X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why argue when I'm always right....?

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
      Say you employed one sophist and the other team's sophist was better, would
      your sophist be paid if he lost the argument? Or did the argument just continue forever and the sophists got a monthly pay packet, with bonuses if
      they performed particularly well?
      If he was a good enough Sophist he would have been able to persuade his client he had won the argument, even if he had patently lost...

For a true sophist there was no objective truth - just an argument to be won by the use of logic, persuasiveness and clever rhetoric... the weaker the case the better, as it produced more of a challenge. For them, what one believes is true - because it is true for the believer... so everything is subjective.

The top Sophists of the time were like modern celebrities - thousands would flock to see and hear them when they arrived in a city... arguing even made it into the Olympic Games - intellectual wrestling for want of a better term...
      Everything is self-evident.

Comment

And " so fists "were used to quell the riots.
        today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Comment

Cogs....... was never interested in the Sophists .... while we could learn a lot from their debating skills ....... they added little to philosophy ....... which is really a search for truth.
          "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Comment

Originally posted by riposte View Post
            Cogs....... was never interested in the Sophists .... while we could learn a lot from their debating skills ....... they added little to philosophy ....... which is really a search for truth.
            Protagaros, the first self proclaimed Sophist - before writing his handbook on 'argumentative technique' - had already established himself as the world's first poetry critic... but I know that would not in any way colour your perspective Rip...

Comment

I hope you two won't be getting sophists in when the God thread is up and
              running.....but of course, you won't need them......
              I must admit, I agree with Riposte, Socrates and other eminent philosophers....using sophists would suggest a lack of integrity, and debases
              proper discussion to a the level of a cynical exercise in one-upmanship......having said that, if either of you needs help on the God thread, I am willing to sacrifice my principles for a modest fee.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                Protagaros, the first self proclaimed Sophist - before writing his handbook on 'argumentative technique' - had already established himself as the world's first poetry critic... but I know that would not in any way colour your perspective Rip...
                My favourites are The Cynics and the Skeptics.
                "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                  ...having said that, if either of you needs help on the God thread, I am willing to sacrifice my principles for a modest fee...
                  Careful Riposte... that sounds vaguely illegal...

Comment

Careful Riposte... that sounds vaguely illegal...
                    He can't hear you....he's listening to the Skeptics on his i-pod

Comment

dont forget in those days too they had no Telly and were starved for entertainment...nowadays we have the presidential debates

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                        dont forget in those days too they had no Telly and were starved for entertainment...nowadays we have the presidential debates
                        And both employ spin doctors, speech writers, 'advisors' - and are carefully coached in their 'argumentative techniques' - to study and expose the contradictions in their opponents position and statements - modern sophism in action.

Comment

Originally posted by riposte View Post
                          My favourites are The Cynics and the Skeptics.
                          both good bands

Comment

And both employ spin doctors, speech writers, 'advisors' - and are carefully coached in their 'argumentative techniques' - to study and expose the contradictions in their opponents position and statements - modern sophism in action.
                            Thats what it is all about,spin...........Which just goes to show that the general public dont do their homework as many just dont have the time, what with working,commuting,kids this that and the other and to bed.
                            My experience here is that nth americans are very easily led.

Comment

“We will not allow atheist groups from outside of the state of Texas to come into the state to use menacing and misleading intimidation tactics to try to bully schools to bow down at the altar of secular beliefs,”
                              Now .... that's what I like to hear..... we could do with a bit of that around here.

Read the latest lifestyle news in Canada. From health and wellness, to fashion and beauty, to home decor, we have all your lifestyle needs covered.

Comment

Texas christians...

“We will not allow atheist groups from outside of the state of Texas to come into the state to use menacing and misleading intimidation tactics to try to bully schools to bow down at the altar of secular beliefs,”
                                Taliban spokesman on shooting of 14 year old girl...

"The Tehrik Taliban Pakistan (TTP) is not opposed to female education but it is against the co-education system and the secular teachings which clearly violate the Islamic Shariah,''
                                Secularism has its work cut out...

You sure you're on the right thread Riposte.. ??

Comment

Working...
                                X