X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should that not be Butty Sugrue the bloke that used to do the strong man act, and who had himself buried alive for a bet?
    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rashers View Post
      Should that not be Butty Sugrue the bloke that used to do the strong man act, and who had himself buried alive for a bet?
      probably was rashers......bunny to us....... may not have been right.....
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
        probably was rashers......bunny to us....... may not have been right.....
        Would this be him? http://buttysugrue.webs.com/

Comment

Would this be him? http://buttysugrue.webs.com/

i'd say that was him........

I've never drank in his pub.....

I went in there once to see my dad, but he only went in there with a friend who iived in England.....and came home now and again.....my mam used to look after his flat in kevin street when he was away.....and get it ready for him when he came home.....

I think he knew butty......he was a Kerry man as well.....

I just spoke to him for seconds in London.....he remembered my dad....

Comment

Should that not be Butty Sugrue the bloke that used to do the strong man act, and who had himself buried alive for a bet?
            Rashers - Quinner

Do either of you remember the bar that was there before the Napper?

Comment

• Originally posted by Martinb View Post
              Rashers - Quinner

Martinb......I have heard both pubs being referred to by other names.....but cannot remember them......

but, that was normal for pubs in those days.......

Comment

• What traffic ?.
                Attached Files
                We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Rashers - Quinner

Nope, I'm a foreigner from the Northside.

Comment

• 1916?
                    Last edited by bigby; 23-09-2021, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Last edited by bigby; 23-09-2021, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• Graveyard on chancery

This one is for quinner.

You mentioned on another thread that a graveyard used to be on chancery lane? Where was it? Would it be where the house at the end of this pic stood?
                        Attached Files

Comment

This one is for quinner.

You mentioned on another thread that a graveyard used to be on chancery lane? Where was it? Would it be where the house at the end of this pic stood?
                          Martin b........it is hard to judge the distance......and a long time ago..

the school was about halfway on the right.....and the church and graveyard was near the bottom to the right, between the lane and ship street.....the graveyard was between them......

I think the gate on the right was the first Dockrells gate......the school was inside and to the left....sat on it's own ground if I remember right.....

I assume the first house seen on the right.....became the four flat block...a hallway with a flat on each side with flats above them......the landing was open with railings....similar to piles buildings, though built in brick......

Comment

• Longford st

Can anyone tell me what the premises was at the start of the street?

Quinner mentioned that the shop with the lady walking by was called Perkins, but what did they sell or do? All info is very much appreciated.

As we are on Longford street. I would love to find out more about that red archway that is left today, it's opposite the houses in this pic.

Why is it left standing and did it exist before the roller rink? It looks fairly old. On the roller rink, was the front entrance on Auinger street?
                            Attached Files

Comment

This one is for quinner. You mentioned on another thread that a graveyard used to be on chancery lane? Where was it? Would it be where the house at the end of this pic stood?
                              The disused graveyard was between Gt Ship and Chancery Lane, Mart. Where the red star is = G Yd Dis...in the centre under the big R.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Can anyone tell me what the premises was at the start of the street?
                                Exactly what building Mart ? shop at the right of pic or left ?.

Comment

Working...
                                X