Richmond Street Sth. - old and new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
    That'd be Owenie OK....he's still about....just retired and looking as young as ever....I'm still in touch.....I'm sure I must have met you sometime somewhere in those parts....You remember Sykie Riley....Pat Morrissey.....Paddy Laycock.....the Carrols moved from the Mall to Windsor Terrace.....and the Hawkins family were from around that way.
    Only found out over Christmas that 3 of the Carrroll's died this year from cancer
    The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

• Originally posted by dinny View Post
      Only found out over Christmas that 3 of the Carrroll's died this year from cancer
      Hiya Dinny....I know my old buddy Martin went with cancer OK...but wasn't aware of any others. managed to have a few reunion jars with Martin, Owenie and Pat J n others from around there just before martin went, he was hilarious with the one liners, a well missed man.
      We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
        Hiya Dinny....I know my old buddy Martin went with cancer OK...but wasn't aware of any others. managed to have a few reunion jars with Martin, Owenie and Pat J n others from around there just before martin went, he was hilarious with the one liners, a well missed man.
        DTW.....Had a drink with one of the Elders week before christmas ....she was telling me about the Carrolls

Comment

DTW.....Had a drink with one of the Elders week before christmas ....she was telling me about the Carrolls
          oh right....must find out more from PJ when I call him. Very sad situation.

Comment

• Richmond St and La Touch bridge, early 1950s.
            Attached Files
            Do what you love - love what you do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auld Decency View Post
              I had to take some photos there two years ago and ordered two coffees with sugar - they had no spoons in the pub for the sugar! I believe the pub is owned by Raymond Kearns, who bought up a lot of property in the area with a view to massive redevelopment, but who has now scarpered and left the area devastated.
              Come on auld, what did ya stir the coffee with? Pmsl

Comment

I remember Sykie Riley from the snooker hall.....he was a very good player......I remember the Carrolls on Windsor Tce......but only the girls...Breda used to hang out in our circle of friends
                That's right Sykie playd in the snooker hall.....lived in Old Camden St....his sister married my cousin, one of the Ferris's from Lombard St. Christy's Donkey.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Auld Decency View Post
                  Richmond St and La Touch bridge, early 1950s.
                  Best pic I have seen of the bridge yet,,good one AD,,when we were kids they were rippin' up the wooden cobbles and tram tracks,we carted them home in a pram for firewood,,wouldn't do it now,to the left of the pic is GA Britain's,I worked there for a while to 1969
                  I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

• Christie Bird and Daughter Annette.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Christy Bird was a country lad...he started working as a runner for a pawn Shop Owner in a Lock-Up on Charlemont Mall, then later got his own shop in Richmond St and went from there. He once won 'Best Dressed man in Dublin'
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by maire View Post
                        Come on auld, what did ya stir the coffee with? Pmsl
                        We used a fork, Maire! And here's the photo of my friend to prove it (George Bernard Shaw pub, Richmond St).
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Photo from the Irish Times announcing the opening of the Provincial Bank (now AIB) at Kelly's Corner, August 1924.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• A snap that might interest some, the facade of the Gigs Place was pulled down recently and it revealed the old front of the Mayfair Café
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Good photo Ciaran. Welcome to the forum. Some posters are from around there so they would probably remember the Mayfair. I'm not old enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by CiaranM View Post
                                A snap that might interest some, the facade of the Gigs Place was pulled down recently and it revealed the old front of the Mayfair Café
                                My friends mother worked in the Mayfair

Comment

Working...
                                X