On The Liffey...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On The Liffey...

Guinness barge 'Castleknock' on the South Quays, June 26th 1959...

castleknock-barge.jpg

This is the very neat and tidy "Castleknock" - a Guinness Barge - moored on the River Liffey in Dublin (53 years ago today). Niall McAuley provided a great link to the OSI Historic Maps showing this landing stage. Meanwhile guliolopez unearthed a video of the "Castleknock" in action. Have a read of this fantastic article on the Guinness Barges from the Heritage Boat Assocation website contributed by blackpoolbeach. Thanks one and all! P.S. If there's a bit of radio silence from this end, I'd ask you to bear with me. I'm at a conference for the next four days, but I'll try to keep up with comments, etc. Date: Friday, 26 June 1959 NLI Ref.: ODEA 20/91
    Everything is self-evident.

I posted this before on the forum - can't remember where... also from the NLI... ss.Adolphine at the Custom House c.1880...

ss adolphine.jpg

The sailing ship Adolphine moored at the Custom House in Dublin, with a swivel bridge in the foreground. There are posters advertising Pleasure Trips to Lambay Island that also say "William Hall" - hardly the name of the vessel? The two-storey building beyond the Custom House is the original Liberty Hall, which I only found out yesterday was formerly the Northumberland Hotel... And this was taken at 9.35 am! Date: Circa 1880? NLI Ref.: STP_2746

Comment

nice pics cogito.

Comment

Great idea for a thread. From NLI online collection found at http://catalogue.nli.ie/
        Attached Files
        Last edited by boxman; 25-09-2012, 06:01 AM.
        Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Another from NLI http://catalogue.nli.ie/
          Attached Files
          Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

This is one of my favourites that I got from NLI http://catalogue.nli.ie/
            Attached Files
            Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

A modern one by yours truly
              Attached Files
              Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Agus aris
                Attached Files
                Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

does anybody remember a girl called penny.....she would wash herself in the liffey, at the bottom of the steps......

virtually stripped to the waist, even on very cold days........
                  Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Great pics and a great thread

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                      does anybody remember a girl called penny.....she would wash herself in the liffey, at the bottom of the steps......

virtually stripped to the waist, even on very cold days........
                      keep looking joe, she might turn up.....again.....

beaut pics of the liffey there fellas.
                      in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                        keep looking joe, she might turn up.....again.....

beaut pics of the liffey there fellas.

last time i saw her, she had just come off a belgium slag boat.......

those belgiums brought a lot of slag to dublin......
                        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

1960s...

hapenny-bridge-60s.jpg

Uploaded by Rashers at http://www.dublinforum.net/forum/sho...&postcount=530

Comment

more barges.
                            Attached Files
                            in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

I remember penny well i used to work in a garage on the quays
                              in the early sixties and penny often slept in the cars we used
                              to leave overnight outside the garage.she was well passed her
                              prime but you could see that she was once a good looking
                              woman.they also called her liverpool annie.she was an old pro
                              who used to work the quays and the story was that she would
                              do the business for a penny.it was also said that one night a
                              liverpool boat came in and she was the only woman working
                              the quays that night,so she took on the whole crew hence the
                              name liverpool annie

Comment

Working...
                              X