This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
    This gateway is the original entrance to an old Theatre, Theatre Royal, built in 1733 (more info later). Seems it was up for grabs at one time during the Tiger years, but saved....it's now part of a possible conservation regeneration of the whole area....if and when the money comes in again, unfortunately decay sets in while we wait.

the two houses between the gate and the lane......were known to us as the haunted houses......when the were ''abandoned''...it seems that people just walked out and left.......furniture bedding curtains were all left there.....

they knocked them down to ist floor height, and they then became our ''camp''...

we climbed up to them in the laneway on the right....at the back of the olga bar....
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• upper Stephen street was an interesting place in my childhood.....

the olga bar.....which had once been ''a place of ill repute'' was, I suppose a convenience for the army barracks just across the road (Dublin castle).......

but, for us, the ruins (it had been seriously damaged by fire) it was an adventure playground............

a few doors away.....was Longs...the leather and shoe repair wholesalers and retailors....
      the counter had compartment full of different size nails for repairing shoes.....sold by weight, you could get a pennyworth in a little brown bag......

there was then, an electric milk float works.......watching from the doorway (which was always open) passed away a little time....

then, there was a place that made wire mesh frames and enclosures........the wavy wire was assembled on a big table......

then, in two sheds at the back of no. 12 I think......a man made all sorts of brushes......

across the road, in what was once the barracks...there was the international telephone exchange......we often waved to the girls through the window..as the spoke to people '''all over the world'''

next to that, over the castle wall...we could see the telephone linesmen being trained to climb the poles and fix their lines......to see men connect up the ''mobile telephones'' and speak...was fascinating to young kids then....

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
        upper Stephen street was an interesting place in my childhood.....

the olga bar.....which had once been ''a place of ill repute'' was, I suppose a convenience for the army barracks just across the road (Dublin castle).......

but, for us, the ruins (it had been seriously damaged by fire) it was an adventure playground............

a few doors away.....was Longs...the leather and shoe repair wholesalers and retailors....
        the counter had compartment full of different size nails for repairing shoes.....sold by weight, you could get a pennyworth in a little brown bag......

there was then, an electric milk float works.......watching from the doorway (which was always open) passed away a little time....

then, there was a place that made wire mesh frames and enclosures........the wavy wire was assembled on a big table......

then, in two sheds at the back of no. 12 I think......a man made all sorts of brushes......

across the road, in what was once the barracks...there was the international telephone exchange......we often waved to the girls through the window..as the spoke to people '''all over the world'''

next to that, over the castle wall...we could see the telephone linesmen being trained to climb the poles and fix their lines......to see men connect up the ''mobile telephones'' and speak...was fascinating to young kids then....

further down they kept pigs out the back......collecting waste food for them.....was a good way to get our picture money......
        though, when we played in the ''field'' at the back.....we were often berated for making them squeal......

across the road.....was the tin factory....they made all sorts of tins for Jacobs biscuits......the noise when the gates were open.....was awful.....

back across the road again.....there was a tool shop......we watched all sorts of tools being repaired in the workshop at the back.....

then there was a butchers shop...........a few coppers worth of suet from there.....made you rush home, your mouth watering in anticipation of the delicious fried bread that was made from the melted down fat......

then another tool shop........where the man stood in the window sharpening saws.....watching the precise movments of the three sided file and the man expertly eyeing up the angles.......was fascinating....

I forgot about my pals granny...she lived in number ten......

working for Wofsons in golden lane during the day, she would then work at home every evening to make enough to live on....she made bales.....they are made by sewing sacks together in a certain way.....she had a hook attached to the mantelpiece to hold the sacks while she sewed them with a very large steel needle with an eye big enough to put twine through.....

constantly stopping to take her ''snuff'' which came in a white triangle shaped paper bag......

Comment

• Cattle in Denmark St on the way to the boat I'd say
          Attached Files

Comment

further down they kept pigs out the back......collecting waste food for them.....was a good way to get our picture money......
            though, when we played in the ''field'' at the back.....we were often berated for making them squeal......

across the road.....was the tin factory....they made all sorts of tins for Jacobs biscuits......the noise when the gates were open.....was awful.....

back across the road again.....there was a tool shop......we watched all sorts of tools being repaired in the workshop at the back.....

then there was a butchers shop...........a few coppers worth of suet from there.....made you rush home, your mouth watering in anticipation of the delicious fried bread that was made from the melted down fat......

then another tool shop........where the man stood in the window sharpening saws.....watching the precise movments of the three sided file and the man expertly eyeing up the angles.......was fascinating....

I forgot about my pals granny...she lived in number ten......

working for Wofsons in golden lane during the day, she would then work at home every evening to make enough to live on....she made bales.....they are made by sewing sacks together in a certain way.....she had a hook attached to the mantelpiece to hold the sacks while she sewed them with a very large steel needle with an eye big enough to put twine through.....

constantly stopping to take her ''snuff'' which came in a white triangle shaped paper bag......
            That's all great social history Joe, and brill for those behind us who will be able to bring it up at the touch of a keypad later on....priceless is more to the point, for those with an interest, well done you....have a pinch a snuff and a large wan on me.
            We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by jeangenie View Post
              Cattle in Denmark St on the way to the boat I'd say
              Great pic JG, and how many of us made a few bob every week helping the drover get them beasts through the city eh....and the ones that went astray....into hall-ways and shops, jaze the craic trying to get them out....and having to make sure the main lot were kept together...I'm glad I was born into those days.....makes you appreciate anything better ye got later.
              Nelson 'threw the head', for sure
              Attached Files

Comment

Great pic JG, and how many of us made a few bob every week helping the drover get them beasts through the city eh....and the ones that went astray....into hall-ways and shops, jaze the craic trying to get them out....and having to make sure the main lot were kept together...I'm glad I was born into those days.....makes you appreciate anything better ye got later.
                Nelson 'threw the head', for sure

I was sent out to get the shoite, for my mam's roses.....

