Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

United Ireland - what will it look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Ireland - what will it look like?

SF strong support holding up in the polls and largest party in Stormont, Boris doing his best to encourage moderate Unionists to consider the possibility of a United Ireland so perhaps a thread on a United Ireland. It does open the possibility of not making the same mistakes we made a 100 years ago when we decided to hand over whole sections of Irish society to the Catholic Church to run. Below questions are a distillation of questions I have read from Unionists on various NI political forums when they engage in this topic.

One Parliament or regional?
    New or old flag?
    New anthem or stick with the old?
    Irish mandatory for Civil service or dropped?
    Religion banned in schools or keep faith based schools?
    How would kids from a Protestant background be integrated with Catholic kids?
    How would Protestant working classes areas of the NI be integrated?
    Mass layoffs of the NI civil service?
    Expanded military and in NATO or neutral?
    Increased terrorism from extreme loyalists?
    A reunification tax?
    July the 12th parades banned or allowed?
    State funding for Ulster Scots culture?
    Deportation of Sammy Wilson?
    How to integrate HSE and the NHS get the old NHS or better?

That's only the tip of the iceberg that needs to be answered before a United Ireland can be created. No point in attempting it and ending up another Yemen. Anyone got any answers or questions they like to throw into the pot.

My main suggestion would be keep religion out of it..... no new faith schools, more integration. Irish language lessons available but optional. Not that it has anything to do with me but that's my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
      SF strong support holding up in the polls and largest party in Stormont, Boris doing his best to encourage moderate Unionists to consider the possibility of a United Ireland so perhaps a thread on a United Ireland. It does open the possibility of not making the same mistakes we made a 100 years ago when we decided to hand over whole sections of Irish society to the Catholic Church to run. Below questions are a distillation of questions I have read from Unionists on various NI political forums when they engage in this topic.

New or old flag?
      A reunification tax?

That's only the tip of the iceberg that needs to be answered before a United Ireland can be created. No point in attempting it and ending up another Yemen. Anyone got any answers or questions they like to throw into the pot.
      Since in MHO, the NHS is on it's last legs, I do not think that part of the question matters.

Comment

No United Ireland until both fractions can live in peaceful harmony and integration with each other for at least a decade before it's even considered ...
        The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

There will always an undercurrent ..... sadly , and lasting peace will be the victim .

Comment

New or old flag?
            A reunification tax?

I would have thought a reunification tax would be very far down the Unionist list of concerns - they're probably the last ones would have to pay it.
            Last edited by cogito; 01-07-2022, 02:40 AM.
            Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Considering our own government is barely managing to keep things going here especially the health system, where would they get the money to give people the same service as in NI

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                I would have thought a reunification tax would be very far down the Unionist list of concerns - they're probably the last ones would have to pay it.
                Some very rich people living in Unionist parts of Down.

If they copy the German model it will be a wealth tax.

Comment

I wonder where in Dublin they will put the King Billy Statue.lol
                  Last edited by jembo; 09-07-2022, 09:35 PM.
                  I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                  Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Originally posted by jembo View Post
                    I wonder where in Dublin they will put the King Billy Statue.lol
                    The Liffey perhaps...
                    Everything is self-evident.

Comment

New or old flag?
                      A reunification tax?

The Brits will give yis loads of money just to rid of the North. Then walk away from a civil war. A Nation Once Again.
                      I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                      Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

I will leave this here....

It's real

Comment

Mr Trimble wont see it come to pass .... if it should .
                          Last edited by Twobob; 25-07-2022, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jembo View Post
                            The Brits will give yis loads of money just to rid of the North. Then walk away from a civil war. A Nation Once Again.
                            The North of Ireland are not any part of Westminster or the square mile plans. Look out for the Chartered Port Citys of England. They know Scotland will most likely leave. So this will be Englands brave new world. The real reason for Brexit.

Comment

Working...
                            X