Clear All

• Remember this I hated being ON IT
    Attached Files

Comment

• Yes I do indeed Joan, great times

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
        Yes I do indeed Joan, great times
        Bet you remember this place Vico. My Cousin worked there in the fifties It was considered a great job, I wonder is it still there
        Attached Files

Comment

• I remember it well Joan, sure it was only down the road from where we lived. I had two aunts who worked there also. The company paid well, my aunts liked their jobs but they company was not as generous as the Guinness family. There was no free medical.

Comment

I remember it well Joan, sure it was only down the road from where we lived. I had two aunts who worked there also. The company paid well, my aunts liked their jobs but they company was not as generous as the Guinness family. There was no free medical.
            I see it was raining as usual. My Aunts lived a block away from there in a big rambling house with a long driveway it was belonging to the Bailey family of Baily Son And Gibson where my Dad and my Uncles and indeed my sisters worked.

It to was a good place to work with sports days and lots of perks but also no medical

Comment

• I remember Bailey Gibsons well. Guinness was considered the best employer and after that, Baily Gibsons. Can you remember when it closed Joan, or indeed why it did. That was a thriving business when I was growing up.

Comment

• Yes Vico it was very family orientated. My Dad started working there in the forties, He was taken on in a temporary basis a week or two of work, He had just returned from England and he missed my Mam.

He did everything he was asked to do including cleaning some blocked piping and he was deemed such a good worker that he was kept on,

Unfortunately he worked for a long time before he was made permanent. So every night way into the fifties we were praying to keep daddy in his job every night. Well daddy worked until he was almost seventy and he would have worked longer but he was paying to much tax as he was then entitled to hs pension.

I never heard him say he disliked his job in fact he seemed to enjoy it and we had Sports days and Christmas parties and mour own Doctor Friedman who happened to live around the corner, He was not free however but he was paid in part. Later my sisters joined my Dad and Dinner conversation was all about work which amused my Mam no end

Comment

• My father worked for Baileys and I remember the sports days,one day we were there and my father saw this man going around hiding and dropping cardboard discs all around the ground.My father told us to go around and pick all the discs up and keep them in our pockets.About two hours later they announced that they were having a treasure hunt and all the kids had to collect these discs and the family that collected the most discs would get a prize.Sure we had them all in our pockets and we won hands down.They couldn't understand how we collected so many.

Comment

• That is a hoot Rasher, that was your reward for being tidy and cleaning up.

Joan I remember Dr Friedman, he was about ninety seven when he died. He was a lovely man. His son Derek has a practice on Ranelagh Road

Comment

• Hi Rasher Mrs Gibson handing out the prizes to my brother and a friend.

Vico what a great age Doctor Friedman lived to. He has a son in St James Hospital also a Doctor
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Do you remember his housekeeper, she had a high pitched voice.

Comment

Do you remember his housekeeper, she had a high pitched voice.
                          No I rarely visited him he looked very stern, I went to the friendly doctor on Dolphins Barn he delivered most of my brothers and sisters and became like family

Comment

• He did look a bit stern, I think it was the heavy glasses that did it. But he was a very nice man

Comment

• Not only his glasses I never saw him smile. But Dr Phelan jumped on the bed and he called me granny when he came to the house he was like a favourite uncle. Even pulling up me vest to hear me wheezy chest he made jokes. I guess some doctors have no bedside humour

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X