No announcement yet.

Brendan Behan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piss artist extraordinaire ....he became a bit of a disease around the pubs of the city....a lot of people avoided him like the proverb plague....He was queer and hung out with rent boys when he could...it was fairly well known and he knew ppl talked about it....so it was out there and he knew it.

To my mind he wasn't a Joyce Synge or an O'Casey....he wasn't all that clever really....I always thought his brother Dominick was by far the more clever wordsmith of the two....
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
      Piss artist extraordinaire ....he became a bit of a disease around the pubs of the city....a lot of people avoided him like the proverb plague....He was queer and hung out with rent boys when he could...it was fairly well known and he knew ppl talked about it....so it was out there and he knew it.

To my mind he wasn't a Joyce Synge or an O'Casey....he wasn't all that clever really....I always thought his brother Dominick was by far the more clever wordsmith of the two....
      He was a notorious piss artist and claiming "I only drink on two occasions—when I'm thirsty and when I'm not. Seen him a few times and he was always pissed. Got thrown of more pubs than I care to remember.
      I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
      Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Originally posted by jembo View Post
        He was a notorious piss artist and claiming "I only drink on two occasions—when I'm thirsty and when I'm not. Seen him a few times and he was always pissed. Got thrown of more pubs than I care to remember.
        And barred from more than I've ever been in

Comment

Was Brendan mugged in Crumlin Christmas 1963, or did he just fall over and gash his head ? he couldn't tell his Mrs or the Cops....but he lost a lot of blood from a very nasty gash to the head.....

Comment

I read of biography of Behan years ago. His life as a young lad was complicated. Old Mrs Behan, that is the granny was the boss of the family. Brendan's mother didn't dare go against her. The old lady was helping to keep them. They had very little money and the granny gave them money for food etc. Only for her they would have been very stuck.

The granny loved Brendan and used to take around to lots of places. But when he was only 7 she used to take him into pubs and get him guinness. These days that would not happen. His mother objected to the alcohol because he was only a child, but granny got her way.

Brendan's mother was married twice, the first time to a Mr Furling and they had I think about five or six children. He died and she married Behan and had another five or six children.

Comment

Working...
            X