No announcement yet.

Potential...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a disgraced to see any type of food wasted when so many people are starving. We have become a throw away society. When I was growing up nothing was wasted, absolutely nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
      It is a disgraced to see any type of food wasted when so many people are starving. We have become a throw away society. When I was growing up nothing was wasted, absolutely nothing.
      I was thinking more about useless stuff that comes from the far east..

Yes it is a shame about so much food being wasted as food is a high pollution commodity...
      When I was a child my much older sister had a great saying. ''when we have no dinner today, tomorrow's dinner will taste twice as nice'' ... Though we always had at least an OXO in a cup with bread...
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Well Q when people had less they were more careful and grateful for what they did have.

Comment

Well Q when people had less they were more careful and grateful for what they did have.
          Well I never thought that I didn't have enough....All my life I have wondered why people want so much..
          But one day there will be real shortages of all sorts of things and people will have to learn to cope...

Comment

there is a big move on facebook pages not to waste

freecycle pages and pay it forward pages, people post food items in their local area, there is a page for donating fruit, people volunteer to collect the fruit from the trees and distribute it to charities and people who would use it,
            a person close by me gets M&S food and flowers and posts what can be collected and what time

You can also request items you need to see if anyone has the items to pass on

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
              there is a big move on facebook pages not to waste

freecycle pages and pay it forward pages, people post food items in their local area, there is a page for donating fruit, people volunteer to collect the fruit from the trees and distribute it to charities and people who would use it,
              a person close by me gets M&S food and flowers and posts what can be collected and what time

You can also request items you need to see if anyone has the items to pass on
              I live not far from a big field where people grow food for themselves and others, everybody is allowed to use it. There are Community Centres in every ward in Cambridge where people can go for help and to help others. You can even get your bike and other things fixed for free..You can get help to do your garden if you are unable to do so..There are also Cafes where you can pop in for free meals on certain days and you are asked no questions...There are now quite a few homelessness Pods around Cambridge, 18 of them in the Ward I live in. Cambridge is a small place ( about 120,000) but has a very large student population. You can see fields all around from any high building and there are enormous open spaces within the City...I now live just within the City boundary but lived for nearly forty years in a small village five miles away..

Comment

Plans could include delaying a ban on sales of new petrol cars and the phasing out of gas boilers.

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                  I live not far from a big field where people grow food for themselves and others, everybody is allowed to use it. There are Community Centres in every ward in Cambridge where people can go for help and to help others. You can even get your bike and other things fixed for free..You can get help to do your garden if you are unable to do so..There are also Cafes where you can pop in for free meals on certain days and you are asked no questions...There are now quite a few homelessness Pods around Cambridge, 18 of them in the Ward I live in. Cambridge is a small place ( about 120,000) but has a very large student population. You can see fields all around from any high building and there are enormous open spaces within the City...I now live just within the City boundary but lived for nearly forty years in a small village five miles away..

Sounds like a great system. The opening of the charity shops helps a lot too.

Comment

Really doubling down for the white van man vote.

Comment

Sounds like a great system. The opening of the charity shops helps a lot too.
                      About 1yr ago, we had a travel agent locally, who after lockdown, decided to reduce the size of their property. They gave the building that used to house their backroom staff to our little cafe. The cafe also became the local foodbank. The funds made by the charity shop, bought foodstuffs for the foodbank. The cafe had a bank of shelves under an awning outside, with the food in crates, so that users could help themselves. Unfortunately, one couple, with a couple of shopping bags each, filled them up, took the food home and made 3 more trips, taking 16 bags of food. The cafe decided to change how they the way of running the foodbank, by issuing vouchers, to be used in the local supermarket, keeping the funds local.

Comment

Originally posted by bettyl View Post
                        About 1yr ago, we had a travel agent locally, who after lockdown, decided to reduce the size of their property. They gave the building that used to house their backroom staff to our little cafe. The cafe also became the local foodbank. The funds made by the charity shop, bought foodstuffs for the foodbank. The cafe had a bank of shelves under an awning outside, with the food in crates, so that users could help themselves. Unfortunately, one couple, with a couple of shopping bags each, filled them up, took the food home and made 3 more trips, taking 16 bags of food. The cafe decided to change how they the way of running the foodbank, by issuing vouchers, to be used in the local supermarket, keeping the funds local.
                        There's always someone ........ always .

Comment

Originally posted by Twobob View Post
                          There's always someone ........ always .
                          TB it was bad move which became good one. The local supermarket not gets the benefit of the customers using the vouchers in his store.

Comment

Originally posted by bettyl View Post
                            TB it was bad move which became good one. The local supermarket not gets the benefit of the customers using the vouchers in his store.
                            Evening Betty ........... ' It's an ill wind blah blah blah '

Comment

A bad deed, but a good outcome

Comment

Working...
                              X