why Suicide...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
    Ok, here's a little story. A man lost his wife to cancer at a very young age. She was just 42. Their daughters were grown, but just barely as they were 23, 21 and 19. The man never recovered from his wife's death. He could no longer be a father, a brother, a son. As his grandchildren were born he barely acknowledge them. He was trapped in his own sadness. He tried to kill himself several times. Each time his daughters would leave their families to go to him. They could never get him to understand how much he was loved and needed. He told them over and over, year after year that he'd never be happy until he was with their mother again.
    One morning his sister stopped by with some coffee and muffins as was her habit. She found him on the living room floor. He had finally found peace. He had gone to his wife. His 90 year old father rushed to the house and walked into see his son dead on the floor in a pool of blood. The father knelt next to him and lifted his son into his arms and prayed for him as he cried for his son.
    This was six years ago. My father was 65 years old. He waited 22 years to die and when he finally succeeded we cried for loss of our father. The truth was we lost him the day our mother died. And we cried because he was finally at peace.
    I am vey moved by this Eileen .. and sorry for your loss.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Comment

Thank you all. It is sad. It's sad we didn't have a father after our mother died but it's sadder that in his sadness he could no longer be part of all the things she loved. I can't say I understand depression, not being prone to it myself (thank God) but I know many people who struggle with it and I love someone who saw no wait out. Suicide is someone saying "I've had enough. I can't do it anymore." Each case is different I suppose but that's my experience.

Comment

Eileen that is heartbreaking, hugs to you for you ,and your siblings loss!

Comment

Eileen I'm so sorry.....that must be a terrible weight to carry around x
          It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
            ss..you are talking about depression etc........

I am referring to people who commit suicide.....Maybe some do commit suicide when they are depressed, but from what I have heard there are millions suffering from depression........They do not all commit suicide.....

I am only concerned with those that take the ''final step''.....Whether they suffer from depression or not.......

whether it is somebody I know or somebody that comes up to me in the street, I would like them to know that I am there if needed when they feel so low that there seems no way out.......And they can also approach anybody that is available.......
            quinner depression is the major link, in my opinion to suicide, of course there are degrees of depression, but if left untreated and not recognized by family or friends, it can be fatal. I was so sad to hear Eileens story, Eileen's family tried to reassure her father.quinner you will not meet anyone on the street that you will be able to help, unless you want to spend a lot of time and really get to know them. If you know someone with depression, and they are willing to accept your help, then the same applies. It is not easy. How are you going to find someone who will take the final step.?
            today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Comment

Ok, here's a little story. A man lost his wife to cancer at a very young age. She was just 42. Their daughters were grown, but just barely as they were 23, 21 and 19. The man never recovered from his wife's death. He could no longer be a father, a brother, a son. As his grandchildren were born he barely acknowledge them. He was trapped in his own sadness. He tried to kill himself several times. Each time his daughters would leave their families to go to him. They could never get him to understand how much he was loved and needed. He told them over and over, year after year that he'd never be happy until he was with their mother again.
              One morning his sister stopped by with some coffee and muffins as was her habit. She found him on the living room floor. He had finally found peace. He had gone to his wife. His 90 year old father rushed to the house and walked into see his son dead on the floor in a pool of blood. The father knelt next to him and lifted his son into his arms and prayed for him as he cried for his son.
              This was six years ago. My father was 65 years old. He waited 22 years to die and when he finally succeeded we cried for loss of our father. The truth was we lost him the day our mother died. And we cried because he was finally at peace.
              OMG Eileen thats heartbreaking but fair play to u for sharing it.
              UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by silver spoon View Post
                quinner depression is the major link, in my opinion to suicide, of course there are degrees of depression, but if left untreated and not recognized by family or friends, it can be fatal. I was so sad to hear Eileens story, Eileen's family tried to reassure her father.quinner you will not meet anyone on the street that you will be able to help, unless you want to spend a lot of time and really get to know them. If you know someone with depression, and they are willing to accept your help, then the same applies. It is not easy. How are you going to find someone who will take the final step.?
                ss, I doubt if I have the skills or the means to cure depression.....Though I am know for always having a bright and optimistic outlook that would take time to rub off onto those around me.....

The thread is about suicide only, Just stopping people from taking the final step.........Helping at the critical moment.......

I believe it would be impossible to stop people thinking about it.....But, stopping people actually Doing it I believe is a completely different matter....

