Is there a heaven and hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a heaven and hell

Just thinking about the lack of belief in Ireland and probably world wide but let us talk about Ireland as of course this is an Irish forum. I see it a lot on Facebook from Irish posts Happy Heavenly birthday.So it seems people do not want to say their families or friends are dead and buried and that is it. Then dad or Mam are dead and now with each other and the rest of the family who have died etc. Apparently the bible says there is no more husband and wife in heaven maybe there are SOUL mates hmm
    today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

If there is a Heaven where partners are united, what happens if your husband or wife dies? Would you be reunited with the first or second one, or both, like a sort of heavenly threesome? I remember watching Titanic and the bit at the end where dead Rose is reunited with Jack and thinking what about Rose's poor husband! She was probably with him a lot longer than she was with Jack!
    Joking aside, I guess it's comforting to think your loved ones are together somewhere and somehow.

Comment

I recall in school in one of the parables somebody asked Jesus that very question Katie, but the answer was something to the effect that the relationship in heaven would not be like on earth. Can you imagine Henry V111 playing his harp with all the missuses, two of them headless.

Twobob this is a really interesting topic and concerns us all one way or another. The version that we were taught at school does not make sense, except we were told to accept the church's teaching on everything because they knew best. The truth is they know sweet felicity arkwright about it. As humans we can't understand the nature of a divine being, we can have an opinion, but that is al, there is no infallibility

Comment

Originally posted by silver spoon View Post
        Just thinking about the lack of belief in Ireland and probably world wide but let us talk about Ireland as of course this is an Irish forum. I see it a lot on Facebook from Irish posts Happy Heavenly birthday.So it seems people do not want to say their families or friends are dead and buried and that is it. Then dad or Mam are dead and now with each other and the rest of the family who have died etc. Apparently the bible says there is no more husband and wife in heaven maybe there are SOUL mates hmm
        I see it very simply as an individual thing..What people want to believe is up to them and if it makes them happy get on with it...

The concept of being ''Christian'' like, is there in our everyday life. There would be no Society without it. If people believe in the rewards in the afterlife then that is a very good incentive...
        Take Mohammed as an example of being ''Christian'' like..He gave his enemies a choice that was rarely given in those days. Surrender and not only will you not be slain, you will be rewarded in the afterlife.
        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
          If there is a Heaven where partners are united, what happens if your husband or wife dies? Would you be reunited with the first or second one, or both, like a sort of heavenly threesome? I remember watching Titanic and the bit at the end where dead Rose is reunited with Jack and thinking what about Rose's poor husband! She was probably with him a lot longer than she was with Jack!
          Joking aside, I guess it's comforting to think your loved ones are together somewhere and somehow.
          Katie that question is answered in the bible where a woman had seven husbands , she certainly was busy. Which one would she choose ? The answer is none .

Comment

Imagine a heaven where no one argues about the toilet seat being up , who does all the cleaning who did not put the rubbish out to mention just a few simple reason. No Body to do it. I am sure you could add to this.

Comment

Katie that question is answered in the bible where a woman had seven husbands , she certainly was busy. Which one would she choose ? The answer is none .
              That was the story I was referring to SS only I didn't remember it was the Bible, but we did learn about it at school.

The idea of hell is a load of codswallop, being punished for wrongdoing is an acceptable idea, it is how the justice system works, but for the punishment to last for ever and ever, well that is not justice it is revenge and if there is such a things as a loving God, he will not do that to those he loves.

Comment

But Vic02 where do you think all the murderous bastards Hitler Stalin Lenin Putin and all those killers rapists paedophiles etc that you and the rest of the world would dearly like them to suffer in the worst hell possible. I agree if we believe in a God he is not going to damn us because
                we fail to believe or not go to church but all will be judged on how they lived their lives and if hell is not being in a heavenly frame of mind and existing in an eternal state of despair then so be it. Surely there is a reward for living good life. As it is said if we believe Gods way is not our way. as it is said there are no atheists in a foxhole. So I think in the end mot fear a Hell if true or not

Comment

SS there is very little any of us can say re heaven or hell beyond what we imagine they might be. The fact is that even those of us who are believers cannot prove anything. Our generation was brought up with the Dante notion of hellfire and brimstone etc. that is a description in human terms, but we if are spirits when we get there, which we are supposed to be, then human tortures will not effect us. Sarte said "Hell is other People", and this is interesting. He wrote a play called No Exit in which three or four people end up in hell. There is no torture except that conflict arises and they cannot get along with each other. At the end of the play one of the characters says something to the effect of So this is Hell, I would nave have belied, no torture or burning but conflict that can't be resolved. That is not a quote, it is something along those lines and I haven't got the energy to look it up.

For me one version of hell is noise, I can't cope with it at all. For many people who live in horror and fear and abuse their hell is on earth.

I prefer the Buddhist position where Karma takes care of everything.

Comment

As Dave Allen imitating Paisley there will be gnashing of teeth. And the lady said

Comment

what if no teeth. They will be provided

Comment

Yes SS and don't forget what goes with the gnashing of teeth - the knotting of knickers

Comment

Beyond life - there is nothing. So live your life and enjoy it if you can. My opinion.
                          Last edited by cogito; 08-09-2023, 11:49 PM.
                          Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Working...
                          X