What Are You Reading ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
    just now reading, hidden Dublin by frank Hopkins and and next, fighting irish, by gavin hughes, the irish regiments in world war one...... also browsing some of the newspapers that were on sale during the 1916 celebrations, some great news and daily living stories and pics/ads from the period. ...I had lots of time to read and surf the web over the last two months but glad to say back to work on Monday.
    Coincidentally , I'm reading Hidden Dublin as well Cosmo.I read it about 5 years ago but am re -reading it and using some of the stories for the Dublin History thread .

Comment

I got the hidden dublin too around tge time i changed to using the kindle i didnt read it and havent seen it around wonder is it possible to downloard from amazon

Comment

not reading much at the moment, I`m reduced to reading Charlie dickens, about twenty or so years ago I bought a complete volume of his works, just after I read that he was a sectarian racist [anti irish] so I never bothered to read any of them, now I`m rock bottom regarding reading material so I picked up one of the books , a lot of his stories are hard to follow ,a bit like uleyces , I wonder was joyce influenced by dickens. anyway fathers day this week maybe I`ll get a book or two.
        in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
          not reading much at the moment, I`m reduced to reading Charlie dickens, about twenty or so years ago I bought a complete volume of his works, just after I read that he was a sectarian racist [anti irish] so I never bothered to read any of them, now I`m rock bottom regarding reading material so I picked up one of the books , a lot of his stories are hard to follow ,a bit like uleyces , I wonder was joyce influenced by dickens. anyway fathers day this week maybe I`ll get a book or two.
          I don't think he's anything like Joyce. Having said that, I can't stand Dickens.......did Nicholas Nickleby at school, and read A Christmas Carol because my husband bought me the book for Christmas. Tried to read A Tale of Two Cities and managed a couple of chapters. Find Dickens very depressing; all these weird old characters that sound like they need a good wash......and if something can be described in a couple of words Charlie will make it a paragraph......not for me I'm afraid.

Comment

Ive for the first time in my entire whole 38 years run into a road block on reading ..last book i read was "Who Remembers Keogh Square" ive downloaded a couple of books to start up again..but just cant work up the motivation..this has never happened to me before, i generally have at least two books on the go together... im wondering if i developed ADHD or something..

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
              Ive for the first time in my entire whole 38 years run into a road block on reading ..last book i read was "Who Remembers Keogh Square" ive downloaded a couple of books to start up again..but just cant work up the motivation..this has never happened to me before, i generally have at least two books on the go together... im wondering if i developed ADHD or something..
              What sort of books do you like reading? Any favourite genres?

Comment

A little bit of everything katie...i like you read crime fiction a lot.....a little bit of autobiographies, and im a nutter for these self help books not that any of them every helped me lol...

right now im reading nothing cos i seem to be blocked....ive no idea why....since i was a kid i always had something if not two books on the go together....ive never not been able to read.....but everything ive lifted in the past month or two ive thrown down..they either dont hold my attention or i thought they were boring shyte lol....I do like "swedish Noir" though and i think ive almost gone thro all the authors lol I hate..absolutely hate anything even remotely romantic ......

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                  A little bit of everything katie...i like you read crime fiction a lot.....a little bit of autobiographies, and im a nutter for these self help books not that any of them every helped me lol...

right now im reading nothing cos i seem to be blocked....ive no idea why....since i was a kid i always had something if not two books on the go together....ive never not been able to read.....but everything ive lifted in the past month or two ive thrown down..they either dont hold my attention or i thought they were boring shyte lol....I do like "swedish Noir" though and i think ive almost gone thro all the authors lol I hate..absolutely hate anything even remotely romantic ......
                  Well as I've said I'd highly recommend Elly Griffiths and her Ruth Galloway series. Ruth is an archeologist, a bit overweight, slightly insecure. She lives in an isolated cottage on the saltmarshes in Norfolk..
                  she is approached for her expertise by DI Harry Nelson of Kings Lynn CID with whom she falls in love.......problem is he's married to the beautiful Michelle.......as well as Ruth and Nelson a whole host of endearing characters populate the pages of Elly's books, and after finishing one you find you can't wait for the next - well, I can't, anyway......first one is called "The Crossing Places".

Comment

Just finished Lonely Girl by josephine cox. Pretty intense reading with twists & turns in the storyline. I'lll be starting a Marian keyes novel soon. Both of these i got in the library. I know theres a few books in my bedroom which are yet to be read lol.
                    UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Reading at the moment...

Ireland In The 1950s; The Lost Decade.

Dermot Keogh / Finbarr O' Shea / Carmel Quinlan

More a collection of essays than a single narrative - not exactly a barrel of laughs.
                      Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Perhaps merge thread with the one in Arts section, as a sticky? Call it Ireland History books or something? All the books about social history (tenement life etc.) could go there. Just a suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                          Perhaps merge thread with the one in Arts section, as a sticky? Call it Ireland History books or something? All the books about social history (tenement life etc.) could go there. Just a suggestion.
                          Any ideas are appreciated... this particular thread was just intended as a general 'what are ye reading ?' thing to try and kickstart some activity in the Books section - I hadn't seen it as particularly tied to Dublin history or culture.

Are you proposing we relocate the thread in Arts to this section maybe ?

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                            Any ideas are appreciated... this particular thread was just intended as a general 'what are ye reading ?' thing to try and kickstart some activity in the Books section - I hadn't seen it as particularly tied to Dublin history or culture.

Are you proposing we relocate the thread in Arts to this section maybe ?
                            Yes, that was the idea. I see your point about generating interest in the Books section, however threads like this tend to produce a couple of posts in response and then fizzle out and get lost. I think DTW had a thread like this going already, "What are yiz reading" or something.
                            My idea for a sticky thread was so that if someone then put up a thread about, for example, a book on growing up in Dublin in the 1960s it could be merged into this one and then all such books would be in the one place for future reference, if that makes any sense. Like a sort of data base.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                              Yes, that was the idea. I see your point about generating interest in the Books section, however threads like this tend to produce a couple of posts in response and then fizzle out and get lost. I think DTW had a thread like this going already, "What are yiz reading" or something.
                              My idea for a sticky thread was so that if someone then put up a thread about, for example, a book on growing up in Dublin in the 1960s it could be merged into this one and then all such books would be in the one place for future reference, if that makes any sense. Like a sort of data base.
                              Ello Matey Toerag.... hope yer well....ye know dat Coggers fella hijacked me 'Warriyizreadin' thread, an made it all poshed up so he did.....sure why would ye bother eh..... Anyway as I have a birra time te kill... I can say oim readin a buke called "NO PICNIC" by Major General Julian Howard Atherden Thompson, CB, OBE Royal marines Rtd. It certainly was no picnic for anyone at the time, for sure.
                              We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                                Ello Matey Toerag.... hope yer well....ye know dat Coggers fella hijacked me 'Warriyizreadin' thread, an made it all poshed up so he did.....
                                If someone would provide a link to the 'Warriyizreadin' thread then it could be merged or something - maybe after being retitled 'Worthy Tomes To Browse Through' - (hardbacks only) - that sorta thing...

Comment

Working...
                                X