Phibsborough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sheelbee View Post
    A number of years ago we had experience of one of these "contractors" after we ran him, we did a bit of research on him. This guy left a litany of people in the lurch and seriously out of pocket.............He recently went belly up but not before there was a lot of damage done to people and their lives. If you met this guy on the street you would think he was "a really decent bloke"..........Do these people get a kick out of inflicting misery on other people ??
    Sheels, the punter has to take a lot of responsibility for not doing their homework first on a contractor. I wll only deal with people recommended to me by friends.....not friends of friends! ?And I always see their work before I engage them. If they kosher they always happy to show off how good they are. If a big job...extension or such, you draw up a payment plan and stick to it...no add ons because he miscalculated and always a week behind in payment...so work done!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Womblemum View Post
      Sheels, the punter has to take a lot of responsibility for not doing their homework first on a contractor. I wll only deal with people recommended to me by friends.....not friends of friends! ?And I always see their work before I engage them. If they kosher they always happy to show off how good they are. If a big job...extension or such, you draw up a payment plan and stick to it...no add ons because he miscalculated and always a week behind in payment...so work done!!
      This guy was recommended by a friend..........He then screwed our friend.........How nice was that ??
      Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift.

Comment

This guy was recommended by a friend..........He then screwed our friend.........How nice was that ??
        Ouch!!! The guy I had to rebuild my kitchen I would and have recommended 100%. He was brilliant. Gave a price, we agreed and then along the way I asked him to do my bathroom...reposition sink, loo, shower....he did that at no extra cost on the agreed figure for the labour. Not many like him about.

Comment

Thats why i rarely recommend people.......only the best because it would come back on me.
          Here are some simple rules.(womblemum has it down good)

Due your due diligience.
          Always check their work WITH their clients(sometimes they will say they did a job they never did)
          Dont use a referral service as they can be as crooked as they come.
          Dont give any money up front,wait till you see material on your site(at least if they do a runner you will have some material lol)
          NEVER give them all the money before the job is complete and hold back whatever you pay over there for lien purposes.Ours is i believe 45 days now used to be 30.

Comment

• Phibsboro proper lies between the Broadstone and the Cross Guns Bridge. On the Phibsboro Road which stretches between those two landmarks are seven well known and long standing Pubs frequented over many years by many Phibsborians. Here are two of them.

Clarkes corner of Phibsboro Road and Monck Place.

The Hut, next to Doyles Corner now Mohans formerly Hardys.

Comment

• Why do vintners try to foist their name on established landmarks..........?

I'm speaking specifically about Doyle's Corner and The Cross Guns House.

Comment

• So people can give directions to your house.

Comment

• Originally posted by tolka1 View Post
                  Thats why i rarely recommend people.......only the best because it would come back on me.
                  Here are some simple rules.(womblemum has it down good)

I'm blushing - you don't know the half of it tolka! Having said that...Jimmy..the builder....said it was a pleasure to deal with me regardless of the rules I laid down cause he knew exactly where he stood. Another thing I did was get a start and finish date, I asked him if the finish date was firm and when he said wellll it depended on weather so told him to add whatever time he felt would be needed but once agreed that for any day over that he was on site I would dock €100. He added another 2 weeks onto the original time and finished 2 days befoe the due date!

Comment

• Originally posted by Womblemum View Post
                    I'm blushing - you don't know the half of it tolka! Having said that...Jimmy..the builder....said it was a pleasure to deal with me regardless of the rules I laid down cause he knew exactly where he stood. Another thing I did was get a start and finish date, I asked him if the finish date was firm and when he said wellll it depended on weather so told him to add whatever time he felt would be needed but once agreed that for any day over that he was on site I would dock €100. He added another 2 weeks onto the original time and finished 2 days befoe the due date!
                    I hope you never hire a Gigolo..............
                    Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift.

Comment

• Literally an Institution in Phibsboro. Women's on the left, men's straight ahead.

Comment

• Two more of the seven Phibsboro Road Pubs. All seven would be close to 100 years in Phibsboro, if not more.

McGowans near the Broadstone.

Doyles at corner of same name.

Comment

• Doyles had a fire a few weeks ago

Comment

• Two Phibsboro Institutions.

Dalymount Park as it is now.

The magnificent front of the original Mater Hospital Building.

Comment

• Two more famous Phibsboro landmarks.

St.Peters National School, St.Peters Road. The main Primary Educational Institution in Phibsboro.

Shandon Mills a protected structure on the Phibsboro side of the Royal Canal at Cross Guns Bridge. Now a much sought after Apartment Complex.

Comment

• Photos of the three remaining Pubs on the Phibsboro Road, not yet featured here.

McGeoughs 'Bohemian Bar' at Doyles Corner. Formerly The Bohemian Mooney.

The Mill, formerly 'The Red Windmill' opposite Monck Place on the Phibsboro Road.

Smiths Pub near Cross Guns Bridge on the Phibsboro Road, formerly known as Bushes.

Comment

Working...
                                X