'member' member....I think he just qualifies, and I'd say the other lads would count him in if we could ask them. Slight 'pernickertyness' but I'll give you the last word.
                Squad man Jim Slattery.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Oh okay... we'll put him in the new list... John Caffrey... and DTW...

Comment

• The Squad... early Summer 1921.

Mick McDonnell
                    Tom Kehoe
                    Jimmy Slattery
                    Paddy O'Daley
                    Joe Leonard
                    Vinny Byrne
                    Sean Doyle
                    Paddy Griffin
                    Eddy Byrne
                    Mick Reilly
                    Jimmy Conroy
                    Ben Barret
                    Bill Stapleton
                    Charles Byrne
                    Pat McCrae
                    Charlie Dalton
                    Ben Byrne
                    Frank Bolster
                    Mick Keogh
                    Mick Kennedy
                    Sam Robinson
                    Johnny Dunne
                    Joe Byrne
                    Paddy Drury
                    Patrick Lawson
                    Tom Mckenna
                    John Caffrey

Comment

Oh okay... we'll put him in the new list... John Caffrey... and DTW...
                      LOL....I've got my personal Squad pic courtesy of Boxy long time ago.
                      I think we now have the only definitive list of all true Squad men to be found anywhere on the net.
                      Though ye never can tell what might turn up.......
                      L-R; Mick McDonnell - DTW - Tom Keogh - Vinnie Byrne - Paddy Daly - Jim Slattery.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 08-04-2013, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• Fella on the left would blend in anywhere... obviously why they picked him.

Follyups... the ASU... GHQ Intelligence... 'part timers'... spies ??

Comment

Fella on the left would blend in anywhere... obviously why they picked him.

Follyups... the ASU... GHQ Intelligence... 'part timers'... spies ??
                          Yeh Right ! LMAO. GHQ Intel will be the easiest to sort for starters.
                          Michael Collins = Director of Intelligence
                          Liam Tobin = Deputy Director of Intelligence.
                          Tom Cullen = Assistant Director of Intelligence.
                          Frank Thornton = Deputy Assistant Director of Intelligence.
                          Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 04-04-2013, 08:00 AM. Reason: To include the Director - M.Collins

Comment

• The Squad.

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                            The Squad... early Summer 1921.

Mick McDonnell
                            Tom Kehoe
                            Jimmy Slattery
                            Paddy O'Daley
                            Joe Leonard
                            Vinny Byrne
                            Sean Doyle
                            Paddy Griffin
                            Eddy Byrne
                            Mick Reilly
                            Jimmy Conroy
                            Ben Barret
                            Bill Stapleton
                            Charles Byrne
                            Pat McCrae
                            Charlie Dalton
                            Ben Byrne
                            Frank Bolster
                            Mick Keogh
                            Mick Kennedy
                            Sam Robinson
                            Johnny Dunne
                            Joe Byrne
                            Paddy Drury
                            Patrick Lawson
                            Tom Mckenna
                            John Caffrey
                            Hi all great post I have just read a lot of it, I have a few amendments to the list. I would take John Caffrey off as he was only used for one job ie the Armoured Car job, also Dalton I would class him & Joe Dolan as Intelligence officiers also Jackie/Johnny,Jack or John Dunne off the list as he was second in command of the ASU complete unit under Paddy Flanagan & was never a Squad member. As far as I know I am right with all the above.

Your missing Johnny Wilson transferred from the third ASU , Listed in a couple of books as a Squad member,also on Jim Harpurs statement as a Squad member & on O`Dalys as Jimmy Wilson ! There was also a couple more third ASU men transferred between March & April into the Squad as they where needed to take the Igoe gang out.

Another way of working Squad men out from Intelligence Officers is that none of the Intelligence Officers to my knowledge took part in the burning of the Custom House ! as it would have been madness to include them.They did become part of the Guard late May early June 1921 ,so thats where the whole thing gets all mixed up, also Intelligence did some of there own hits Joe Dolan seems to have been good at that !
                            Last edited by The Dublin Guard; 07-04-2013, 06:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dublin Guard View Post
                              Hi all great post I have just read a lot of it, I have a few amendments to the list. I would take John Caffrey off as he was only used for one job ie the Armoured Car job, also Dalton I would class him & Joe Dolan as Intelligence officiers also Jackie/Johnny,Jack or John Dunne off the list as he was second in command of the ASU complete unit under Paddy Flanagan & was never a Squad member. As far as I know I am right with all the above.

Your missing Johnny Wilson transferred from the third ASU , Listed in a couple of books as a Squad member,also on Jim Harpurs statement as a Squad member & on O`Dalys as Jimmy Wilson ! There was also a couple more third ASU men transferred between March & April into the Squad as they where needed to take the Igoe gang out.

Another way of working Squad men out from Intelligence Officers is that none of the Intelligence Officers to my knowledge took part in the burning of the Custom House ! as it would have been madness to include them.They did become part of the Guard late May early June 1921 ,so thats where the whole thing gets all mixed up, also Intelligence did some of there own hits Joe Dolan seems to have been good at that !
                              Hi DG... good to see you back.

On the GHQ Intelligence people - we'd kicked off back in January with these -

Liam Tobin
                              Tom Cullen
                              Joe Dolan
                              Frank Thornton
                              Frank Saurin

I don't think we ever had Dolan down as a Squad member...

On Charles Dalton, though it's well known he was an intelligence man during the Civil War I'd always assumed he was an active member of The Squad during the WOI - can be rechecked.

Caffrey was discussed by myself and DTW a few nights ago and fair enough there is a grey area relating to some of those seconded to the unit for particular operations...

For Wilson, we can re-check O'Daley's witness statement...

Similar re-check with Dunne - is it possible that there were transfers out of the Squad too... ?? Dalton to Intelligence and Dunne to the ASU ?

Comment

• Very glad TDG has brought up the question of Joe Dolan, even though we hadn't included him in Squad activities. I have been pursuing Joe Dolan's story on and off over past weeks and I've come to the conclusion that he should be included as a Squad member along with Frank Thornton.

Although both are universally recogonised as Intel Officers...a close look reveals they did more......In the case of Dolan we should take into account his involvement with the Squad where he was directly responsible on two assignments for 'pulling the trigger' and on three further occasions where he acted as covering party, not as an intel man but as a squad man.

There is also a case for Frank Thornton to be included on the 'active part time' list on account of one particular occasion whereby he was Dolan's partner in one of the operations where Dolan actually pulled the trigger.

In all of this it should be remembered that there were 'jobs' carried out both prior to the formation of the 'Twelve Apostles' and afterwards.....

So if we are to use the yardstick of those who carried weapons, accompanied, covered or actually carried out the deed on the day....prior to and post Apostles, and prior to the formation of the ASU.....Then surely it is only logical that these men are included on the list of men commonly regarded as part of the Director of Intelligence's group known as the Squad.

Comment

Working...
                                X