Comment

I was sent out to get the shoite, for my mam's roses.....
                  my nickname was Scarab......lol

Comment

That's all great social history Joe, and brill for those behind us who will be able to bring it up at the touch of a keypad later on....priceless is more to the point, for those with an interest, well done you....have a pinch a snuff and a large wan on me.

Thank you lads, all that info I always learn so much on here from you lads.

Noel - thanks for that map. That graveyard site is right outside the window of my flat, it's actually still waste ground right now, it's clear level ground from chancery through to ship street.

I'm really surprised of the scale of the old churches in the area. That was some info you gave there Noel ,I will be doing more digging on those churches , St Peter on the mount and St Stephens church. Thanks a million for gathering it up.

A theatre on Longford street, Now that is very interesting Noel. I'm dying to hear more on that.

Joe - That was more info than I ever thought I'd ever get on the area, fascinating stuff to read. I thank you bigtime for contributing so much to my question. It was a right little industrious hive of activity.

You are going to murder me but I have more questions to your great answers to my previous questions.

So was the Olga bar right here where this picture was taken? And was there a lane way beside it that went through to Stephens street?

Where did they keep the those pigs? was it on golden lane or chancery?

I would love to get my eyes on that Perkins shop , butchers, tool shop, or any of those little business you saw as a young fella.

Thanks lads.

Comment

• Originally posted by Martinb View Post
                      Thank you lads, all that info I always learn so much on here from you lads.

Noel - thanks for that map. That graveyard site is right outside the window of my flat, it's actually still waste ground right now, it's clear level ground from chancery through to ship street.

I'm really surprised of the scale of the old churches in the area. That was some info you gave there Noel ,I will be doing more digging on those churches , St Peter on the mount and St Stephens church. Thanks a million for gathering it up.

A theatre on Longford street, Now that is very interesting Noel. I'm dying to hear more on that.

Joe - That was more info than I ever thought I'd ever get on the area, fascinating stuff to read. I thank you bigtime for contributing so much to my question. It was a right little industrious hive of activity.

You are going to murder me but I have more questions to your great answers to my previous questions.

So was the Olga bar right here where this picture was taken? And was there a lane way beside it that went through to Stephens street?

Where did they keep the those pigs? was it on golden lane or chancery?

I would love to get my eyes on that Perkins shop , butchers, tool shop, or any of those little business you saw as a young fella.

Thanks lads.
                      martinb.....the olga bar was where the red brick building is now......on the corner of Stephen street....

the pigs were kept in 13 or 14 Stephen street......

the lane at the back of the olga bar.......only went down to the yard of the electric float makers....

I still suffer leg problems, from dropping off the roof of that building,.....we we being chased by the coppers......

there was always two dealers at the corner of Stephen street/georges street.......one side sold fruit...the other sold fish or to be precise..fresh herrings.....

the other shop in Longford street was the barbers .......they were experts in hand clippers and yanking......

Comment

martinb.....the olga bar was where the red brick building is now......on the corner of Stephen street....

the lane at the back of the olga bar.......only went down to the yard of the electric float makers....

I still suffer leg problems, from dropping off the roof of that building,.....we we being chased by the coppers......

there was always two dealers at the corner of Stephen street/georges street.......one side sold fruit...the other sold fish or to be precise..fresh herrings.....

the other shop in Longford street was the barbers .......they were experts in hand clippers and yanking......
                        the poster ''goldenlaner'' was recently speaking to a lad that worked in the electric car shop, and lived in Stephen street.......
                        when he gets on, maybe he will contact him for you.......he moved from Stephen street to macdonagh house........I doubt if he lives there now......he lived in the top right hand flat...the first door you come to when you come up chancery lane......

Comment

• a little story......

there was a cigarette/sweet shop near the bottom of stephen street......nobody lived- in......

the double panelled doors were locked each evening with the worlds biggest padlocks.....

well, some clever Dublin kids decided they wanted some cigarettes.....the were kept on the shelf facing the doors......

using a skill learned from fret sawing.......they made a hole in one of the top door panels, then with a hacksaw blade (the same blade used to cut the head off the bollard in piles buildings) they cut the panel out........a bow and arrow (every Dublin kid knew how to make one) with a string tied to the arrow, was fired into the big packets of john players and was used to haul the cigarette packet through.the hole in the door.......

i had a secret admiration for those kids...lol

Comment

a little story......

there was a cigarette/sweet shop near the bottom of stephen street......nobody lived- in......

the double panelled doors were locked each evening with the worlds biggest padlocks.....

well, some clever Dublin kids decided they wanted some cigarettes.....the were kept on the shelf facing the doors......

using a skill learned from fret sawing.......they made a hole in one of the top door panels, then with a hacksaw blade (the same blade used to cut the head off the bollard in piles buildings) they cut the panel out........a bow and arrow (every Dublin kid knew how to make one) with a string tied to the arrow, was fired into the big packets of john players and was used to haul the cigarette packet through.the hole in the door.......

yes, i went to dangean on may occasions to visit them.....

Comment

That's great info Joe thanks a million. I hope you realise how appreciative I am for all of it. Thank you.

Comment

a little story......

LMAO...kin scallywag ye.

Comment

Working...
                                X