An Idiot's Guide to the EU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Idiot's Guide to the EU

Like many people, I'm in a state of confusion over the Brexit negotiations so I thought I'd try to overcome this by learning a bit more about the EU - going back to basics, really. So to kick it off, here's a very general account of the origins of the EU.
    After World War Two, the so-called "Founding Fathers" - a diverse group of individuals including politicians, lawyers and resistance fighters - began to look into ways of avoiding such conflicts in the future. They included Konrad Adenauer, the first Chancellor of the new Federal Republic of Germany, Britain's Winston Churchill - who, according to the EU's website, was "one of the first to call for a 'United States of Europe' ", a fact which might surprise many older Brits today - and Italy's Altiero Spinelli. All these men were united in their vision of a united, peaceful Europe, and thought the way to achieve that was through greater economic co-operation. French Foreign Minister Robert Schuman and Jean Monnet, a political and economic advisor, drew up what became known as the Schuman Plan, which was published on 9th May 1950. The plan advocated joint control of the iron and steel industry, the idea being that as these were the main ingredients of the Arms industry, such co-operation would prevent any one nation becoming dominant in that area, and therefore lessen the chances of another war.
    This led to the Treaty of Paris in 1951, which created the European Coal and Steel Community. To begin with, only six countries were involved. These were Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg and the Netherlands. In 1957, at the Treaty of Rome, the European Economic Community, or "Common Market", was formally created and, at the same time, the European Atomic Energy Community to work alongside it. In 1967, the three communities - the European Coal and Steel Community, the European Economic Community and the European Atomic Energy Community - merged into the European Communities. At this stage, the focus of the organisation was on co-operation in economic and agricultural matters.
    Last edited by KatieMorag; 01-12-2018, 08:54 PM. Reason: To be continued........

Got the makings of a great thread KT. Looking forward to your next installment.
    I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
    Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Originally posted by jembo View Post
      Got the makings of a great thread KT. Looking forward to your next installment.
      Thanks Jembo

Comment

Yes Katie I am waiting with bated breath because I can't make head nor tail of it, So Hurry up and let us all know

Comment

In the early years of the EEC, customs duties between the six member states were dropped. Joint control over food production was also established.
          On 1st January 1973, Denmark, Ireland and the UK all joined the EEC. During the 1970s, the European Parliament began to pass laws on environmental issues, and began to transfer money to poorer areas of the Community. From 1979, EU citizens were able to elect Members of the European Parliament.
          The 1980s saw futher expansion, with Greece joining in 1981, and Spain and Portugal in 1986. Also in 1986, the Single European Act was signed, beginning a six-year project dealing with the free flow of trade and ultimately leading to the establishment of the "Single Market."

Comment

I hope to be continued is there Katie because I am still at loss I remember we got new roads and a lot of benefits but I don't know how long it continued as we still are in dire need of housing

Some politicians claim house building is restricted by the EU but I don't believe that. So do continue to swat my poor brain is worn out trying to understand the continuing drama,

Although I admire Theresa May for her stance, She is superwoman she really is an iron lady

Comment

Originally posted by joan mack View Post
              I hope to be continued is there Katie because I am still at loss I remember we got new roads and a lot of benefits but I don't know how long it continued as we still are in dire need of housing
              Don't think the EU have got involved in building houses... anywhere... ever.

We got plenty in the way of funding for infrastructure in the first couple of decades after we joined... Regional Development Fund they used to call it. That effort is gone East and South in recent years.
              Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                Don't think the EU have got involved in building houses... anywhere... ever.

We got plenty in the way of funding for infrastructure in the first couple of decades after we joined... Regional Development Fund they used to call it. That effort is gone East and South in recent years.
                Is the Regional Development Fund what some people call "handouts"?

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                  Is the Regional Development Fund what some people call "handouts"?
                  I suppose so, it moves money from richer regions to the poorest regions.
                  I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                  Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

From the archives of The Guardian - a debate in the House Of Commons in 1961 on Prime Minister Harold Macmillan's decision to make a formal application for UK membership of the EEC. This was greeted in the House with shouts of 'resign' and 'traitor' by some members of his Conservative party... quelle surprise.

As it happens, the application was doomed to failure - as was a second attempt by Harold Wilson in 1967. De Gaulle was having none of it - it smacked of 'anglo-american hegemony'.

1 August 1961: Prime minister Harold Macmillan ‘not confident but hopeful’ of entry to European Economic Community
                    Last edited by cogito; 25-11-2018, 11:52 AM.
                    Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Following the reunification of Germany at the end of 1989, the 1990s brought massive changes to Europe as communist regimes collapsed.
                      It was also a period of great change for the EEC. The European Council, which was held on 9-10th December 1991, drafted the treaty on European Union. On 7th February 1992, the Treaty was signed at Maastricht in the Netherlands. The EC now became the European Union, to reflect the fact that in addition to economic matters, the new body would have greater influence in areas such as foreign and security policy and justice. European citizenship was established, enabling people greater freedom of movement between member states. A "Social Chapter" set out policies on such issues as workers' rights, although the UK opted out of this. Guidelines for countries applying for membership of the Union were also laid down. In 1995 Austria, Finland and Sweden joined the Union. Following Maastricht, the EU began working towards economic and monetary union. Tighter control of financial matters was established by the Stability and Growth Pact at the end of the decade. A further treaty, signed in Amsterdam in 1997, and becoming effective on 1st May 1999, made further changes, increasing the powers of the European Parliament in such areas as immigration and security policy.
                      Last edited by KatieMorag; 01-12-2018, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Following many years of preparation, a new European currency - the Euro - was launched in January 1999. Following a 3-year transition period, during which the Euro operated as "book money" in tandem with other currencies, coins and notes came into use on 1st January 2002. 12 member states would now use the Euro and the new currency would be administered by the newly-established European Central Bank.
                        Largely due to warmer relations between Western and Eastern Europeans, there was a huge expansion in the EU during the 2000s. Czechia (or Czech Republic), Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia all joined in 2004, along with Cyprus and Malta, and Bulgaria and Romania were welcomed into the Union in 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                          From the archives of The Guardian - a debate in the House Of Commons in 1961 on Prime Minister Harold Macmillan's decision to make a formal application for UK membership of the EEC. This was greeted in the House with shouts of 'resign' and 'traitor' by some members of his Conservative party... quelle surprise.

As it happens, the application was doomed to failure - as was a second attempt by Harold Wilson in 1967. De Gaulle was having none of it - it smacked of 'anglo-american hegemony'.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y-1961-archive
                          Thanks for that Cogs.
                          I'm going to look at the UK's relationship with the EU later on in the thread, so remind me to put this article in then.

Comment

Very good thread ...thanks Katie...

Comment

Originally posted by barefoot View Post
                              Very good thread ...thanks Katie...
                              Cheers Barefoot

Comment

Working...
                              X