Millions of people suffering from depression in the UK, does not result in millions of suicides......

Personally, I know little about depression, I cannot comprehend how people can feel so low with so much on offer.......That of course is only me as an individual person.......
                Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

But Joe, sadly I think that's the point. You can't stop it. Unless you are with someone 24 hours a day - never taking your eyes off of them, you can't stop them. Some people think about it but never act on it. But someone who truly wants to leave this world will find a way regardless of the help they receive, support they're given and the unconditional love surrounding them.

Comment

quinner there you have it.as Eileen said.you will never help anyone as you fail to see the point, and as you say you cannot understand why anyone would feel depressed, so my opinion is you should look back on the comments and LISTEN, otherwise you are sounding like you never listen.

Comment

Originally posted by silver spoon View Post
                      quinner there you have it.as Eileen said.you will never help anyone as you fail to see the point, and as you say you cannot understand why anyone would feel depressed, so my opinion is you should look back on the comments and LISTEN, otherwise you are sounding like you never listen.
                      Negative again.......I don't do...giving up.....

From what I have heard in the last few years, the suicide rate in Ireland rose because of the recession.....

I firmly believe that many of those could have been saved ........

Comment

Hmmm, you raise an interesting point Joe. The recession... that's a tough one. I would imagine many people have a great deal of debt and perhaps have lost their jobs... some people become overwhelmed by the debt but the end result is exactly what you don't want to talk about - depression. They become so overwhelmed by everything that's going wrong that they can't see that it's not the end of the world. Some weather the storm - some don't.
                        There are accidently suicides. People who take drugs or drink too much. People who handle fire arms inappropriately... but those who truly mean to kill themselves are depressed. That's what kills them. Once they've lost even the slightest shred of hope - when they get to the point that they can't see a way out... they make it stop. My sisters and I call it the pit of despair. If one spends too much time down there - they believe there's only one way out.

Comment

Hmmm, you raise an interesting point Joe. The recession... that's a tough one. I would imagine many people have a great deal of debt and perhaps have lost their jobs... some people become overwhelmed by the debt but the end result is exactly what you don't want to talk about - depression. They become so overwhelmed by everything that's going wrong that they can't see that it's not the end of the world. Some weather the storm - some don't.
                          There are accidently suicides. People who take drugs or drink too much. People who handle fire arms inappropriately... but those who truly mean to kill themselves are depressed. That's what kills them. Once they've lost even the slightest shred of hope - when they get to the point that they can't see a way out... they make it stop. My sisters and I call it the pit of despair. If one spends too much time down there - they believe there's only one way out.
                          Yes Eileen......I have no doubt about the depression that can make people feel that way......
                          I do believe that many suicides are caused by depression, but many people with depression do not commit suicide.....

I am not naïve enough to think all or even many can be saved, but is not even one a great achievement....

Comment

"Happiness is an inside job."
                            "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Comment

Yes Eileen......I have no doubt about the depression that can make people feel that way......
                              I do believe that many suicides are caused by depression, but many people with depression do not commit suicide.....

I am not naïve enough to think all or even many can be saved, but is not even one a great achievement....
                              There are great strides being made in this field and as long as the person stays on their meds they can be great for all their life.Sometimes they get off the meds as they think they can handle it and that's when they get in trouble.Others are going to commit suicide unless you chain them up as that is the nature ofsome of these terrible illnesses.
                              We lived in a small town nw of Orangeville here yrs ago and in one yr in a pop of 3400 we had 18 suicides.These were mostly farmers as my friend was one of the drs in the town and you wouldn't believe some of the cases.Simple things to you or I that we would just brush off but I guess you have to walk in the sick persons shoes.
                              Iwish there was a test that could be given to new borns so you could help them out at the start buti know that they are making great strides with itand it usually takes a celebrity( robinWilliams,rock Hudson with aids ) to make people sit up and take notice.

Comment

Negative again.......I don't do...giving up.....

From what I have heard in the last few years, the suicide rate in Ireland rose because of the recession.....

I firmly believe that many of those could have been saved ........
                                qwuinner you would in my opinion save no one as you never listen, and you get upset when someone has a contary opinion to you. Quinner you keep talking about people being saved but you probably have no idea how this can be done. I tried to tell you that family and friends have to recognize the signs and hopefully can offer them solutions.

Comment

Working...
                                X