This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
    With coffee from India.lmao. Here's the old 79 Bus to..............
    The church at Ballyfermot.
    Did nobody else bother to answer or did I just miss it.
    Old age and treachery will outdo youth and skill anyday

Comment

• sharkie,

I put that one up quite a while ago myself, sometimes an answer is not required unless its new to somebody and they might comment,...... manys the time I stood at that 'terminus' waiting for the 79.
      in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• Originally posted by john doran View Post
        For Martinb...concerning the figure overlooking Patrick's Close..

having looked over various maps and street directories I came to the conclusion ..(I could be right or wrong,)...that the figure is over a tavern at 36 Patrick Street owned at first by John and James Tunney ....
        they then became insolvent and the tavern went to Francis Mc Gowan ..

the photo is confusing at first because its Patrick Street that is in front of the viewer ....
        and Patrick Close North starts at the advertisements and continues to the right

if the photographer had stepped backwards some distance you would have had the front of Saint Patrick's Cathredal showing to the right of photo..(as you view it)

that wall with the advertising ..and the buildings after it ..were torn down ..and the park next to the Cathedral was built over it

here are some of the references I used
        1 blow up photo of Patrick's Close street sign
        2 I used Limerick alley as a focussing point
        3 directory showing Limerick alley and 36 Patrick Street in
        Great stuff Noel. That's giving me a great visualisation of the street scape too.
        The caption says it's 1908 but I'm guessing that's well wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Martinb View Post
          Great stuff Noel. That's giving me a great visualisation of the street scape too.
          The caption says it's 1908 but I'm guessing that's well wrong.
          martinb
          the Saint Patrick's Park was completed in 1904..the act to build it was passed1897.so those buildings were in the firing line for demolition from then onwards ...photo was pre 1901 at least
          Id love to know for definite about the fiqurine..my first thoughts was that it belonged to a tinware manufacturer..showing off his skills...there was one next door to 36...
          but then I saw a drawing from another angle and because it looked so substantial..I ruled it out...
          I,all keep digging...
          pp
          PPS......you gave me the new name of .....Noel....
          Last edited by john doran; 11-04-2015, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by john doran View Post
            martinb
            the Saint Patrick's Park was completed in 1904..the act to build it was passed1897.so those buildings were in the firing line for demolition from then onwards ...photo was pre 1901 at least
            Id love to know for definite about the fiqurine..my first thoughts was that it belonged to a tinware manufacturer..showing off his skills...there was one next door to 36...
            but then I saw a drawing from another angle and because it looked so substantial..I ruled it out...
            I,all keep digging...
            pp
            PPS......you gave me the new name of .....Noel....
            Ahh sure ye could do worse than a name like that, served me well for a long time now lol.

Here's a nice full view of the pic in question, the Patrick's Close street sign is clearly seen. The pic was taken by Robert French for the W M Lawrence photo company, it's believed that French actually took three quarters of the Lawrence collection of photographs.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 11-04-2015, 11:09 AM.
            We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• You guys probably already know this but for those of you who don't you may find this useful for viewing the photos on this or any other thread.

To zoom in on a web page hold down the "Ctrl" key on the bottom left of the keyboard and roll your mouse wheel forwards.

To zoom out on a web page hold down the "Ctrl" key on the bottom left of the keyboard and roll your mouse wheel backwards.

You can use to scroll bars at the bottom and the side to move around the expanded image.

To reset the screen view to normal hold down the "Ctrl" key on the bottom left of the keyboard and press the 0 (zero) key.
              Last edited by Hagar; 11-04-2015, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Ahh sure ye could do worse than a name like that, served me well for a long time now lol.

Here's a nice full view of the pic in question, the Patrick's Close street sign is clearly seen. The pic was taken by Robert French for the W M Lawrence photo company, it's believed that French actually took three quarters of the Lawrence collection of photographs.
                A closer view of the statue here. It looks like a figure wearing a turban and after lengthy discussion last time round, I seem to remember an outfitters, military or other, though I could be wrong as it was a long time ago.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Hagar View Post
                  You guys probably already know this but for those of you who don't you may find this useful for viewing the photos on this or any other thread.

To zoom in on a web page hold down the "Ctrl" key on the bottom left of the keyboard and roll your mouse wheel forwards.

To zoom out on a web page hold down the "Ctrl" key on the bottom left of the keyboard and roll your mouse wheel backwards.

You can use to scroll bars at the bottom and the side to move around the expanded image.

To reset the screen view to normal hold down the "Ctrl" key on the bottom left of the keyboard and press the 0 (zero) key.
                  I didn't know that thanks....I used another route.....here's an even closer view using your zoom method.
                  Attached Files

Comment

A closer view of the statue here. It looks like a figure wearing a turban and after lengthy discussion last time round, I seem to remember an outfitters, military or other, though I could be wrong as it was a long time ago.
                    Correction....just remembered.... the wooden figure with the (in this case) Turkish turban indicated a Tobacconist's Shop.....earlier figures were native American Indians, and later introductions for the same thing were a soldier in uniform, or a fashionable lady.
                    Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 11-04-2015, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• here is a more zoomed version ...and an overexposed one ....
                      Attached Files

Comment

Amazing transformation at the turn of the 20th to this area.....

Though I arrived forty years too late to see it, I can imagine what would have been my daily forages through Patricks Park...That Area, though not as beautiful would have been equally or even more interesting.....
                        What shops would I have peered into and what people would I have known and smiled at.....
                        The fun as a child would have been no doubt enhanced and the street wise education may even have equalled a few boring years at Trinity....
                        The Picture speaks a million words.....
                        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
                          Amazing transformation at the turn of the 20th to this area.....

Though I arrived forty years too late to see it, I can imagine what would have been my daily forages through Patricks Park...That Area, though not as beautiful would have been equally or even more interesting.....
                          What shops would I have peered into and what people would I have known and smiled at.....
                          The fun as a child would have been no doubt enhanced and the street wise education may even have equalled a few boring years at Trinity....
                          The Picture speaks a million words.....
                          And here 100 odd years later having a nap in St Pat's Park, yer old stompin ground eh.
                          Attached Files

Comment

And here 100 odd years later having a nap in St Pat's Park, yer old stompin ground eh.
                            Looks different in daylight....lol

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
                              Looks different in daylight....lol
                              Ye durty ting ye......if them benches could talk. Bet ye always paid yer deckchair money too eh. Three cheers for Arthur Guinness.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Ye durty ting ye......if them benches could talk. Bet ye always paid yer deckchair money too eh. Three cheers for Arthur Guinness.
                                Never used one in the Green........Nor, anywhere else for that matter..

I sits on my own arse....

Comment

Working...
                                X