The History of Crumlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
    A lovely happy picture Joan. Happy Birthday to you by the way, it is now after twelve
    Thank you so much Vico another notch on the auld Belt you have a great memory

Comment

• Years ago in Crumlin when it was my Birthday, I would be at the window waiting for the postman

My Father always put money in a card and the anticipation was dreadful.

Knowing me so well My Dad told the postman to walk past the house and not to return until he had finished the posts on the road, By then I was almost in tears

Then the Postman who was enjoying the Prank came back and knocked on the door and with a big smile handed me my card,

Nobody was allowed fight with me at home or I with them on my birthday or theirs, That was hard as My sisters and brothers seem to take great pleasure out of annoying me on that day, Of course I got them back on their birthdays

Comment

• You dad had a good sense of humour

Comment

You dad had a good sense of humour
          Yes Vico but nothing like my Mams she was hilarious and I often think of the things she got up to and her many Dublin sayings and I still crack up laughing

I still Laugh at people saying "Its Bare Faced Lie" and when rain is ceasing I still laugh when I hear "Its Starting to Stop" My mother used to think all these sayings funny and hundreds more as well and I think Dubliners are the only people understand the, lingo

I was in Vancouver in My Daughters home when it started to rain hard, I ran to take in the clothes and a neigbour next door was in her garden and I shouted out its starting to Lash she hadn;t a clue what I meant and my daughter was highly amused

Comment

• I know what you mean Joan. I remember in the nineties I was down on Dun Laoghaire pier. At the time I was involved in the Asgard and there were a ceremony on and Charlie Haughey was there too. We were in the way at the bandstand and the Guard on duty wanted us to move. He said "if you want to stay there you'll have to move". We knew exactly what he meant, but to Americans it would be nonsense.

Comment

I know what you mean Joan. I remember in the nineties I was down on Dun Laoghaire pier. At the time I was involved in the Asgard and there were a ceremony on and Charlie Haughey was there too. We were in the way at the bandstand and the Guard on duty wanted us to move. He said "if you want to stay there you'll have to move". We knew exactly what he meant, but to Americans it would be nonsense.
              I Know exactly what he meant I think most Dubliners would lol!

I wondering what they would make of our Crumlin saying when a boy and girl were courting they were going with each other,

Comment

• yes I remember that one, and do you remember doing a line

Comment

yes I remember that one, and do you remember doing a line
                  I think before that was .... "you were walking out"
                  It is what it is.

Comment

• He is wearing

Comment

• My father used to say - when I was courting your mother. It sounded very prissy

Comment

• My Grandfather from Crumlin In the Late fifties he was about eighty and he would ask me was I spooning lol! It was so old fashioned yet a bit Dirty

Are yeh wearin was a Crumlin term
                        Last edited by joan mack; 04-05-2016, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• Comment

• Ah Joan you got me going again,and the lay teacher use to play with our Willies with her Bata,behind the Cofra in a position if anyone entered she could close the door, to hide the molestation,been there, and we were only 5 years old.

Comment

• Bad memories..

Comment

• There are a lot of very sick people out there

Comment

Working...
                                X