Arthur Fields The man On The Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arthur Fields The man On The Bridge

Just have a look in here for Dublin's photo history........ http://www.manonbridge.ie/

Man on Bridge is a photo collection project that gathers the photos and tells the story of Arthur Fields, a street photographer who captured passersby on Dublin’s O’Connell Bridge from the 1930s to the 1980s.

The story of Arthur and the photos he took culminated in a book , an exhibition and a television documentary that was broadcast on RTE 1 on the 28th of December 2014. Follow the project on Facebook for future screenings

Arthur took hundreds of thousands of photos throughout his career but no negatives survive. The goal of the project is to gather these photos from personal collections and create an alternative photographic archive of Dublin city, one that reveals how we lived, how the city and its people changed over fifty years.

Arthur was just one of many street photographers who worked in Dublin over the years. Although he was the most prominent and enjoyed the lengthiest career as a street photographer, this website also aims to celebrate the other photographers who shared the streets with Arthur.
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Good stuff Dam .

Comment

went in to Clerys when his family were there scanning the photos people brought in, great to see all the people in the queue and listen to their stories

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
        went in to Clerys when his family were there scanning the photos people brought in, great to see all the people in the queue and listen to their stories
        Originally posted by Twobob View Post
        Good stuff Dam .
        The search facility is magic.... I tried to upload but something not quite happening....will try again later.

Comment

I gotta horse.
          O’Connell Bridge photographer Arthur Fields with Prince Monolulu
          Attached Files
          I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
          Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Art Fields...snapped me n ma n da.....wit the buckehh n spade. 1953...Not sure who did the Santy wans mind ya...... Has anyone got anymore ?
            Attached Files

Comment

Arthur snapped me a few times when i was a teen......and myself and mrs D when we were dating ....
              The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post
                Arthur snapped me a few times when i was a teen......and myself and mrs D when we were dating ....
                stick em up Din.....dare ya.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                  Eh....my scanner is not working
                  The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

I bet you couldn't wait to get to the Coal-Boat with that bucket..
                    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post
                      Eh....my scanner is not working

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                        I bet you couldn't wait to get to the Coal-Boat with that bucket..
                        Can ye work out what it says on me Ma's paper bag ?.
                        Looks like "Ah Bless' but oi doubt it.

Comment

Made Communion in 1953 and on the day went with the Ma to see a friend or relation of hers. Clearly remember paying out of Communion 1s 3d for street photo. Never got it and as only one of 8 siblings with no photo as a child I have been carrying a grudge all my life and claim I was so ugly nobody would take my photo and the street one was collected and was torn to shreds. Heavy burden to carry but being the miserly git that I am I know its the loss of the 1s 3d that gets me most of all ! When the Arthur Fields book idea came along I went in to Clerys with a few old photos as an excuse to find out if there was archives the Fields family could browse for a negative or even my original photo. Unfortunately Arthur and his wife never kept negatives so lucked out.

Not muck luck also in that De la Salle Ballyer seems to have taken group photos from 1952 onwards but no trace of one for 1953 ! 1953 being the year the then new church in Ballyer opened ya would think that first year of Communions would have been a special photo for posterity !!

Its genuine I am the only sibling with no photos from childhood but luck did change a couple of years ago when what appears on my Facebook page but a group photo of Confirmation in James St Bros and my puss is included. We can give out about Facebook has been good to me in a small way.

Posting this is helping me to purge just a little bit the grudge I have carried for so long.

What would 1s 3d be worth now ??

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Monks View Post
                            Made Communion in 1953 and on the day went with the Ma to see a friend or relation of hers. Clearly remember paying out of Communion 1s 3d for street photo. Never got it and as only one of 8 siblings with no photo as a child I have been carrying a grudge all my life and claim I was so ugly nobody would take my photo and the street one was collected and was torn to shreds. Heavy burden to carry but being the miserly git that I am I know its the loss of the 1s 3d that gets me most of all ! When the Arthur Fields book idea came along I went in to Clerys with a few old photos as an excuse to find out if there was archives the Fields family could browse for a negative or even my original photo. Unfortunately Arthur and his wife never kept negatives so lucked out.

Not muck luck also in that De la Salle Ballyer seems to have taken group photos from 1952 onwards but no trace of one for 1953 ! 1953 being the year the then new church in Ballyer opened ya would think that first year of Communions would have been a special photo for posterity !!

Its genuine I am the only sibling with no photos from childhood but luck did change a couple of years ago when what appears on my Facebook page but a group photo of Confirmation in James St Bros and my puss is included. We can give out about Facebook has been good to me in a small way.

Posting this is helping me to purge just a little bit the grudge I have carried for so long.

What would 1s 3d be worth now ??
                            Great little story and I'm sorry ye were left out in the Brownie Box Camera stakes.....

In 1955, £0 1s 3d would have the same spending worth of 2005's £1.09

Would it be adding insult to injury to say I got a school pic and a confo pic from what was in the house when I left for the big wide world.

And the oul school pic for 1/6 or 3 for 2/6 I think. Anyway June 1959.

Confo at the side door Harrington Street with my bezzie mate of the day Francie Ward.....1960.

Oh, and Oblates, Inchicore Holy Commotion Day visiting 1957....with Sis n Cuz.

Priceless now...... Show us your one an only pic then Pat.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Great little story and I'm sorry ye were left out in the Brownie Box Camera stakes.....

In 1955, £0 1s 3d would have the same spending worth of 2005's £1.09

Would it be adding insult to injury to say I got a school pic and a confo pic from what was in the house when I left for the big wide world.

And the oul school pic for 1/6 or 3 for 2/6 I think. Anyway June 1959.

Confo at the side door Harrington Street with my bezzie mate of the day Francie Ward.....1960.

Oh, and Oblates, Inchicore Holy Commotion Day visiting 1957....with Sis n Cuz.

Priceless now...... Show us your one an only pic then Pat.
                              Thought you were a Clanbrasil Street lad but of course as with so many you prob moved out of city to Inchicore ? Few Monks moved to Inchicore and settled, grandfather to The Ranch where the Da was born and reared. All railway people.

Attaching the photo Facebook obliged me with and cropped one of myself. trying to figure a while now what year actually made Confo
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X